Author Topic: TP Contest: Seeding Out Bandwagon Fans  (Read 26931 times)

Re: TP Contest: Seeding Out Bandwagon Fans
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 01:27:19 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
I know its all in good fun, but does this "weeding out bandwagon fans" thing rub anyone else the wrong way? 

Personally, I like the fact that the Celtics are relevant again.  Yes, it makes the championship that much sweeter for me, because I had stuck with them through the rough times, but I welcome anyone who wants to join in the celebration.

What he said.

Yup!

The bandwagon is big enough for all of us!!

I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 01:30:09 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
If this is a list of underwhelming Celts players, where are Michael Smith and Acie Earl or Dino Radja's buddy what's-his-name, um, Vrankovic?  Moiso is frequently cited in this category.  Poor guy.

Or are we looking for blips who had an OK year or two for us like Fred Roberts or Eric Montross?  The previously mentioned Alaa Abdelnaby fits pretty well here, he had some good efforts out there for us.

Or the seniors tour (past their prime when they joined the Celtics):  Sherman Douglas, The X Man, 'nique?  I'd think Pervous fits this category.

And plenty of others . . .

Whenever i hear the X-man's name, i always am reminded by the Larry Legend SI VHS tape.  (i loved that thing)  for those that haven't seen it, there's an interview with Xavier, i think he was on the suns or knicks or sonics, or something, and he talks about when Larry came out of a time out, told him he was gonna go right there and shoot it over him to win the game.  and then sure enough, inbound the ball, Larry goes to the exact spot, and drains the shot, right in his face.

I teared up.

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
when i hear x-man's name i think of this one blooper of him they use to show where he was picking his nose on the bench and he knew the camera caught him so he pretended to wipe it on Reggie. 

I was like 10 at the time, so I thought it was the funniest thing ever and Xman quickly became one of my favorites
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 01:39:52 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
14 games.

« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2008, 01:46:45 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Marty Conlon?

« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »

Offline SShorefan 3.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 202
Marty Conlon?

Just by a weird chance meeting, I got pretty drunk one night w/ Marty Conlon at the Sail Loft in the North End.  He had the lamest group of hanger ons I've ever seen.
I love my kids - Call me a sap, but it's true.

« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2008, 02:09:10 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Uuummmm....  KG?   ;)

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »

Offline RickyDavisfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
The Milt Palacio steal at half court falling forward shot to win it at the buzzer was my first positive memory as a Celtics fan.

IDK, maybe you hold up a copy of the CD that Waltah' made around christmas time??? (chestnuts roasting over an open fiiiiiire!" ... lol

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Blue Edwards? Fred Roberts? Artis Gilmore? Darren Daye? Eric Fernstein? Darren Morningstar?

This is one of those kind of funny, kind of depressing subjects.

« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Blue Edwards? Fred Roberts? Artis Gilmore? Darren Daye? Eric Fernstein? Darren Morningstar?

This is one of those kind of funny, kind of depressing subjects.

Blue led the C's in scoring for one very depressing Celtics season.
Yup

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2008, 01:33:29 AM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
Kevinn Pinkney

DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!

It's Kevinn Pinkey.

If you know who #51 is, you are a true absolute super fan.  Not that there aren't other diehards out there.  However, if you know who Kevinn Pinkey is, that means that you were a true fan in the worst state of the Celtics franchise.  And through all of that, somehow, you enjoyed watching the Magnificent Seven and Kevinn.

I will never forget the night that Pinkney stepped in and dropped down 15... the only reason we had him was because we were so beat up that the league granted us a roster exemption (we couldn't dress the 8).

So, Kevinn Pinkney is the ultimate secret password.  If anyone knows who he is, there is zero chance they jumped on the bandwagon.

Congratulations to noro, and be prepared to be showered with TP's!

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2008, 02:51:27 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I seriously am in a state of shock that no one here has mentioned Eric Montross, haha, I had his starting lineup figure when I was a kid.

Speaking of giant stiffs, how about Zan Tabak?  TP for anyone who remembers him.

Also, any fan that knows that Rick Fox was with the Celtics before he sold out and won his rings in LA deserves a TP as well.

Remembering Greg Minor coming out of no where dropping 30 that one game is also pretty ancient too.  I think someone already mentioned him though.

....David Wesley, E-Will, Miracle Milt Palacio....dealing Chauncey Billups b/c Kenny Anderson didnt want to get on a plane to Toronto, I was there for it all.

Like someone previously said, I have nothing against new fans, I welcome them all.  However, I just remember those days back in 90's living in the DC area and looking at my friends, smiling, and saying, "Yeah, well at least we're not as bad as the Bullets." whenever theyd give me crap about being a celtics fan.

Theres just something special about looking back at those days, and being here now, because I wasnt old enough to appreciate what was going on in the 80's.

Greg

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2008, 03:23:28 AM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4
I loved Sherm the Worm. And I was heart broke when Pitino broke up the mediocre but hustling team of Rick Fox, David Wesley, etc.

Didn't John Bagley go for 30 points and 15 assists in the play offs once?

And Milt Palacio has a great highlight to playing time ratio.

My guess was going to be Rick Fox, I used to love watching him play (that's so depressing to think of now, especially if you've seen any of his "acting" roles).  Also, congrats to noro on the big win!

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2008, 05:19:18 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Kevinn Pinkney

DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!

It's Kevinn Pinkey.

If you know who #51 is, you are a true absolute super fan.  Not that there aren't other diehards out there.  However, if you know who Kevinn Pinkey is, that means that you were a true fan in the worst state of the Celtics franchise.  And through all of that, somehow, you enjoyed watching the Magnificent Seven and Kevinn.

I will never forget the night that Pinkney stepped in and dropped down 15... the only reason we had him was because we were so beat up that the league granted us a roster exemption (we couldn't dress the 8).

So, Kevinn Pinkney is the ultimate secret password.  If anyone knows who he is, there is zero chance they jumped on the bandwagon.

Congratulations to noro, and be prepared to be showered with TP's!

How does knowing Kevin Pinkney make anyone a die hard fan? That's like saying if you know Will Bynum you're a die hard. But what if you now know and can't believe he is in Detroit's regular rotation? Are you more than just a die hard?

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2008, 06:55:46 AM »

Offline Slugger

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
What an anti-climax.

I was going to say 3rd and 6th pick. :'(

Not that any of that seems to matter, now we are the champs.