Author Topic: Red Sox lose draft pick for sign stealing; replay official suspended  (Read 7446 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Major League Baseball on Wednesday suspended Boston Red Sox video replay system operator J.T. Watkins without pay for one year and stripped the team of its second-round pick this year after completing its investigation into allegations the team illegally stole signs during the 2018 season.

Former Red Sox manager Alex Cora, who was fired in January in the wake of the Astros sign-stealing scandal, is suspended for the 2020 season but only for his role in the Houston case. Cora left Houston, where he served as bench coach, after the 2017 season and managed the Red Sox to the 2018 title.

Commissioner Rob Manfred wrote in his report that he does not believe Cora was aware of Watkins' actions and would not impose additional discipline.

As with the Astros investigation, the Red Sox players who testified to MLB were not punished by the league.

Manfred wrote in his report that Watkins "on at least some occasions during the 2018 regular season, utilized the game feeds in the replay room, in violation of MLB regulations, to revise sign sequence information that he had permissibly provided to players prior to the game," but his actions, unlike the Astros' scheme, "was far more limited in scope and impact."

That’s much less severe than Houston.  If all this was was multiple occasions of a replay official telling players when a team changed its signs, then I think even a second rounder is probably a little harsh.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Red Sox lose draft pick for sign stealing; replay official suspended
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 04:11:01 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sure its just a coincidence that the Red Sox had themselves a rogue instant replay guy & Alex Cora in the same clubhouse and Cora had no idea what was going on.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'm sure its just a coincidence that the Red Sox had themselves a rogue instant replay guy & Alex Cora in the same clubhouse and Cora had no idea what was going on.

Haha, yeah.

The Red Sox players were just smart enough to keep their mouth shut and didn’t admit to anything.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 04:17:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Well, at the very least, I am glad this doesn't come with the dark cloud that the HOU investigation brought. Maybe there was a little more and the league is trying to brush it under the rug (hence the harsher penalty) or maybe the league is just trying to make an example of the Sox to keep other teams on their best behavior. That won't stop people from calling them cheaters, but there really shouldn't be questions about the WS win - unlike HOU where the results are pretty mind-blowing, especially in the playoffs with home/away records.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 04:27:42 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Greeeeaaaat, now here comes the typical "Boston the cheating sports town" chatters and wanting to strip away the championship the Red Sox won in 2018

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 05:03:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As a Sox fan, I'm greatly relieved. Findings also made clear that no wrongful use occurred during playoffs.

No tainted WS 2018 championship.

Let's move on.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 06:01:09 PM by footey »

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 01:46:09 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Stephen A. Smith with one of the dumbest, idiotic hot takes you'll ever see.

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/stephen-a-mlb-would-suspend-players-sign-stealing-if-more-were-black.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So sick of takes like this.  Perpetual victimhood without evidence.

If Smith was right, wouldn’t we expect to see PED use treated much more harshly in the NBA and NFL than in MLB?  And yet, only one of those leagues takes testing seriously.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

I think the replay guy was working for the Sox before Cora was hired as manager.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 01:28:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think the replay guy was working for the Sox before Cora was hired as manager.

And Cora, a guy who was at the center of the Astros controversy, had no idea this was going on with the Sox while he was managing?