Author Topic: In Praise of Kyrie Irving  (Read 11386 times)

In Praise of Kyrie Irving
« on: November 09, 2018, 10:13:00 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Over the last 5 games, he is averaging 29.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.6 spg, 1 bpg, with only 2.4 topg. He is doing this on 56/53/95 shooting splits.

He's made great defensive plays and timely shots. He is a special player.

Re: In Praise of Kyrie Irving
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
He saved the Celtics butts last night.  That's for sure.

When he's on, he is as fun as their is to watch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 10:47:48 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Sad but true.
We need Kyrie at his best to win.

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 11:00:37 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Over the last 5 games, he is averaging 29.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 5.2 apg, 1.6 spg, 1 bpg, with only 2.4 topg. He is doing this on 56/53/95 shooting splits.

The Celtics should trade him and Brad Stevens while their value is high.  Maybe to Phoenix for Ayton.  :)

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 11:31:19 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

We focus on the made shots, and not without good reason, but he had a great block on Booker down the stretch (I think in OT) too that finally got the Suns to start looking elsewhere for offense.

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:43:21 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

We focus on the made shots, and not without good reason, but he had a great block on Booker down the stretch (I think in OT) too that finally got the Suns to start looking elsewhere for offense.

I think that as great as he was scoring it was on the defensive end, with that block on Booker and a couple of steals in the 4th and overtime that impressed me the most. Because it's not something he's really recognized for, it's good to see him working hard from that end.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 11:49:58 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I think that as great as he was scoring it was on the defensive end, with that block on Booker and a couple of steals in the 4th and overtime that impressed me the most. Because it's not something he's really recognized for, it's good to see him working hard from that end.

Yeah that key strip on Booker too!  I've gotta rewatch the last few minutes of regulation and OT. He really clamped down. Arguably our best defender in crunch time as well as the best offensive player.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 12:07:28 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He was also -12 until the last 4 minutes of the game last night.  He can take over in short bursts, but he also gives up a lot of points on the other end.  He is just a bigger version of Thomas. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 12:10:27 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
He was also -12 until the last 4 minutes of the game last night.  He can take over in short bursts, but he also gives up a lot of points on the other end.  He is just a bigger version of Thomas.

>:(

-_-
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 12:27:21 PM »

• Paul Silas

In the same way Durant is a bigger version of Kris Middleton, or Draymond Green is a bigger version of Justice Winslow, or Anthony Davis is a bigger version of Jerami Grant, or Lebron James is a bigger version of Evan Turner.

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It's an n = 11, but let's unpack it anyway.

His points per contest are not predictive of wins; in fact, there's an inverse relationship (r = -0.22, p = .52) that begins to trend towards significance when you pare down the sample to the first ten games (r = -0.44, p = .20). This may seem like a dirty trick, but it also suggests that the team has played better when he scores less (plus the Suns stink, Booker went off, and Kyrie otherwise goes unpunished for Murray's 48)...

And that's what his stats show more broadly. In these first 11 games:

in wins: 20 pts, 16 FGA (FG%=42; 3FG%=40), 4.6 reb, 5.7 asst
in losses:  23 pts, 17 FGA (FG%=57; 3FG%=46), 5.8 reb, 4.8 asst

In wins, he shoots/scores/rebounds less, actually shoots significantly worse too(!), but averages 1 more assist; in losses, he shoots/scores/rebounds more, but passes less. 

Worse, he shows a generally similar trend across the 17-18 season:

in wins (31 mpg): 23.9 pts, 17.4 FGA (FG%=50; 3FG%=41), 4 reb, 5.3 ast
in losses (34 mpg): 25.5 pts, 19.6 FGA (FG%=47; 3FG%=40), 3.2 reb, 4.7 ast

I think most of us know that he's a talented but high-usage scorer, does little more to positively impact the game, and is a negative on defense. These numbers paint an ugly picture though, and I wonder how his peers compare (e.g. Lillard, Curry). I hope similarly, or that he figures this out by May/June.

Although if you believe he's committed to helping the Celtics win, there's some reason to be hopeful -- we fare better when he shoots less and distributes more. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 12:42:10 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

In the same way Durant is a bigger version of Kris Middleton, or Draymond Green is a bigger version of Justice Winslow, or Anthony Davis is a bigger version of Jerami Grant, or Lebron James is a bigger version of Evan Turner.

lol outstanding.

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 12:46:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

If IT was 6'3", he would have been a Harden-esque player.  There's no shame in being compared to IT.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »

• Paul Silas
It's an n = 11, but let's unpack it anyway.

His points per contest are not predictive of wins; in fact, there's an inverse relationship (r = -0.22, p = .52) that begins to trend towards significance when you pare down the sample to the first ten games (r = -0.44, p = .20). This may seem like a dirty trick, but it also suggests that the team has played better when he scores less (plus the Suns stink, Booker went off, and Kyrie otherwise goes unpunished for Murray's 48)...

And that's what his stats show more broadly. In these first 11 games:

in wins: 20 pts, 16 FGA (FG%=42; 3FG%=40), 4.6 reb, 5.7 asst
in losses:  23 pts, 17 FGA (FG%=57; 3FG%=46), 5.8 reb, 4.8 asst

In wins, he shoots/scores/rebounds less, actually shoots significantly worse too(!), but averages 1 more assist; in losses, he shoots/scores/rebounds more, but passes less. 

Worse, he shows a generally similar trend across the 17-18 season:

in wins (31 mpg): 23.9 pts, 17.4 FGA (FG%=50; 3FG%=41), 4 reb, 5.3 ast
in losses (34 mpg): 25.5 pts, 19.6 FGA (FG%=47; 3FG%=40), 3.2 reb, 4.7 ast

I think most of us know that he's a talented but high-usage scorer, does little more to positively impact the game, and is a negative on defense. These numbers paint an ugly picture though, and I wonder how his peers compare (e.g. Lillard, Curry). I hope similarly, or that he figures this out by May/June.

Although if you believe he's committed to helping the Celtics win, there's some reason to be hopeful -- we fare better when he shoots less and distributes more.

Great stats, and for that I give you a TP.

But your interpretation of those stats may be faulty.

Firstly, you provided no stats to prove he is a negative on defense. I'd argue otherwise. He may not be elite in the second quarter of a November game, but last night in the overtime, he had an important steal and block to help give the Cs a lead. He makes timely defensive plays. He needs to be more consistent, but he is not an overall negative defensively.

Second, what if the reason he scores more in games they lose is because the rest of team is struggling, and he is trying to pull them to victory? Plus, those numbers are partially skewed because of the Detroit game, where he scored 3 points, but didn't need to score any more because the team was awesome that night.

My eye test definitely agrees that the Cs and Irving are still trying to figure out how to leverage Irving's elite offensive abilities into an elite team offense. We see it occasionally, but not consistently. He needs to improve at picking his spots and advanced manipulation of the court to get everyone involved.

All of that being said, if the Cs were hitting a higher percentage of open or wide open threes, we probably would not be talking about this at all.

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 01:02:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Not at all.  Sure those guys are all bigger, but they are also significantly more skilled, better all around players, etc.  Irving and Thomas are essentially the same player.  They are poor defenders, don't rebound well, aren't great passers, but are superb scorers and ball handlers.  They turn it on in the 4th quarter and are clutch, but they slack off for much of the first 3 quarters such that maybe they wouldn't need late game heroics if they were just better for most of the game. 

Irving is a good to great player, but he isn't a #1 on a title team type player.  He isn't carrying a franchise to great playoff success.  I mean the C's were 1 game away from the Finals without Irving.  The regular season win percentage was only slightly better with Irving than with Rozier leading the way, and that includes the unsustainable 15-2 start to last year (Irving missed a game) .  You take that start out and Boston was actually worse with Irving than with Rozier (I know you can't do that, but the point remains).  The Cavs basically didn't replace Irving, had all kinds of injuries and turmoil, and basically ended up with the exact same record and still made the Finals.  The loss of Irving had basically no effect on the Cavs performance last year. 

And I have been beating this drum since before the trade was made so it isn't some new reactionary thing.  Irving's actual effect on wins and losses isn't anywhere near what the vast majority of this board thinks it is. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip