Author Topic: ESPN and Blowhards  (Read 3195 times)

ESPN and Blowhards
« on: December 15, 2020, 11:42:38 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Ever since the great Disney takeover, I have seen what used to be Fox Sports channels replaced with ESPN equivalents.

The biggest difference I have noticed is how they have some kind of talk show for every major sports they broadcast featuring the most noisy, hot headed, cantankerous panelists that they can find. What in God's name is such an all heat and no light approach supposed to accomplish?
Banner 18 please 😍

Re: ESPN and Blowhards
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:50:14 AM »

Offline AshyLarry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
  • Ashy To Classy, baby.
Ever since the great Disney takeover, I have seen what used to be Fox Sports channels replaced with ESPN equivalents.

The biggest difference I have noticed is how they have some kind of talk show for every major sports they broadcast featuring the most noisy, hot headed, cantankerous panelists that they can find. What in God's name is such an all heat and no light approach supposed to accomplish?

Views/ buzz. Tv sucks now- a combo of Twitter/ podcasts is the best way (so far) to get your sports news. And celticsstrong tbh  8) . I haven’t had cable for 5 years now and every time I have an opportunity to channel flip at a friends house, it seems more and more like Idiocracy.
My pic is now, and will be Fab Melo until he posts his first official NBA dbl-dbl. This may be permanent.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 11:57:11 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I haven't actually watched ESPN for a long time. Just an awful """sports""" channel. Various youtubers have taken their place for quality sports talk. I pity the fools that get their sports knowledge from them.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I haven't actually watched ESPN for a long time. Just an awful """sports""" channel. Various youtubers have taken their place for quality sports talk. I pity the fools that get their sports knowledge from them.
I've found forums to be a great place for knowledge as well. Some YouTubers/podcasters/analysts came from forums like apbrmetrics and realgm (eg. Ben Taylor, Andre Snellings), and those places have some threads that are spectacular to read.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 01:04:11 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I only watch ESPN for actual events, never their shows. It's just a waste of time.. an annoying waste of time.

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 01:29:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Disney only owns some of the local Fox sports channels.   Fox Sports is still independent from them.

As for the similarities, that's just copying for ratings.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 02:49:03 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It's the kind of show most people tune in for. Pretty much all cable TV uses the same model of putting the most outlandish people in front of the camera to get eyeballs.

I don't know why. I stopped watching those shows years ago. Sometimes I'll watch some of The Jump and I do think there is occasionally good stuff on there. But if you're interested in substance, podcasts are the place to look.

1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 03:20:44 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
It's the kind of show most people tune in for. Pretty much all cable TV uses the same model of putting the most outlandish people in front of the camera to get eyeballs.

I don't know why. I stopped watching those shows years ago. Sometimes I'll watch some of The Jump and I do think there is occasionally good stuff on there. But if you're interested in substance, podcasts are the place to look.

you can get all you need from any of those cable shows in 2 minute clips on Youtube.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 03:26:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785