Author Topic: Wife's Christmas Party or C's Game?  (Read 22688 times)

Re: Wife's Christmas Party or C's Game?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2009, 03:17:52 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
Been married 24 years this past Sunday......let me say this ....if you had to come in here to ask to help you decide then I already know the answer.....enjoy the party.

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Listen to the wisdom on this board.  

You are a young man with a young marriage.  Put the priority where it belongs and support your wife.  If you made the right choice and married the right woman, she will always remember and appreciate that you put her first, and that will come back to you over the years.

She offered to take you to a Mavs game, so obviously she recognizes that you are giving something up, and she wants to make it up to you.  Lame seats or not, take her up on it.  You'll see a better team, imo, and you'll have a nice getaway with her.

Better yet, here's a proposition for you.  Christmas is coming.  Give her a gift from you to both of you.  Get two airline tickets and a couple of nights in a hotel for a weekend winter getaway to Boston.  It will be a special adventure, and if you do it, I'll GIVE YOU two tickets to a game at the Garden.

If you want to go that way, shoot me a PM and I'll send back a couple of dates to chose from.

We all love the C's here, but let's keep first things first.

I read this and thought to myself: "I am not worthy"

and with this post  i will nominate FKD post as post of the year.

Amen to that. What a class act! TP to you FKD!

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 03:20:21 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Talking things out and compromise on both parts is the answer.    You can maybe talk to her and come to some sort of agreement.   The wise thing to do is to go to the party with your wife as there would be a slew of hard feelings if you don't.  And that is a good idea to take her to see them in another arena if you can get to one. 

For our 5th anniversary,  my hubby wanted to take me out to dinner and I wanted to watch a Celtics playoff game (This was back when we didn't have very many of them).  So we compromised and went to a restaurant where they had sports on TV and I asked them to put the game on.  We came home during half time and so I only missed about 10 minutes of the game.

To me, there would be no question LOL.  I'd skip my own party to watch the Celtics but I do realize that not everyone is as fanatical as me.  But for a young marriage, going to the party is the right thing.   

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 03:22:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
on to the negotiations:  Things that will be "demanded" in return:

1- Good seats at the Celts Mavs game in March (Thank the Lord it is on a Saturday),
2- If the same thing happens next year, we both go to the C's game.

Any other ideas to throw into the negotiations?

All snarky, CB-prohibited answers that come to mind aside, make sure to keep the "negotiations" friendly.  Instead of sounding like you're hammering out a contract, take the emotional tack: tell her you know going to the party together is important to her, so you're going to go, but going to a C's game is really important to you, so you hope she'll do everything she can to make that work for you later on. 

Also, you should TiVo the game if possible and make her bring you drinks and snacks while you watch it later that night/the next day. 

Also also, bowling rules regardless of "atmosphere".

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423

For our 5th anniversary,  my hubby wanted to take me out to dinner and I wanted to watch a Celtics playoff game (This was back when we didn't have very many of them).    

So divorce that lout and marry me.

Just kidding...

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 03:34:39 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Listen to the wisdom on this board.  

You are a young man with a young marriage.  Put the priority where it belongs and support your wife.  If you made the right choice and married the right woman, she will always remember and appreciate that you put her first, and that will come back to you over the years.

She offered to take you to a Mavs game, so obviously she recognizes that you are giving something up, and she wants to make it up to you.  Lame seats or not, take her up on it.  You'll see a better team, imo, and you'll have a nice getaway with her.

Better yet, here's a proposition for you.  Christmas is coming.  Give her a gift from you to both of you.  Get two airline tickets and a couple of nights in a hotel for a weekend winter getaway to Boston.  It will be a special adventure, and if you do it, I'll GIVE YOU two tickets to a game at the Garden.

If you want to go that way, shoot me a PM and I'll send back a couple of dates to chose from.

We all love the C's here, but let's keep first things first.

Wow, that really is a nice offer. Did I mention that I was have the same problem with my wife? ;)

Seriously take his advice. I've been married over 30 years to the same wonderful woman, and as much as I love the Celtics, I would still prefer to be with her. Now if you could work it out that she goes to the game with you and than you both go to the party, well that's a win, win.

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2009, 03:38:39 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
As a fellow C's fan who only gets the luxury of seeing the Celts in person once a year (Portland), I can offer my perspective if you're still not 100% committed to ditching the game for the wife's party:

It's just a game. I missed the Celts visit to Portland last year and it didn't change my life - no big deal. Don't forget, there's always next year's game. If you save the money from the tickets to this year's game, you could have double the money for next year's game - maybe you could get some real primo (courtside?) seats. I did that a few years ago - splurged and got courtside seats when Boston came to town - I'd rather do that once and watch the rest of the games on TV than get decent seats every year.

As a guy with a spouse that isn't very much into sports, you don't want to make sports a wedge between you and her. Your situation is the perfect example - if you go to the game, it will become a wedge - and wedges are only good for splitting things (think chopping wood).

Marriage is a two-way street. She can't always have it her way. But it sure sounds like this is a case where you should give in. She'll appreciate you for it.

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
And to add some true story
Once I miss an aniversary (one of the first) I cant rememeber if it was when we were boyfriend and girlfriend or married
But yesterday (and I am not kidding) while watching a bkb game she remembered me that once we miss and aniversary for watching a Cs game on tv
Elephants have good memory, wives have better.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I just thought of something...you're going bowling. Well, if it's like any other bowling alley I know there will be a bar and a television on.

Consolation prize?!?!?! Maybe!! ;D

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2009, 03:55:09 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I just thought of something...you're going bowling. Well, if it's like any other bowling alley I know there will be a bar and a television on.

Ha.  I dont know if that is a consolation prize or punishment.  http://www.bowlredpin.com/gallery/interior

There is the link to the place and a couple of pictures.  As you can see in the pictures at the end of the lanes there are 4 projector screens.  I will be making sure one of them has the game on.

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2009, 04:01:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Ha.  I dont know if that is a consolation prize or punishment.  http://www.bowlredpin.com/gallery/interior

There is the link to the place and a couple of pictures.  As you can see in the pictures at the end of the lanes there are 4 projector screens.  I will be making sure one of them has the game on.
I know what you mean.

I had front row balcony seats at half court for my son's birthday last Friday, shelled out some decent bucks for them and had to send him with my brother because I was sick with the flu. I was sick as a dog but it was still agony to watch knowing I could have been there.

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

pst also, under any circunstance, dont dare to start repeating that at that time you might have been at the game thats counterproductive
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
You might even get lucky and have a tv on the game at the party.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
You can tivo the game.  That's no big deal.  The critical thing is to let your wife know that she is more important than the Celtics-- even if she isn't.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:59:52 PM by Brickowski »

« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Wife's Christmas Party at the C's game.  ;D