Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 948698 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #2520 on: November 14, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Thor. It was funny. Continues my streak of liking villains more than heroes. Adding Hela to my list of favorites.
saw Thor last weekend.  really enjoyed it.  had a lot more humor than other non-Deadpool Marvel movies.   

Hela looked so familiar but I couldn't quite place the face until about halfway through I thought it might be Cate Blanchett (which it was).  I thought she was absolutely fantastic as the villain.
Thor was a lot of fun, helped that they focused in on the good characters from the first two and imported the Hulk in. Made it a lot more fun.
I liked Thor, definitely more entertaining than the first 2.
I had a strong feeling that it is a GOTG wannabe but without the signature soundtrack. Director is a funny guy though.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2521 on: November 14, 2017, 11:26:36 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I watched Freeway last night, from 1996 and it was awful. It was listed on Amazon as a thriller but it's more of a dark comedy. It aspires to be a satire but has no insight or maybe just doesn't know what it wants to satirize? The movie takes cheap shots at poor people and revels in violence without attaching any significance or thought.

I can't get it out of my mind, though, because after watching the film I looked it up online and was shocked to see it was well received when it came out and has a pretty good critical reputation. I find this bizarre because this was one of the worst movies I ever watched. It wanted to much to be Citizen Ruth or Natural Born Killers but wound up being a cheap (very cheap) imitation.

never heard of the movie before, the poster is quintessentially 90s

And totally misleading! It looks like a sort of campy 90's road thriller but it's something else entirely.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #2522 on: November 14, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Thor. It was funny. Continues my streak of liking villains more than heroes. Adding Hela to my list of favorites.
saw Thor last weekend.  really enjoyed it.  had a lot more humor than other non-Deadpool Marvel movies.   

Hela looked so familiar but I couldn't quite place the face until about halfway through I thought it might be Cate Blanchett (which it was).  I thought she was absolutely fantastic as the villain.
Thor was a lot of fun, helped that they focused in on the good characters from the first two and imported the Hulk in. Made it a lot more fun.
I liked Thor, definitely more entertaining than the first 2.
I had a strong feeling that it is a GOTG wannabe but without the signature soundtrack. Director is a funny guy though.

for any comic guys on this forum, i felt that Thor Ragnorok had a lot of Planet Hulk aspects to it. I probably missed it but i wonder how'd they going to explain how the Hulk ended up in Sakkar. I know how in Planet Hulk.

« Reply #2523 on: November 14, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The new Blade Runner. Thought it was incredible

« Reply #2524 on: November 26, 2017, 09:33:17 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Watched "I served the King of England" (2008) yesterday. Entertaining movie and gives you lots to think about Czech/Czechoslovak history.

Btw, it's the same director that filmed "Closely Watched Trains" that won a foreign language oscar in 1968.

« Reply #2525 on: November 28, 2017, 10:03:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Saw Justice League over the weekend.  have to say it's probably the best DC character movie yet other than the Dark Knight (Heath Ledger was incredible).  Very solid movie in terms of plot (made sense even for a superhero movie so you know, you have to stretch credibility a bit), character development /personalities/ storylines and had more humor than probably all the other DC movies combined. 

Would definitely recommend it to anyone who likes the genre. 

« Reply #2526 on: November 29, 2017, 12:22:11 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Anyone here can recommend a documentary about bball in the 50s/60s?

« Reply #2527 on: November 29, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Saw Justice League over the weekend.  have to say it's probably the best DC character movie yet other than the Dark Knight (Heath Ledger was incredible).  Very solid movie in terms of plot (made sense even for a superhero movie so you know, you have to stretch credibility a bit), character development /personalities/ storylines and had more humor than probably all the other DC movies combined. 

did you watch Wonder Woman?  Most reviews say Wonder Woman is far better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2528 on: November 30, 2017, 11:18:20 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

did you watch Wonder Woman?  Most reviews say Wonder Woman is far better.
I did.  I liked that one as well but found the side characters and plot/villain to be a bit underdeveloped.

Primarily the team seemed a bit contrived and forced in terms of a variety of character personalities that could have used more identity behind them.   I don't know much about the Wonder Woman storyline from the comics to know if Ares is her primary adversary or a driving force behind why she is who she is.  Same with Dr. Poison.  the characters seemed a bit forced (for lack of a better term). 

I liked both movies to the point I'm hoping they make a sequel to each.  I think they did a good enough job with the other heroes in Justice League that they may be able to branch out with a movie about Flash, Aquaman (considering the knocks that character gets on Big Bang Theory that's saying something) and maybe even Cyborg and get a good box office return on those movies (if done well naturally).

As a contrast, I can't say the same about Suicide Squad even though it was set up to have a sequel based on the ending. 

« Reply #2529 on: November 30, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I didn’t care for Justice League. I thought it was too generic, and thought that the various new heroes weren’t set up well enough. I really liked Aquaman and Flash, but it seemed obvious that big parts of the movie were cut to meet the 2 hour running time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2530 on: January 30, 2018, 07:39:26 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Darkest Hour..  Excellent!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2531 on: January 30, 2018, 08:11:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Well thank goodness  8)
Yup

« Reply #2532 on: January 30, 2018, 02:38:25 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

Well thank goodness  8)
before you said, sort of,that it was good, I almost decided not to see it...because I absolutely could not see Gary Oldman in the role.  How  wrong I was.  Again, excellent!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2533 on: January 30, 2018, 03:23:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I saw the movie "Mother!" and thought it was amazing. It's a horror movie, but it takes a little while to figure out what kind of horror movie.  All I'll say is that you've heard the story before, just not told from the same perspective. Once it clicked, the real plot of what I'd been watching fell into place and it was just a really cool moment.

Warning: It's a very, very intense and brutal movie - the same director as Requiem for a Dream if you've seen that one. It's also probably not for significant others; it's very female-centered both in terms of perspective and the nature of the horror. My wife got too stressed and had to bail out halfway through haha.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 03:29:46 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #2534 on: January 30, 2018, 03:52:34 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Well thank goodness  8)
before you said, sort of,that it was good, I almost decided not to see it...because I absolutely could not see Gary Oldman in the role.  How  wrong I was.  Again, excellent!

This was the last movie I saw too.  And I too liked it, but I've always been a fan of Gary Oldman.

Before that I saw The Shape of Water, which I liked, but I didn't think it was much of a drama.  More of a quirky visual and genre piece.
Yup