Author Topic: Good Bye  (Read 24933 times)

Good Bye
« on: March 27, 2010, 10:21:53 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
My rights to post on the Current Events forum have been revoked by Roy Hobbs.  This is no longer an open community; it is a closed system.  This will therefore be my last post on Celticsblog. 

For those who wish better to understand Republican hypocrisy on the health care issue, I recommend this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_overhaul_requiring_insurance

Re: Good Bye
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I regret that you'll be leaving us Brick, but I will correct one inaccuracy in your post. "Roy Hobbs" did not remove your access to the CE forums, the moderators as a whole did for your  repeated violations of the rules of the forum.

I do hope you'll reconsider your overall participation in CB, CE is just a small fiery piece of the community. One which contains only a tiny fraction of your overall posts on CB.

If you'd like to discuss the rules of the CB and specifically the CE forum, there is a whole thread on the topic here.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:07:33 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 11:26:43 AM »

Kiorrik

My rights to post on the Current Events forum have been revoked by Roy Hobbs.  This is no longer an open community; it is a closed system.  This will therefore be my last post on Celticsblog. 

For those who wish better to understand Republican hypocrisy on the health care issue, I recommend this article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_overhaul_requiring_insurance
Ugh. I hate it when good people leave.

Please reconsider m8.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 11:39:57 AM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
I don't usually pay much mind to these "goodbye" threads, but Brick?  Wow!!!  :o

Brick you may not remember this, but you were the first poster I ever interacted with on this blog's forums, back in early 2007.  You were already a legend here back then, this blog will NOT be the same place without you.

Just went and read the first two pages of your "previous posts," it's right there in black & white, you have brought such a great perspective to this blog over the years.  Thank you Brick, very very sorry to see you go...

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:47:38 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Man, didn't see this coming at all. Sorry to see you leave, Brick. I hope you will return once again. Have a good one, mate.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 11:49:20 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I regret that you'll be leaving us Brick, but I will correct one inaccuracy in your post. "Roy Hobbs" did not remove your access to the CE forums, the moderators as a whole did for your  repeated violations of the rules of the forum.

Hey, if they'd done the sensible thing and made me global ombudsman you might still be allowed to post.

Or, more likely, I'd have kicked you out, and kicked myself out for good measure. Wouldn't want to be seen as playing favorites.

For some reason, I just can't let that "ombudsman" thing go? Is there a self-help forum or something like that? I need to kick the habit...

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:57:00 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
find another blog that let's you expound on political stuff, stay here for the Celtics...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 12:03:01 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Sad to see you go Brick....

I personally stay far away from the political threads here - too many people refuse to budge from their side of the battle. I don't like mixing that dirty laundry with my beloved Celtics.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 12:06:48 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

I personally stay far away from the political threads here - too many people refuse to budge from their side of the battle. I don't like mixing that dirty laundry with my beloved Celtics.

a way I look at politics is part of something I teach in economics

there's two types of thinking

positive statements and normative statements

Positive statements are statements of fact (from positivism) - I am 27 years old.  Rajon Rondo plays for the Celtics.  The moon is made of swiss cheese.

Normative statements are statements of how things should be.  The Celtics should trade Tony Allen.  People should be for this new healthcare bill.  People should be against this new healthcare bill.

As you can see, positive statements can be wrong.  But it would be easy for someone to prove to me that the moon is in fact not made of swiss cheese.  Normative statements are more tied to values.  I may not like Tony Allen, someone else does.  It is very hard to change my mind with argument, we just keep spinning wheels.  Politics tend to fall into the normative - no right answer, which leads to values based argument and people getting mad and leaving blogs.  That's why I avoid it here.

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 12:10:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just to reiterate something about the Current Events Forum:

Any poster who wishes to "opt out" of the Current Events Forum may do so.  To disable Current Events posts from showing up in your Latest Forums Topic menu and to disable your access to the forum, contact Roy Hobbs, who will remove your access privileges.

If people are getting too worked up about what they see in there or just can't handle what's being expressed, you can opt out.  We realize its not for everyone and some people just want to come here to discuss basketball which is perfectly fine.

Just let us know.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 12:13:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
We have a policy of not publicly discussing the specifics of discipline on here, and there's no reason to change that policy.  Sadly, this is one of those times the staff can't really defend itself, even though its warranted.  For those who are interested, though, there's a long public record in the Current Events forum that folks can review on their own.

I'll be sad to see Brick go, but in the end, its his choice.  Our decisions related to this site (in the Current Events forum and elsewhere) come down to one thing:  we have rules here, and nobody -- including long-standing, respected members -- are above those rules.  Unfortunately, the staff is required to enforce those rules, and we can only bend over backwards to save posters from themselves so many times. Eventually, we're required to take actions that we don't like to take, and that's unfortunate.

As always, it sucks anytime a member -- long-term or otherwise -- leaves, but that's a fact of life in an internet community.  Brick will be missed, and he's welcome to reconsider any time that he'd like.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

a way I look at politics is part of something I teach in economics

there's two types of thinking

positive statements and normative statements

Positive statements are statements of fact (from positivism) - I am 27 years old.  Rajon Rondo plays for the Celtics.  The moon is made of swiss cheese.

Normative statements are statements of how things should be.  The Celtics should trade Tony Allen.  People should be for this new healthcare bill.  People should be against this new healthcare bill.

As you can see, positive statements can be wrong.  But it would be easy for someone to prove to me that the moon is in fact not made of swiss cheese.  Normative statements are more tied to values.  I may not like Tony Allen, someone else does.  It is very hard to change my mind with argument, we just keep spinning wheels.  Politics tend to fall into the normative - no right answer, which leads to values based argument and people getting mad and leaving blogs.  That's why I avoid it here.

Yup well put!  TP

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Just for the record, we have many quality "Hello" threads for your viewing as well:

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?board=38.0

Sorry to see you go Brick.  I am more of a peruser of the CE forums than an active participant.  As others have said, it's really hard to keep things that are so close to a person's moral core and ask that they remain impartial in a conversation.
Yup

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 12:31:56 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
We have a policy of not publicly discussing the specifics of discipline on here, and there's no reason to change that policy.  Sadly, this is one of those times the staff can't really defend itself, even though its warranted.  For those who are interested, though, there's a long public record in the Current Events forum that folks can review on their own.

I'll be sad to see Brick go, but in the end, its his choice.  Our decisions related to this site (in the Current Events forum and elsewhere) come down to one thing:  we have rules here, and nobody -- including long-standing, respected members -- are above those rules.  Unfortunately, the staff is required to enforce those rules, and we can only bend over backwards to save posters from themselves so many times. Eventually, we're required to take actions that we don't like to take, and that's unfortunate.

As always, it sucks anytime a member -- long-term or otherwise -- leaves, but that's a fact of life in an internet community.  Brick will be missed, and he's welcome to reconsider any time that he'd like.

I've noticed this a few times now when someone puts up an I'm leaving thread - generally the other posters try to convince the person to reconsider, stay, come back (and sometimes they thankfully do) yet often times the mods say happy trails, come back if you want (not, please reconsider your leaving) it's subtle, but I'm wondering if it's part of policy or more just a personal feeling

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 12:39:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I've noticed this a few times now when someone puts up an I'm leaving thread - generally the other posters try to convince the person to reconsider, stay, come back (and sometimes they thankfully do) yet often times the mods say happy trails, come back if you want (not, please reconsider your leaving) it's subtle, but I'm wondering if it's part of policy or more just a personal feeling

well, I guess it beats "don't let the door hit you on the buttocks", but no, there is no official mod policy on how we are supposed to feel about a particular member leaving (and making a thread in the forums dedicated to announcing they are doing so).

We are individuals, and thus we react differently with our emotions,  or public statement of them.
Yup