Author Topic: Time to say "Goodbye"  (Read 18464 times)

Re: Time to say "Goodbye"
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 03:57:24 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Celticsblog used to be a good site, but, in the past couple of years or so, it has become lousy. This place is so cliquey that when I log on I feel like I'm hanging out with Lauren Conrad's bunch. 

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 03:58:36 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Celticsblog used to be a good site, but, in the past couple of years or so, it has become lousy. This place is so cliquey that when I log on I feel like I'm hanging out with Lauren Conrad's bunch. 

I honestly am not sure where all this talk of cliqueyness is coming from.

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Shame to see you go ACF.  Hopefully you can at least make a cameo in the mid-June championship thread :)  Man, a lot of meta-posting (posting about posting) going on lately.  I spend as much time here as any non-mod, but sometimes I feel like there's some bizarre soap opera going on in the background that I'm not noticing until times like this. 

Sure, some people "know" each other better than others, and some actually know each other off-site, but I've never seen anything particularly cliquish except some silly inside jokes and what have you.  Those who are sometimes hostile toward others don't usually seem to care what name is attached to the post they disagree with.

I dunno; I'm baffled by a lot of the stuff I read in these threads, because I really don't see it.  Maybe because I usually notice the post and not the poster (except for Roy's, where I see all the stars and start instinctively mouthing the Pledge  ;)). I'd like to see less pessimism and negativity, toward the team and especially toward each other, but that's par for the course of being a sports fan.  CB's a good place to talk about the C's with likeminded people, and that's all that matters to me.

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 04:14:33 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Sorry to see you go, ACF...I was curious about Dark Lord as well...One of my favorite people to have spirited debates with...

I wish I knew what the issues were that drew you to your decision.

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 04:31:17 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't see the "Soap" either FWF. I do regret seeing my favorite posters leave.

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 04:33:05 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
To be honest, if it wasn't for Jeff's posts and some other posters such as Edgar, Drucci or some others I would have left too. As someone said before, things have changed in the last months. It's not Jeff's fault or the mods fault...it is just like that.

I am currently checking much more often the Celticslife site (and also writing and trying to contribute a little bit under the Bohemian nickname). I also logged in the Celtics Green site and it's a really nice place over there too...

I will check on this site from time to time because I really like Jeff's style and view on this team. Celticsblog has been great for me, but I don't feel as comfortable as I used to be here.

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 04:35:35 PM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
When I first came here it was towards the end of the 07 season going into the summer of getting KG and Ray.  It was about the lottery, and the draft, and then the trades, and the 08 season.

When it wasn't about the Celtics, it was about the NBA.  It was about Boston sports, and anything else going on.  There was plenty of debating going on but overall the tone of the forums was a lot more positive and a productive place.  There wasn't as much editing of posts and rules and all this stuff.  The etiquette of the forums seemed to be good without as much of that going on.

I agree. I came on a lot during that season, browsing the forums and checking the posts. Sometimes I'd log into a game chat and discuss anything and everything.

Now, I come to see what time the games on, and maybe check trade rumors. I think this is the first time I logged into the site in over a year. It's a shame.

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i'm sorry but people should not take things so personally here. i had someone send me 7 private somewhat angry messages after michael jackson died. i just avoided that person after that. These places are just like real life. Some people are cool,others not so much. But whatever. i'm posting here because i think it's kind of funny this thread is more than a page. What do we need to hold a press conference or something?lol.

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 05:09:44 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
KC, i have no idea either how there could be cliques online. it's hysterical. it's like people talking tough online. if i'm just an average or cruddy poster do i get a thread of my own? maybe we should retire this dude's scrreen name and post it on the blog where everyone can see it.I GUARANTEE if someone says good bye because they are upset or dissapointed they will be back.GUARANTEE the guy comes back.

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 05:56:30 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
This site has been a part of my life ever since I find out there was such thing as a blog devoted to the Celtics.  The C's were bad then, but it was amazing for me to stay connected to the C's and other C's fans especially during the off-season.  I don't read any other blog and am not very blog savvy, as it were.  Therefore, I have no comparisons with regard to rules, etiquette, or standard blog behavior.

I have always been impressed that the mods have kept the dialogue respectful and I haven't really noticed huge changes over the past 2 years (since the C's have been good), but there was quite an adjustment after KG era began -- more posters and many more younger, or less mature, posters.  But the less mature posters seem to come and go and the good posters, regardless of age, have made this blog worth my time on almost a daily basis.  I have been scolded (lightly) by the mods once or twice but as soon as I got past my knee-jerk reaction of feeling like a scolded child, I realized that I probably over-stepped.

I wish I understood what is at the heart of this exodus -- I actually feel a little naive not to understand what's going on.  I have no real 'friends' here, I don't know anything about social networking (and don't want to) and I don't know a soul on C-blog outside of this site.  Yet, I feel I am almost always treated respectfully and am enriched by the various points of views (celtics related and otherwise) that are expressed here.

I am disappointed that really good posters like ACF will not post here anymore and I put my voice among the others hoping for reconsideration.

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2009, 06:03:38 PM »

Kiorrik

This site has been a part of my life ever since I find out there was such thing as a blog devoted to the Celtics.  The C's were bad then, but it was amazing for me to stay connected to the C's and other C's fans especially during the off-season.  I don't read any other blog and am not very blog savvy, as it were.  Therefore, I have no comparisons with regard to rules, etiquette, or standard blog behavior.

I have always been impressed that the mods have kept the dialogue respectful and I haven't really noticed huge changes over the past 2 years (since the C's have been good), but there was quite an adjustment after KG era began -- more posters and many more younger, or less mature, posters.  But the less mature posters seem to come and go and the good posters, regardless of age, have made this blog worth my time on almost a daily basis.  I have been scolded (lightly) by the mods once or twice but as soon as I got past my knee-jerk reaction of feeling like a scolded child, I realized that I probably over-stepped.

I wish I understood what is at the heart of this exodus -- I actually feel a little naive not to understand what's going on.  I have no real 'friends' here, I don't know anything about social networking (and don't want to) and I don't know a soul on C-blog outside of this site.  Yet, I feel I am almost always treated respectfully and am enriched by the various points of views (celtics related and otherwise) that are expressed here.

I am disappointed that really good posters like ACF will not post here anymore and I put my voice among the others hoping for reconsideration.
My respect for this post goes beyond the TP that you have just received.

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2009, 06:05:53 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

My respect for this post goes beyond the TP that you have just received.

NG has always been one of the classiest ... and a long-time favorite of mine. TP.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 06:15:59 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
It's a message board guys.  Yes maybe I dont understand it like some others might because I dont have 5-8 posts a day, but when it really comes down to it, it's just a message board.  Yes, there are rules, and yes sometimes they dont get enforced like they should, is this really any different than real life?  It's not, why run away every time theres some flash adversity.

Yes there are posters on here who like to put themselves up on a pedistal, yes there are members who fall in line with anything they post, almost to a point where it's comical.  Yes there are a lot of politics on here.  Pretty much everything you guys have went back and forth about, you have valid points.  But really, at the end of the day, this is just a message board.  You can get up and walk away from the computer and seperate yourself from it and come back.  Thats the beauty of it.  I just dont understand what all this drama, farewell threads are about.  Is a celticsblog walk out next?  C'mon guys.

I'm sorry if I was insensitive, and again maybe it's because Im not on here as much as others.  You guys are great posters and good guys as well as intelligent fans, I hope you guys decide to come back after you step away for a little while.
Greg

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2009, 06:32:12 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
I remember way back when a couple of people got banned from here and formed a blog named Celtics Doom. That blog was probably the funniest, most profane basketball site around, but it has been defunct ever since the Celtics stopped being horrible.

Hopefully this latest exodus will lead to some similar awesomeness.

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2009, 06:36:44 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'd hate to say it, if only bcause I know some people aren't gonna like it, but while there's some truth with what MattG12 said, I do agree with KC as far as the indifference to this topic, if not irritating. Ok, maybe I disagree. Maybe it's just me, but if I feel like I wanna leave an online community for a while, I don't make topics like these. I just go.

No, actually, you probably won't like this; don't adjust your reading glasses if you have them and saw me say "leave...for a while"; I agree with cornbreadsmart, I'm willing to call ACF's bluff on leaving forever, especially over a supposed issue on the forum. I'm not going to pretend I know what exactly happened, and don't try to "lecture" me on that, cause it won't change my opinion; ACF will probably be back at some point.

The Blog as a whole isn't perfect, we can agree on that, but I've been around the internet; there are PLENTY...PLENTY of communities that are much much MUCH worse than CelticsBlog. I don't care what ACF says or thinks, or anyone for that matter; anyone can PM me for specific examples of sites I've been at; CelticsBlog is easily one of the more civil and well-run online communities out there, at LEAST as far as sports sites go, and ESPECIALLY for a blog concerning the Boston Celtics.  I've even mentioned a couple of trashy sites at one or two points at my time here, but it'd probably take forever to look through my posting history...but, I know what a really trashy online community can look like, and despite any change that others say have happened to CelticsBlog, it's not even close to most of the crappy sites on the internet.

Anyways, is there possibly an inner circle? I suppose. But I don't see this supposed inner circle as imposing or intimidating to the rest of the Blog. I just post and for the most part I don't think I've been slighted unfairly for my opinion. Maybe I haven't been here long enough, but then again, I can go to one of these other sports communities and feel dumber rather than slighted.  ::)

This is a good place. You're not going to get along all the time, especially on a sports blog, but at the very least, be thankful. I think ATP seems at least that deep inside, so he'll be back. At least, if he's as big as a Celtic fan as he seems, cause as far as Celtic sites go, this is easily one of the best communities.