Author Topic: Is it just me, or is the quality of conversation around here at an all-time low?  (Read 37229 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Honestly I don't see a whole lot of difference.  There are ebbs and flows of course, but there have been times on the forums that have been far worse then now.  For example, it was really bad right before the Allen/KG trades, much worse than now.   

I agree.  So, I've been on board for more than 12 years, don't post much and lost all my tommy points on a bet that I can't remember.  With the team not playing up to expectations, and the uncertainty of Kyrie and Davis, it's easy to see why we are on the down side of this cycle. I expect, as when KG and Allen joined the team, we will all feel better about what is being posted and move back to the up side of the cycle.  I don't like the political stuff on this site and don't read much of it.  I do like talking about the Red Sox and pop culture.
If you gentlemen are discussing general tone of negativity vs positivity, I agree, we have seen the ebbs and flows before.

But, I believe besides that, Roy and others are talking about general dismissive tone, the sheer amount of immature, disrespectful sniping rather than good intelligent debating, and general lack of BBIQ and knowledge, leading to others needing to correct and yet those posters, instead of learning, jumping to a different thread just to say the same wrong things.

Those are very different things. The blog has been generally as negative or worse many times. But I think Roy is right that general quality has declined as well.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Oh please.

People around here have always believed what they wanted to believe. The "quality of a post" has never changed anyone's opinion around here. It has always been less of a discussion, and more of an exchange of personal opinions.

Why engage in "valuable discussion" if youre not going to change anyone's mind, anyway? Why write a well researched and formulated 2,000 word essay if the first reply is some meme gif getting 20 TPs?

This, of course, is part of a broader issue where we all stopped accepting facts as facts and simply started to pick and choose the arguments that support our already held beliefs, a behaviour you can see in basically every political thread in the Current Events sub-forum.

Tommy Points have always been group think points and not a reward for effort, and in the same vein, what you consider the "quality of posts" has always been an exercise in using many words to tell you what you want to hear. This forum, like pretty much every forum on the planet, has always been full of low effort posts.

If you think this used to be different, it only means that people have stopped telling you what you want to hear. I think people are using this forum as their personal Celtics safe space, and now that there's overwhelming, inescapable evidence that the Celtics are not who you thought they were, these low effort posts telling you that you're wrong simply stick out more to you.

Not sure there are a lot more people who just doesn’t seem to get the new CBA rules, constantly post multiple threads relating to a player. I mean this is Celticsblog a website dedicated to the Celtics you shouldn’t be surprised when there’s a bias for the team.

RazzelnoDazzel

So basically you’re tired of triboy just say it dang. Lol

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
This thread is, honestly, of the best in recent memory, as there are many good points stated.

Maybe it won't solve all of our problems here, but it could affect our post quality awareness. And that's always a good start.

Thanks @wiley!

Androslav,
OP of the "I feel like the storm is over thread"  ;D
https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=98779.0
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I know over the years, I have less and less time to post.   I am sure this is the case with a lot of the other long term posters.   

Also, there has been a drop in those other events that brought posters back.  From Friday's trivia or the three stars after each game, there is less creativity in starting new things.  (In  both these examples, the poster who started these eventually became staff members.)

Finally, the increasing amount of political talk as the two sides get more divisive (not an invitation to discuss anyone politics here) drove away those looking for a break from that.

These are good points.

Personally, my enjoyment of the forums went up significantly after I was banned from the CE forum and couldn't participate in the "discussion" there or see the threads when I'm logged in.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I completely agree. Can everyone please stop being so stupid.  :)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

So, I've been on board for more than 12 years, don't post much and lost all my tommy points on a bet that I can't remember.

Tommy Point because Paul Silas was one of my favorite players.

Offline Triplenickle

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
The reason I say let Kyrie walk is because we're over the cap, need Horford, can't get rid of Hayward, Kyrie just doesn't work, and soon we're gonna need to pay JB...and later Tatum.

What's the sense of getting assets when we can't pay for what we have or keep who we get for Kyrie?

And for people who think Kyrie and Hayward are good for this team...I really just can't help yall with that logic.

Letting Kyrie walk is not gonna kill us...we'll be the same team coming off last year's ECF, with Hayward a year of rehab on the court, with decents picks and the wiggle room to not make quick decisions that hurt us.

I have no idea why the rush to get rid of Tatum and JB.

I have seen years go by...no decades...that we could never get players as good as them.

So there is the root of my logic...along with alot of other things.

And with Danny's track record of terrible picks and shooter after shooter that can't cut it in this league...I would think people would look at them and see the assets they are.

Smart too...and Rozier...don't care if yall are mad because he was mad and rightfully so.

And his abysmal track record on bigs. Uggh

Wyc should fire him just for that, or atleast get a real player personell guy.

Don't forget Danny is just a former player...that was never his forte
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:17:18 PM by Triplenickle »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Just my observations but as of LATE there seems to be an ENTRENCHED thought process in regards to Kyrie Irving....

There is the camp that wants him back and wants us to go after AD or maybe KD...

There is the camp that has hated Kyrie from Day One....this camp started making their thoughts known as far back as LAST season.....making comments on EVERY SINGLE little thing Kyrie did...every thing he said...making something out of nothing....

To a LESSER extent there is ALSO a thought process - an ENTRENCHED mindset regarding Gordon Hayward as well....I don't think I've EVER seen such a negative outlook on a player since I've been on the blog (lurker since 06...member since 09)...

I think in some ways we have become just like SOCIETY...diehard Republicans on one side and Diehard Democrats on the other.

We need to get back to Biden / Kasich idealogy.

But anyways we've become a bit polarized....very little bend on either side. But the BBIQ of the blog is still there...VERY intelligent group here and has been for a long time.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Just my observations but as of LATE there seems to be an ENTRENCHED thought process in regards to Kyrie Irving....

There is the camp that wants him back and wants us to go after AD or maybe KD...

There is the camp that has hated Kyrie from Day One....this camp started making their thoughts known as far back as LAST season.....making comments on EVERY SINGLE little thing Kyrie did...every thing he said...making something out of nothing....

There have been those subsets.  I think there's also a subset that hailed Kyrie as a conquering hero, only to turn on him and make his a scapegoat when expectations weren't met.

And then there's that very small subset -- perhaps of just one poster -- that hated the Kyrie trade because it seemed like too much to give it (in hindsight, due to IT's injury, it wasn't), but has always rooted for Kyrie (and still does).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

There have been those subsets.  I think there's also a subset that hailed Kyrie as a conquering hero, only to turn on him and make his a scapegoat when expectations weren't met.

And then there's that very small subset -- perhaps of just one poster -- that hated the Kyrie trade because it seemed like too much to give it (in hindsight, due to IT's injury, it wasn't), but has always rooted for Kyrie (and still does).
Yes, I wonder who that guy is.  ;)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Unfortunately, it's like "sports politics", in that there's one group who strongly believes in one thing and another group that's strongly against it, and of course that leads to clashes. An example is Kyrie Irving's future (re-sign here or let him go), who to truly blame for our frustrating season (many different groups for that), etc. Just like how the team itself (players and coaches) had a frustrating season when it came to discussing roles, schemes and other things, so does many factions within this blog lol and it leads to even more frustrations.

And then there's a few folks on here who frankly go around acting like they know-it-all with their posts and then go on to condescend others who have any sort of disagreement with them on something they say. It's sad really.

I think once we get closer to the Draft and FA period, things will become more clearer and conversations will become better again (and more level-headed). Right now, no one has any clue what's going on and what's going to happen with the C's this summer. It's all a chess match right now. And a bit of waiting as the playoffs are still happening.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 05:46:48 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

To a LESSER extent there is ALSO a thought process - an ENTRENCHED mindset regarding Gordon Hayward as well....I don't think I've EVER seen such a negative outlook on a player since I've been on the blog (lurker since 06...member since 09)...

I think in some ways we have become just like SOCIETY...diehard Republicans on one side and Diehard Democrats on the other.

But anyways we've become a bit polarized....very little bend on either side. But the BBIQ of the blog is still there...VERY intelligent group here and has been for a long time.

Ky-publicans vs Jay-ocrats.

And debating Marvus smart is a lot like debating gun control. You can make all the arguments you want about the shooting, but for some people it's more about the emotion behind having Marcus Smart.

Gordon Hayward is like paternity leave. Everyone thinks he should get time to recover, but nobody wants to have to pay for it.

Al Horford is like social security. Everyone complains, says it's too expensive or broken, but as soon as it threatens to vanish everyone panics about how to replace it. Cuz we need it.

Kyrie is like global warming. Bad for the environment but nobody wants to make the sacrifices nessevary to live in a world without him (ie more losing).

Okay I'm done.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 06:00:54 PM by keevsnick »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

And debating Marvus smart is a lot like debating gun control. You can make all the arguments you want about the shooting, but for some people it's more about the emotion behind having Marcus Smart.

Gordon Hayward is like paternity leave. Everyone thinks he should get time to recover, but nobody wants to have to pay for it.

Al Horford is like social security. Everyone complains, says it's too expensive or broken, but as soon as it threatens to vanish everyone panics about how to replace it. Cuz we need it.

Kyrie is like global warming. Bad for the environment but nobody wants to make the sacrifices nessevary to live in a world without him (ie more losing).

Okay I'm done.

This is awesome.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Okay I'm done.

Sir, take this TP.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller