Author Topic: Not our time?  (Read 10377 times)

Not our time?
« on: February 22, 2021, 12:42:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Are there any realistic trades that could make the Celtics competitive with Brooklyn or either of the LA teams this year? I’m not seeing it.

Brooklyn has now beaten the Clippers twice and the Lakers once in February. I understand AD did not play in the game, but neither did KD. I feel like the Clippers are the best team in the West and they couldn’t beat Brooklyn yesterday in a game where KD did not play. The buyout candidates are most likely going to join one of the LA teams or the Nets. Brooklyn has arguably a more talented starting lineup with Kyrie, Harden, Harris, Durant and Jordan than  the Warriors did a few years back. They seem to play better D against the other elite teams and if they can add one or two more bench pieces from the buyout market, their thin bench won’t be an issue anymore. Unless Brooklyn gets hit with injuries, I don’t see how you can stop a team featuring Durant, Harden and Irving. I was hoping that chemistry would be an issue for them, but it seems as though Nash and D’antoni are managing the roster well.

With that being said, I don’t think there is much the C’s can do at this point to be competitive with those teams. Lebron will not be Lebron in a few years and Durant is turning 33 this year. As fans we want the C’s to compete for a championship now, but I’m not sure that it’s possible.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Not our time?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 12:46:56 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that last year‘s team, if healthy, would be competitive with any team in the league right now.

In other words, we are down a healthy Kemba Walker and somebody to fill Hayward’s role and production.  That’s not an easy task.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 12:47:41 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
No!

We're screwed.

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 12:55:09 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Brooklyn D looked miles better last night than previous month. Jordan looks like an experienced Timelord out there. Maybe he just had a few good games but he seems really to be making an impact on D with his deflections, space eating and blocks. The key to their success is always going to be Kyrie as he is completely unpredictable in the near term what he  might do. But yea overall Brooklyn look unbeatable with engaged Kyrie and Deandre not being lost on the defensive end. Bad news for us but maybe we can focus on executing our long term strategy. Let us get positioned to really peak in a year or two. If we can trade guys not in our long term strategy that will be great.
Trade Theis and Walker for some picks in the mid 2020s and develop youth and see what we have. Try to extend Smart at a reasonable amount if not trade him too.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Definitely not our year. I’d be slightly surprised if we made it to the 2nd round and absolutely shocked if we made it to the ECF. We’re definitely a lock for the playoffs though!

- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 01:07:49 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Nope.

The LA teams, BKN, MIL and even PHI I think are better than us, and probably by a big margin. Those teams don't just have talent, they've got quality depth too (except maybe BKN but I assume they'll address it with buyout signings/small trades).

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 01:15:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think that last year‘s team, if healthy, would be competitive with any team in the league right now.

In other words, we are down a healthy Kemba Walker and somebody to fill Hayward’s role and production.  That’s not an easy task.

That sounds about right to me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 02:14:25 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

I still don’t think they would have been good enough to get by Brooklyn right now. I feel like Hayward never really jelled with Brown and Tatum. Plus, he seemed to fold under pressure. Sort of feel the same way about Kemba.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I still don’t think they would have been good enough to get by Brooklyn right now. I feel like Hayward never really jelled with Brown and Tatum. Plus, he seemed to fold under pressure. Sort of feel the same way about Kemba.

You mean like how Kemba folded under pressure in the NCAA tournament along the way to winning the NCAA title and getting the Final Four MVP award?

Kemba has his flaws for sure but "folding under pressure" has never been one of them.

That's not the same thing as "continues to score easily despite facing a box-and-one."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 02:29:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I was worried about Brooklyn BEFORE the Harden trade. Now I think they are destined to win it all. Lakers without Davis are just another team. We seem to match up well vs Clips.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 03:30:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

You mean like how Kemba folded under pressure in the NCAA tournament along the way to winning the NCAA title and getting the Final Four MVP award?

Kemba has his flaws for sure but "folding under pressure" has never been one of them.

That's not the same thing as "continues to score easily despite facing a box-and-one."

I don’t really see how his play in the NCAA tournament is relevant at this point. From what I’ve seen this year, he typically doesn’t play well in games against quality opponents and for the most part has not performed in the critical moments of  games.

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 03:55:26 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
No!

We're screwed.

Maybe for this year and next, but the future is bright. I’m excited to see what Pritchard, Nesmith, Brown, Tatum and Timelord can do after having this year under their belt. It’s not easy to be patient, but there are just too many teams ahead of the C’s with loaded rosters and veteran players. Gotta play the long game..

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 04:07:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don’t really see how his play in the NCAA tournament is relevant at this point. From what I’ve seen this year, he typically doesn’t play well in games against quality opponents and for the most part has not performed in the critical moments of  games.

LOL from what you've seen this year as in, while he's been coming off a knee injury?

The relevance of the NCAA reference is that Kemba has been known as a late game performer for his whole career, dating back to his time in college.

Check out this from 2016:

https://www.atthehive.com/2016/1/27/10836002/kemba-walker-has-truly-earned-the-nickname-cardiac-kemba

There's a reason he's been known as "Cardiac Kemba."

Is he still able to do that, given his knee issues?  Could be the answer is no.  But that's not because of some kind of mental fragility or lack of composure on his part.  There are plenty of flaws to point out in Kemba's game.  "Folding under pressure" has never been one of them.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 04:09:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I was worried about Brooklyn BEFORE the Harden trade. Now I think they are destined to win it all. Lakers without Davis are just another team. We seem to match up well vs Clips.

I'm very skeptical that a team ranked 24th in defensive efficiency is going to win a title.

They have the top end talent for sure.  But when has such an awful defensive team ever won?
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2021, 05:01:04 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

LOL from what you've seen this year as in, while he's been coming off a knee injury?

The relevance of the NCAA reference is that Kemba has been known as a late game performer for his whole career, dating back to his time in college.

Check out this from 2016:

https://www.atthehive.com/2016/1/27/10836002/kemba-walker-has-truly-earned-the-nickname-cardiac-kemba

There's a reason he's been known as "Cardiac Kemba."

Is he still able to do that, given his knee issues?  Could be the answer is no.  But that's not because of some kind of mental fragility or lack of composure on his part.  There are plenty of flaws to point out in Kemba's game.  "Folding under pressure" has never been one of them.

How long are people going to continue to use this, “well, he’s just coming off of a knee injury, so that’s why he’s missing so many shots and under performing”. He’s played 15 game’s  and we are going into month two of his return. We are being told that the knee is “pain free”.  At what point do the excuses stop? You think it’s significant at this point that he won an NCAA title and earned a nickname for playing well in college, Lol. Him being clutch 12 years ago does not matter. What has he done lately? Let’s try within the last few years.