Author Topic: Post # 10K - Help Redz Get in Shape  (Read 27262 times)

Re: Post # 10K - Help Redz Get in Shape
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
Here's something I've been thinking about for a while.  I know there are quite a few fitness buffs on here, so I'm looking for help with a plan, or at the very least someone to answer to. 

Here's my situation.  I'm 40.  It's been probably 10 years since I did any steady, regular exercise for more than a few weeks.  I've always been a bit overweight, but I have a large frame and have done alright carrying the weight.  My weight has been fairly steady for the last 7 or 8 years, until this past year, where I peaked.  I have had pretty good success in the past, when I put my mind to it, with a pretty simple plan of eating better food, and exercising regularly.  Not brain surgery there. Time constraints seems to be my biggest excuse for not exercising.  I also have an issue with seeing some results, then letting it slide because I've "earned it".  Bad rationalizing.

There's really no bad reason for getting on a healthier track, but I have some very compelling reasons to start now.  I've made a lot of changes in my life in the past few months, and this is just as important as the rest.  I started grad school in December...I moved out of my place of business for the last 12 years...I am going to be returning to waiting on tables part time for the first time in 10 years...I am going to be reopening my biz as a part time scaled down operation...I have 2 little girls whose schedules are going to become increasingly more involved in the years to come...Basically, I have a lot on the plate, and I feel like I need to get myself in better shape to deal with it.

Physically, I'm not up to running.  I have two bad knees from being a catcher.  I can walk, and I can work up to walking decent distances at decent speeds.  Strength wise, I actually feel like I've never been stronger, but it's more of a brute strength thing - nothing exercise based.  I've never been a big weight lifter.

I'd like to get into a regiment that I commit to for 30-45 a day and cut the crap with my comfort eating.

I use this place for all sorts of stuff, I figured maybe you guys/gals could help keep me accountable until I get the "training wheels" off.

I own a treadmill, but a new gym just opened up that my wife's been going to. 

Any ideas?

Redz,

Best of luck to you sir. I"m 6'2'' and 205 lbs of mostly fat. I need to "tone up" or something this summer but am rather scared to lift weights, but I suppose I could give it a try. If you get any suggestions on this thread that might help my situation please let me know. Again, I"m must looking to get some muscle.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 02:13:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Hey Redz...just one small tip here...avoid cooking things in oil/butter (or using butter at all), and see where you can use other methods. Instead of sauting with oil or butter, try about a quarter inch of water (is that poaching?). For instance I just made fajitas, and did this by cooking onions, peppers, chicken and spices in a covered pot with the quarter inch water for 20 mins. Same can be done with eggs, sausage (but obviously not some other things..mainly bacon. I just can't figure how to make bacon healthy), and you're cutting out one of the biggest calorie offenders in the process.

I've also found that making food ahead of time helps with eating crappy during lunch. struggling to find something healthy at 98% of restaurants is hard, so know what you're gonna eat for lunch the night before you eat it, so you have a plan. Plans/promises are also harder to break the less opportunities you give yourself to break them. (I dunno if that makes sense)

just some ideas

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 02:14:43 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
cut on the beers..

mm..did i said that before  :P
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
METABOLISM is the key. Get on the coffee/tea, get the most legal or close to it version of ephedrine you can find, Tylenol, eat 5 small meals a day. Don't eat after 7pm, do your cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning if at all possible, and do 40 min of peak cardio. Even if you just walk, walk at your max rate for 40 min. Cut out anything that's white in your diet, get veggie chicken burgers because they're tastier than the real thing, get a daily multivitamin for weight loss.

And once you get in a semblance of what you think is a high level of fitness, if possible, P90x. I'm on cycle 2 of doubles, life changing. Check out the reviews.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 07:34:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Thanks all...I'll keep you posted...and, seriously, if anyone wants to join in feel free.
Yup

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 09:28:52 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
At times when I didn't have money I ate one meal and had one coffee a day and saw awesome results. Plus maybe a snack.

I think Slim fast type things can work pretty decent.

Then you don't have to exercise.

Once I asked an Olympian fencer what he felt was healthier to eat and he was like "I eat whatever I want whenever I want and exercise it all off." which is a point. Michael Phelps eats like 12 meals a day. I don't think it's possible to be able to run a 5 minute mile and be fat. If you could do that you could run 3 miles in about 20 minutes which is a lot less than the 30-45 minutes you want to exercise

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2009, 09:42:12 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Huzzah for Celtics Blog Health Club!

I just started the following workout last week, mixed in with a couple days of interval cardio work in between, and will be going shortly this evening after finishing up some studying (work 7:15am - 4:15pm, study 'til 7:15pm (okay, I fell asleep for a half hour from 5-5:30) and then gym 'til 9pm..... oh how I miss the college life):

http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/golf-weight-training.html

My reasons are 3 fold:

1) Only 23 years old, but almost 2 years of a sedentary office lifestyle and a love of cheeseburgers has caught up with my once rapid metabolism (driving license from when I was 18 says 6'0" - 145 lbs... well, I'm 170 lbs now and ain't been getting any taller.

2) I've had very poor posture for a long time, and couple with a lot of golf growing up, my lower back is in pretty bad shape already.... this golf-specific workout routine is big on strengthening the core.

3) I want my 300 yard drives to be 330 yard drives.

Anyways... find some exercise routine like that, Redz.  I am like a lot of people... start to exercise then fall off after a few weeks.  Well I'm really trying to stick to this and since it is for a purpose, or three, I've been doing well so far.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2009, 10:23:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I just started the following workout last week, mixed in with a couple days of interval cardio work in between, and will be going shortly this evening after finishing up some studying (work 7:15am - 4:15pm, study 'til 7:15pm (okay, I fell asleep for a half hour from 5-5:30) and then gym 'til 9pm..... oh how I miss the college life):

My reasons are 3 fold:

1) Only 23 years old, but almost 2 years of a sedentary office lifestyle and a love of cheeseburgers has caught up with my once rapid metabolism (driving license from when I was 18 says 6'0" - 145 lbs... well, I'm 170 lbs now and ain't been getting any taller.

2) I've had very poor posture for a long time, and couple with a lot of golf growing up, my lower back is in pretty bad shape already.... this golf-specific workout routine is big on strengthening the core.

Anyways... find some exercise routine like that, Redz.  I am like a lot of people... start to exercise then fall off after a few weeks.  Well I'm really trying to stick to this and since it is for a purpose, or three, I've been doing well so far.

You go BT!

I'm pretty fired up to get going.  It's been a while coming.

And yes, Dad, I did see you reading this!

Yup

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 10:29:26 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
yes i am......by the way....your brother's eliptical killed my kne

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 01:41:11 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
If you like swimming, I believe it's a great and fun way to get in better shape.

Personally the only sports I practice are basketball (Eddie House's style :P) and swimming.

And finally, try avoiding the car as much as possible. I got overweight last year when i used the car all the time...

You can do it Redz :)

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 06:36:07 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

My reasons are 3 fold:

ive got a similar situation  :( now im starting to ball again and gym.. i plan on eating less too but if exercise could get me back in shape without eating less then much better

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 08:22:40 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Redz, with a lot on your plate you might want to consider a diet based weight loss plan as appose to an exercise based plan. Shaping up your eating habits to lose weight takes more dedication and management than time. (obviously you still want to exercise when you can.)

Calculate how many calories it takes a day to maintain your weight and eat less than that. (Freedieting.com offers a very helpful tool for this: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#)

For example: If it takes you 3200 calories a day to maintain your weight and then you eat 2500 calories. That 700 calories you save a day, in a week turns into 4900 (700 X 7). Now for every 3500 calories that you shed you lose a pound. So in this scenario 4900/3500 = 1.4 Lbs a week, 5.6 a month and over 20 lbs 4 months later. All without lifting a barbell.  :)

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 08:26:58 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
That sounds a lot like my situation three months ago. Roy Hobbs already said the most important things, imo. IŽll tell you what IŽve done in the last two months to lose ~15 kg (>30 lbs).

1. Start the day with a good breakfast.
If you want to lose weight, youŽll need a working metabolism. I always start with two bread rolls (with sunflower seeds) with cheese and two cups of coffee.

2. Drink only water for the rest of the day.
Probably the most important thing. IŽve told my family to start drinking water instead of Cola or whatever they have usually drunk, and everyone lost several pounds in a short time, even if they didnŽt change anything else.

3. Do a light workout every two days. Go to a gym.
My current schedule includes ten minutes on an ergometer, then a light workout with several machines (Butterfly, Reverse Butterfly etc), and another 25 minutes on the ergometer. Try to focus while working out. Remind yourself that if you "cut the corners", youŽre only fooling yourself.

4. You are what you eat. And you want to be a chicken. Or a turkey.
Eat fat-free meat after every workout. No spice, no side dish. Let your body know that after a workout, you want him to take his energy from fat, so no carbs for the rest of the day.

5. DonŽt eat more than you need.
If youŽre not hungry, stop eating.

6. Eat fresh vegetables.
Apples, Strawberries, Elderberries, Pineapples, Tangerines, Oranges, Pears, Peaches, Watermelon are good.
Bananas, Grapes, Kiwifruits and any other melon are bad.

7. No alcohol.

8. DonŽt eat anything other than vegetables after 6:00 pm.
Try to have at least three days per week where you donŽt eat anything after 6:00 pm. This will let your body produce growth hormones during sleep, even if youŽre 40, which will have a good effect on your metabolism.

9. Do it for a reason.
Pick the single most important reason why you really want to lose weight, and whenever you notice that you struggle to keep your schedule, remind yourself of it. Mine was Diabetes, btw.

To summarize:
Work out, drink water, eat vegetables. If you want to reward yourself, because you think youŽve "earned" it, do it with meat (see #4).

When IŽve started, I thought I could never keep up with my schedule.
The ergometer (especially the last 25 minutes) killed me, Water had no taste, and the vegetables messed with my digestion. Two months later, I can go full-speed on the ergometer, Water tastes sweet, and my digestion is better than ever (Btw, is it "too european" to talk about your digestion publicly?  ;D ).
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 08:46:17 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Redz,

I recently came to a crossroads myself about 5-6 months ago and found myself searching for a routine as well.  What i found is that setting lifting/cardio goals isnt as important in the beginning as dedicating yourself to just getting to the gym is.

Once at the gym, it's important to find exercises that allow you to have fun and don't grow stale.  Personally, i have a membership at Latitude gym and they have a basketball court, which is HUGE for me; sometimes, after a long day at the office, i find that just going to the gym and jumping onto the court for 45 minutes does the trick.

Once you get used to the machines and get comfortable with your surroundings, going to the gym will seem like less of a chore - to the point where you'll start looking forward to it throughout the day rather than lamenting it.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 08:46:33 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
...and you could also try Linseed Oil. One spoon with Linseed oil in the morning and one in the evening (not more, or it could have a toxic effect). If youŽre fat for quite some time now, the fat cells are probably sealed, which means even if your body wants to burn them, he canŽt. Linseed oil opens the fat cells. It also has a lot of Omega-3 fatty acids, which are very good for your metabolism. The downside is that it tastes absolutely disgusting.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.