Author Topic: Drafts after the 21st century draft?  (Read 100277 times)

Re: Drafts after the 21st century draft?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like nick‘s idea, but with a twist:

Eastern Conference teams do an All-Celtics draft, Western Conf do an All-Lakers.  Up to the Commish on whether players can overlap, or if there’s a first come, first serve mentality (i.e., are there two Shaqs or just one?)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 10:35:59 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Eastern Conference teams do an All-Celtics draft, Western Conf do an All-Lakers.  Up to the Commish on whether players can overlap, or if there’s a first come, first serve mentality (i.e., are there two Shaqs or just one?)
That's a 50% chance that I end up running the Fakers. Thanks but no thanks. :P

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 10:38:15 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Just Lakers players, not their franchise, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Tomayto, tomahto. :P

I bet whoever drafts Bird or Russell will win the game. I mean, we are on a Celtics forum. Good luck trying to make a case for Lakers players on a Celtics forum.

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 11:30:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Tomayto, tomahto. :P

I bet whoever drafts Bird or Russell will win the game. I mean, we are on a Celtics forum. Good luck trying to make a case for Lakers players on a Celtics forum.
Not really, people here love Magic Johnson to an incredible degree. The guy who I feel for is Kareem lol, he seems to be underrated here.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
What about an All-Time Celtic draft. You can only pick players that played at anytime in their career for the Boston Celtics?
Really concerned about the talent pool for this sort of draft - having more than 5-7 players would mean that the guys with the top picks would be almost guaranteed to win. I am interested in this format though.
I guess it depends how you dictate it, but if you’re able to pick guys peaks (regardless of whether it was on the C’s or not) it could be great fun. Then guys like Shaq, Nique, Tiny and so on become really viable picks. It could be heaps of fun, maybe with an altered serpent format so that the top picks don’t just crush it?
This is what I was thinking because you end up with guys like Shaq, Tiny, Jermaine O'Neal, Paul Silas, KG, Ray Allen, Bill Walton, Bailey Howell, Kenny Anderson, Stephon Marbury, Dominique Wilkens, Xavier McDaniels, Gary Payton, Jim Paxson, Artis Gilmore and more that were all-time great to superstars to All-Stars elsewhere that would be available.

The tough part of this is there will be a talent drop off, but in any real NBA team, you have real talent drop off and how you use that lesser talent would make the game more interesting because by the time the 5th to 6th round rolls around you are taking real role players to play real role player roles.
Ah that would be fairer. I think the drop off is fine as long as the guys at the end of the first round get to stack up on an extra superstar.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 12:07:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Celtics one could be fun.  Lots of greats have donned green at some point in their careers.  As long as you could pick any season from the player you could have a pretty good talent pool to work with. 

I think I proposed once, right before these took a hiatus for awhile, of doing a full league historical draft but you couldn't select anyone that was a top 5 pick in the actual draft (you could go to top 10, but that makes it a lot harder to track).  You'd probably have to count the early territorial picks in addition to the top 5.  That would eliminate a large chunk of the all time greats making the draft far more interesting especially where team building is concerned.  I mean no Russell, Wilt, Baylor, Oscar, West, Kareem, Shaq, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Hakeem, Duncan, Garnett, Lebron, Robinson, Ewing, Barkley, etc., but still a very good group of HOFers at least 3 rounds deep for everyone to choose from.
Bird would have been available cause he got selected at #6.

What a steal by Bird Red! :)
Yeah I always forget he went a year early and thus was 6. Clearly you want the first pick in that scenario to get Bird, though I think you can still get some great value in that first round and it is a long time until you get the return pick after getting Bird so it may not be a surefire win.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 03:10:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
What about an All-Time Celtic draft. You can only pick players that played at anytime in their career for the Boston Celtics?
but can you only use those years they were with the celtics? or any year of their career?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
but can you only use those years they were with the celtics? or any year of their career?
any year in career so you can take Shaq from 99-00 as an example.

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 09:06:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don’t really have concerns about having a wide field in terms of years (60’s - now), as I kind of like the idea of having to do some research a bit deeper. Maybe that’s just because I have lots of spare time...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 09:20:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don’t really have concerns about having a wide field in terms of years (60’s - now), as I kind of like the idea of having to do some research a bit deeper. Maybe that’s just because I have lots of spare time...
Part of the original idea for the Historical Draft was that, most aren't super familiar with basketball before becoming basketball fans. The Historical Draft game could force people to watch video of players that played before their time. Watch old games. Read old stories. Research stats. Try to find out about what these players that came before their time was like and how they compared to today's players.

So when I set it up, I did it to have a less competitive feel than the other drafts on the site but also, hopefully, as a possible learning conduit to NBA history and it's former stars and greats of the game.

My goal was for everyone to have fun but at the end of the game to think "Wow! I know a lot more know about NBA stars and basketball after all this!"

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2020, 09:20:26 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'd play an All-Time Celtics draft. No Lebron or Kobe to have to pick, so that makes it much better lol.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2020, 10:19:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I will say that if you want to get some excellent incite on basketball of the 70's to 90's try to find old Boston Globe Bob Ryan articles. Grew up reading the Globe Sports section, which was the best newspaper sports section in the country, and Bob Ryan was the guy covering the Celtics. He was amazing. Once he started doing sports radio and television he became a bit ridiculous, but his Celtic reporting as just a beat guy was amazing stuff.

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2020, 10:32:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
We did one of those not that long ago.  We usually like to do the wide open fields with quite a few years in between and then do more focused drafts for a few years.  You really have to drill down benches if you limit the field more.  Now if you put restrictions on the wide open field, I think that could work.  Like no more than 2-3 players per decade, that would likely work pretty well as invariably you would have to pick players from the older generations and wouldn't have an overload on more modern players.  The 80's & 90's would also work pretty well as there are a lot of interesting ways you could build teams with a lot of quality players to choose from (or a 50's, 60's, and 70's).  No one seems to like my no top 5 pick idea.  I really think that would be a much greater exercise of team building given the significant reduction of super duper stars that would be in it (every team would still have 1 or maybe 2 such players, but they wouldn't last for like 4 or 5 rounds like they do in a more open field). 

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2020, 10:44:36 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
We did one of those not that long ago.  We usually like to do the wide open fields with quite a few years in between and then do more focused drafts for a few years.  You really have to drill down benches if you limit the field more.  Now if you put restrictions on the wide open field, I think that could work.  Like no more than 2-3 players per decade, that would likely work pretty well as invariably you would have to pick players from the older generations and wouldn't have an overload on more modern players.  The 80's & 90's would also work pretty well as there are a lot of interesting ways you could build teams with a lot of quality players to choose from (or a 50's, 60's, and 70's).  No one seems to like my no top 5 pick idea.  I really think that would be a much greater exercise of team building given the significant reduction of super duper stars that would be in it (every team would still have 1 or maybe 2 such players, but they wouldn't last for like 4 or 5 rounds like they do in a more open field).
The no top 5 picks draft actually sounds like a cool idea. I just checked my own personal top 20 list, and that draft would only leave around 5-ish of the players. Definitely help narrow the field.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum