Author Topic: Coronavirus Concerns  (Read 409319 times)

Re: Coronavirus Concerns
« Reply #5670 on: May 06, 2021, 04:34:05 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Evan Fournier
  • Tommy Points: 32
One thing I'm struggling to find answers on...

The Covid vaccines help prevent you from getting symptoms if you catch Covid...but do they actually stop you from being able to carry it / pass it on to another person?

I've tried researching this but having difficulty finding a definitive answer.   

That's because there is no definitive answer thus far, I believe. Here's what the gvt is saying here:

From March:
The evidence on whether COVID-19 vaccination reduces the chance of you passing on the virus is less clear. Most vaccines reduce the overall risk of infection, but some vaccinated people may get mild or asymptomatic infection and therefore be able to pass the virus on.

It is highly likely that any infection in a vaccinated person will be less severe and that viral shedding will be shortened. We therefore expect that vaccinated health and care staff will be less likely to pass infection to their friends and family and to the vulnerable people that they care for.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-guide-for-healthcare-workers/covid-19-vaccination-guide-for-healthcare-workers#:~:text=The%20evidence%20on%20whether%20COVID,that%20they%20care%20for.

From April:
The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and 2 doses will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know how much it will reduce the chance of you catching and passing on the virus.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccination-guide-for-older-adults/covid-19-vaccination-guide-for-older-adults
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5671 on: May 08, 2021, 07:53:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2614

« Reply #5672 on: July 21, 2021, 05:37:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
 :-X
COVID creeping up again here ,  especially in the NC … :-[

« Reply #5673 on: July 21, 2021, 06:06:29 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 181

Same in MA. Yesterday was a two month high with 366 new cases. Today it spiked to 457. Here we go again...

« Reply #5674 on: July 22, 2021, 03:26:41 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 745

Same in MA. Yesterday was a two month high with 366 new cases. Today it spiked to 457. Here we go again...

What's going to be interesting, with vaccination levels a lot higher than they were this time last year, is whether the hospitalizations increase at the same rate as well. Because vaccination doesn't prevent infection, but it (is supposed to) prevent serious illness requiring hospitalization.

It will also be interesting to see if the infection rate varies significantly across regions/counties in MA depending on vaccination levels.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5675 on: July 22, 2021, 08:14:31 AM »

Offline gift

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 245

What's going to be interesting, with vaccination levels a lot higher than they were this time last year, is whether the hospitalizations increase at the same rate as well. Because vaccination doesn't prevent infection, but it (is supposed to) prevent serious illness requiring hospitalization.

It will also be interesting to see if the infection rate varies significantly across regions/counties in MA depending on vaccination levels.

And rates where different vaccines were predominant.

« Reply #5676 on: July 22, 2021, 09:22:04 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Evan Fournier
  • Tommy Points: 32

What I've heard from the news over here is that most of the deaths in the States are from people who have not been vaccinated. Which is sad, but not surprising.

Given that I'm sitting smack dab in the world's largest controlled petri dish for Covid at the moment, I can tell you that the hospitalisation rates (and the Delta variant is something like 99% of cases here right now) are much lower. Currently we are sitting at ~44k cases and have approximately 10% that number currently in the hospital.

The real danger, and this applies to both countries, is that having many many many more cases, dropping restrictions, and a good-but-not-great vaccination status (we're at about 55% with 2 shots here) is the perfect situation for more variants, particularly ones that are vaccine resistant, to arise. I know New England's vaccination rates, in particular, have been quite good, but of course that doesn't account for tourism.

Life is more or less Groundhog Day, only instead of Bill Murray and his quest for love it's just an endless loop of Chief Brody and The Mayor talking about closing the beaches before the 4th of July weekend.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5677 on: July 22, 2021, 10:00:53 AM »

Offline gift

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 245

The real danger, and this applies to both countries, is that having many many many more cases, dropping restrictions, and a good-but-not-great vaccination status (we're at about 55% with 2 shots here) is the perfect situation for more variants, particularly ones that are vaccine resistant, to arise. I know New England's vaccination rates, in particular, have been quite good, but of course that doesn't account for tourism.

There is a school of thought that rolling out the vaccinations as we have allows for the path toward a super-virus. Some think it's almost inevitable. I think it's merely possible.

« Reply #5678 on: July 28, 2021, 06:40:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

« Reply #5679 on: July 28, 2021, 06:58:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1959
Oh my

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/coronavirus/fla-forecast-to-report-more-than-83-000-new-cases-of-covid-per-day-by-aug-9

I guess that's the high end of the range they are predicting for Florida in 2 weeks - mid-range estimate is about 50,000/day.  What does this mean for the country in just 2 weeks?  Back up over 200,000 per day?   I noticed there have been about 400 deaths per day over the last couple days nationally.  Will we be breaking 1000 a day again in a 4 or 5 weeks?

It is so disheartening and frustrating that we have the means to break this virus (and I'm not just talking about vaccination but masking/distancing if you don't want to vax) and we refuse to make it happen.  In all honesty at a certain point every single person who is either suffering serious or long-term impact or death from Covid is a person to whom this just did not need to happen. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 07:05:29 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #5680 on: July 29, 2021, 06:51:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -26881
  • Once A CrotoNat, Always A CrotoNat
The effectiveness of Pfizer’s COVID-19 shot can drop to 83.7% within four to six months after getting the second dose of its vaccine. This is the latest indication that vaccine-induced immunity to the virus can wane and some kind of boost may be necessary in the future.

New research published Wednesday as a preprint indicates that the Pfizer Inc. PFE, -0.63% shot provides 96.2% protection for the first two months, 90.1% effectiveness between the second and fourth months, and between 83.7% of protection for the fourth, fifth, and six months.

“We will need a booster eight to 12 months from the second dose,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said Wednesday, according to a FactSet transcript of the company’s second-quarter earnings call.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5681 on: July 29, 2021, 07:02:42 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
I feel grateful that I'm healthy, though I know (and many others know) people that have died of Covid.

The CDC said that the strategy was to flatten the curve (decrease intensity and prolong time). This should be common knowledge.

I'm not sure why some would downplay the significance of Covid, while simultaneously rejecting vaccination in the name of "freedom".

Does this make sense to anyone?

« Reply #5682 on: July 29, 2021, 07:06:13 PM »

Online gouki88

• Global Moderator
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 1164
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The effectiveness of Pfizer’s COVID-19 shot can drop to 83.7% within four to six months after getting the second dose of its vaccine. This is the latest indication that vaccine-induced immunity to the virus can wane and some kind of boost may be necessary in the future.

New research published Wednesday as a preprint indicates that the Pfizer Inc. PFE, -0.63% shot provides 96.2% protection for the first two months, 90.1% effectiveness between the second and fourth months, and between 83.7% of protection for the fourth, fifth, and six months.

“We will need a booster eight to 12 months from the second dose,” Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said Wednesday, according to a FactSet transcript of the company’s second-quarter earnings call.

So like the flu shot? In that you need a booster every year to protect yourself from new strains? Seems reasonable enough once global supply is sorted - if they’d just let other people make it!

« Reply #5683 on: July 29, 2021, 07:07:57 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

There is a school of thought that rolling out the vaccinations as we have allows for the path toward a super-virus. Some think it's almost inevitable. I think it's merely possible.

Who is this school? And what is it about the way we’ve introduced the vaccines that leads to a super virus? And why do you think that it is possible?
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #5684 on: July 30, 2021, 11:47:19 AM »

Offline ManchesterCelticsFan

• Evan Fournier
  • Tommy Points: 31

So like the flu shot? In that you need a booster every year to protect yourself from new strains? Seems reasonable enough once global supply is sorted - if they’d just let other people make it!

All the qualified, trained manufacturers in the world are making the vaccine. Let unqualified,  untrained manufacturers make the vaccine, they'd likely cut corners, it wouldn't be done right then you'd lose public confidence,  giving the antivaxer movement a great boost.