Author Topic: Not our time?  (Read 10372 times)

Re: Not our time?
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2021, 08:45:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think your right, Goldstar.

I do think a guy like Bobby Portis could have helped us for 5 million a year.

I am almost convinced we delayed the Thompson trade just so we could say we did not have to use the exception and stay under the tax.  By the time it comes through everyone will be gone and they act it out when I suspect it was by design.

« Reply #76 on: August 03, 2021, 08:52:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I know that I’m in the minority here, but I feel like Brad and ownership are doing the right thing by manipulating the roster and positioning for a third star player next season.  I don’t think there there was a (Realistic) FA out there this offseason that  that would have moved the needle enough.. If sucks having to wait a year for potential “fireworks”, however, I believe that it’s the right play. Especially after witnessing how the Nets dismantled the C’s in the Playoffs.

I have zero issue with that.

What I have issue with is passing up on an Evan Fournier contract that was clearly a moveable contract that they could have traded next summer to free up cap space if Beal (or someone else) decided to join the team.

Signing Evan Fournier would not have stopped Boston from being able to sign Beal. They could have traded Fournier at that price tag and freed up the cash. And they should have.

« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2021, 09:28:59 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I know that I’m in the minority here, but I feel like Brad and ownership are doing the right thing by manipulating the roster and positioning for a third star player next season.  I don’t think there there was a (Realistic) FA out there this offseason that  that would have moved the needle enough.. If sucks having to wait a year for potential “fireworks”, however, I believe that it’s the right play. Especially after witnessing how the Nets dismantled the C’s in the Playoffs.

What I have issue with is passing up on an Evan Fournier contract that was clearly a moveable contract that they could have traded next summer to free up cap space if Beal (or someone else) decided to join the team.

Signing Evan Fournier would not have stopped Boston from being able to sign Beal. They could have traded Fournier at that price tag and freed up the cash. And they should have.

But would it have made it more difficult vs signing trading for Richardson, a comparable player who has an expiring contract and is nearly half the cost.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 09:45:33 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2021, 09:33:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

But would it have made it more difficult vs signing Richardson, a comparable player who has an expiring contract and is nearly half the cost.
We didn't sign Richardson though, we traded our exception for him. We could have had both Fournier and Richardson, and it would have been super easy to move Fournier either to Washington as part of a S&T, or to dump him to sign Beal outright.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2021, 10:19:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

But would it have made it more difficult vs signing Richardson, a comparable player who has an expiring contract and is nearly half the cost.
We didn't sign Richardson though, we traded our exception for him. We could have had both Fournier and Richardson, and it would have been super easy to move Fournier either to Washington as part of a S&T, or to dump him to sign Beal outright.

Right, trade. Guess they just didn’t want to sign him at that price point or maybe Fournier preferred being in NY. Either way, why didn’t the C’s sign and trade Fournier to the Knicks to create a new TPE? Was that not an option or was there just no reason for it at this point.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2021, 10:27:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Agreed. Fourier and Richardson could've played together. More talent is better.

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2021, 10:29:01 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Right, trade. Guess they just didn’t want to sign him at that price point or maybe Fournier preferred being in NY. Either way, why didn’t the C’s sign and trade Fournier to the Knicks to create a new TPE? Was that not an option or was there just no reason for it at this point.
It takes two to tango. Fournier was FA. Knicks had cap space. Boston needs to give NYK something of value (like a pick) to do the Cs a solid to do a S&T. Cs right now are spending anything (money not trading picks).