Author Topic: Celtics (43-28) at 76ers (46-25) Game #72 3/20/19  (Read 35715 times)

Re: Celtics (43-28) at 76ers (46-25) Game #72 3/20/19
« Reply #615 on: March 21, 2019, 05:59:12 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Embiid wrote after the game that Philly is Lametown :)
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #616 on: March 21, 2019, 03:57:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Smart stupidly tried to close out a last second three point shot with no time on the clock to end the first half and fouled Redick costing the team 3 points.

Then in the first minute of the 2nd half he stupidly tried to start a fight with Embiid over a nothing no call, got kicked out of a game where the Celtics were already shorthanded with no Hayward and no Baynes in the second half and cost the team two more points.

The team was up 14 at the time. Philly had no life in them whatsoever. They were dead in the water except for Embiid. But the Smart push bred life back into Philly, shorthanded the Celtics and turned the game around into Philly's momentum advantage.

Smart lost this game. In less than 70 seconds of game time, his blatant stupidity cost the Celtics 5 points they otherwise wouldn't have given up and got himself kicked out of the 2nd half.

BUT PEOPLE ARE TALKING ABOUT BROWN'S FREE THROWS BEING A PROBLEM!!!

I don't get it.

« Reply #617 on: March 21, 2019, 06:51:03 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Smart stupidly tried to close out a last second three point shot with no time on the clock to end the first half and fouled Redick costing the team 3 points.

Then in the first minute of the 2nd half he stupidly tried to start a fight with Embiid over a nothing no call, got kicked out of a game where the Celtics were already shorthanded with no Hayward and no Baynes in the second half and cost the team two more points.

The team was up 14 at the time. Philly had no life in them whatsoever. They were dead in the water except for Embiid. But the Smart push bred life back into Philly, shorthanded the Celtics and turned the game around into Philly's momentum advantage.

Smart lost this game. In less than 70 seconds of game time, his blatant stupidity cost the Celtics 5 points they otherwise wouldn't have given up and got himself kicked out of the 2nd half.

I don't get it.

But the Embiid thing was worth it.  Imho. 

I do think the team relies too much on Smart's hustle plays.  The Celtics need another guy who gets after it.  Too much general passivity from Tatum, and too much occasional passivity from Brown.

The defensive guy in the draft Thybulle, or someone like that.  We need a bench version of Smart.  Or even another starter. 

No one on the current Celtics comes close to Smart's level of effort.

The Reddick foul was not a smart one...but at least he's trying his arse off and flying all over the court. Who else can say that on this team?  Takes more than one guy doing stuff like that.   

« Reply #618 on: March 21, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't get it.

But the Embiid thing was worth it.  Imho. 

I do think the team relies too much on Smart's hustle plays.  The Celtics need another guy who gets after it.  Too much general passivity from Tatum, and too much occasional passivity from Brown.

The defensive guy in the draft Thybulle, or someone like that.  We need a bench version of Smart.  Or even another starter. 

No one on the current Celtics comes close to Smart's level of effort.

The Reddick foul was not a smart one...but at least he's trying his arse off and flying all over the court. Who else can say that on this team?  Takes more than one guy doing stuff like that.
Several players on this team have defensive ratings lower than Smart's. For instance, Brown has the 15th lowest defensive rating in the league with players averaging over 20 minutes a game, two points lower than Smart. Now I am not saying that Brown or any of the other players with defensive ratings on the Celtics lower than Smart's are better defenders than Smart, but I think they prove those players aren't playing passive defense on the regular.

« Reply #619 on: March 21, 2019, 07:33:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't get it.
Imagine if Brown had done it instead of Smart
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #620 on: March 22, 2019, 05:09:34 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Celtics announced that Horford Baynes Hayward are all out tomorrow vs. Charlotte

« Reply #621 on: March 22, 2019, 07:49:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I don't get it.

I'd be as proud of Brown as I was of Smart. It's time other teams figure out we are not a bunch of pansies and are not going to be pushed around. What about the blatant elbow Embiid threw at Smart? The game was lost when Baynes got injured. He was playing the best defense on Embiid.

« Reply #622 on: March 22, 2019, 09:57:34 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don't get it.

I'd be as proud of Brown as I was of Smart. It's time other teams figure out we are not a bunch of pansies and are not going to be pushed around. What about the blatant elbow Embiid threw at Smart? The game was lost when Baynes got injured. He was playing the best defense on Embiid.
Watch the video again.  Embiid didn't throw his elbow.  He just did a chicken wing when he set the screen.  It was nothing.  If I wanted to, I could find similar video of our players doing similar chicken wings when setting screens.  Smart was just p---ed that he got dumped on his butt and no foul was called.   

« Reply #623 on: March 22, 2019, 10:08:11 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I don't get it.

Watch the video again.  Embiid didn't throw his elbow.  He just did a chicken wing when he set the screen.  It was nothing.  If I wanted to, I could find similar video of our players doing similar chicken wings when setting screens.  Smart was just p---ed that he got dumped on his butt and no foul was called.   

I did watch the video and it's clearly an elbow (see at :37 seconds.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gM7gfe-B30

Then, at :48 seconds even Doris Burke and Mike Breen agree that Embiid elbows Smart

Not sure what a chicken wing is unless it's sold at KFC.

« Reply #624 on: March 22, 2019, 10:23:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don't get it.

Then, at :48 seconds even Doris Burke and Mike Breen agree that Embiid elbows Smart

You said Embiid blatantly threw an elbow.  It wasn't blatant and he didn't throw it.  He stuck his elbow out setting the screen and got it into Marcus' ribs as he went by.  It was a rather veteran, crafty move.  You could tell Embiid expected to get called for a foul when Smart went down but I expect Smart's reputation as a flopper played against him.  Then Smart overreacted and Embiid played up the fall and got Smart tossed. 

« Reply #625 on: March 22, 2019, 10:47:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't get it.

You said Embiid blatantly threw an elbow.  It wasn't blatant and he didn't throw it.  He stuck his elbow out setting the screen and got it into Marcus' ribs as he went by.  It was a rather veteran, crafty move.  You could tell Embiid expected to get called for a foul when Smart went down but I expect Smart's reputation as a flopper played against him.  Then Smart overreacted and Embiid played up the fall and got Smart tossed.
LOL. Wish I was surprised to see you saying things like this
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #626 on: March 22, 2019, 10:55:06 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I don't get it.

Lol....what???