Author Topic: A request regarding tone (and our rules)  (Read 33703 times)

A request regarding tone (and our rules)
« on: December 22, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lately, there have been way to many posts along the following lines:

This is a dumb thread . . .

I wish I could give this thread negative Tommy Points . . .

Do you even watch the games?  I'm surprised a real fan would say that . . .

Worst trade idea ever . . .

This thread is a massive FAIL . . .

The above are examples, because I didn't want to signal anybody out individually.  However, statements like those above violate our rules, because they're inherently disrespectful and devolve debate.

I'm sure every single one of us has come across a thread before and thought "What the heck is this idiot talking about?"  It's fine to think that, but when choosing whether or not to post in the thread, please use discretion.  Basically, follow the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" rule.

It's very possible to debate without belittling or mocking others.  There are going to be times when we all vigorously disagree with others.  That's completely fine, just please remember that when debating, things have to remain civil.

Basically, we don't want to have people leaving here with their feelings hurt.  Let's all remember that we're on the same side here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: A request regarding tone (and our rules)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 01:27:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It's that time again.  A lot of newer posters have come to the blog now that the lockout is over.  For those newer posters who might not be familiar with our rules, or for those veterans of the blog who might be ignoring them, please read our rules.

Some of the highlights:

Respect each other at all times. Personal attacks are not permitted under any circumstances.

Coarse / insulting / gloating / condescending language is not allowed under any circumstances.

No swearing! There is absolutely no need for swearing in any post. If you can't find another way to express your opinion, buy a thesaurus. Any forum post, blog comment or personal message with profanity, masked profanity, abbreviations referring to profanity, or allusions to profanity (i.e., **** or @#$#, etc.), whether or not caught by the blog filter, will be deleted.

Do not label fellow posters in a way that is likely to provoke a negative response.  Dependent upon context, examples include, but are not limited to, "fake fan", "bandwagon fan", "not a real fan", "hater", "homer", "koolaid drinker", etc.

Basically, just treat people decently, and don't swear or use crude language.  It's not that hard, but there have been a few instances of things devolving, and that's not cool.

As always, if there are any questions, let us know.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 10:36:41 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
There's definitely been some less than courteous banter lately. 

It's been a frustrating pre-season to be sure, but there's really no need to jump down each others throats here. Make your point, but keep from personal jabs.  It is doable. 
Yup

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 11:39:23 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Respect one another.  Pretty straightforward.

Everyone gets heated sometimes, but don't take it out on each other please.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 04:09:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Haha!  Interesting that the spammers chose this thread to post to.

I actually think this thread could stand to be read by a few (not singling anyone out).  I've noticed the snark has been getting a little much recently, and I'll admit, I've probably been dragged into it a little too.

Thanks, spammers  :P

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Haha!  Interesting that the spammers chose this thread to post to.

I actually think this thread could stand to be read by a few (not singling anyone out).  I've noticed the snark has been getting a little much recently, and I'll admit, I've probably been dragged into it a little too.

Thanks, spammers  :P

Too many seem to just pick a fight. Poster bashes Doc, Danny, ... and too many seem to want to defend them like kin folk.

Trade anyone you want, bash anyone you want, and complain about anyone you want as long as it's Celtic personnel.

But too many just want to pick a fight if someone does this. Gets old in the game forums. Especially when it's a mod.  :-X
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 04:04:15 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I think it's great you are enforcing these rules! Things can get heated quick if someone doesn't agree with your post. Let's face it we are all passionate fans of the C's lets respect each others opinion!

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 04:22:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Ha.  Two and a half years later, and this post is finally getting some attention. ;)

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Ha.  Two and a half years later, and this post is finally getting some attention. ;)

LOL. :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 10:20:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Anything regarding sarcasm, by any chance?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »

Kiorrik

Anything regarding sarcasm, by any chance?
Online sarcasm can be very annoying.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 08:14:06 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
Mods??? How about Devil's Advocate? I've seen a lot of it lately.

From the great Bob Day, "Don't be a jerk, and don't ruin CelticsBlog for others."

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:30:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The best place to start is the rules. "Respect each other at all times" covers most things.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 12:45:08 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
What a clutch reminder the above spambot is giving us about respect and cordial discourse. Way too many rival "camps" forming on here that hold grudges against one another.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Always a good reminder.   :) 

If nothing else, I think we are all basketball fans and mostly Celtics fans.