Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47302 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 01:02:24 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Yeah, the Cooks rumor seems a little out of the norm. I think they should stand pat with Butler for the year, and hope he plays like Deion.

Re: spending- I think the Patriots are again taking care of the future by playing hardball with their players. I don't think the Pats go near Von Miller's contract w/ Hightower, and Butler might find his best deal on the open market. I would want to be unrestricted if I were him, so I would stick around in NE for a year at that tender then make crazy money. By that time, the Pats will have drafted a couple CBs. I love Malcolm Butler and hope he stays but understand if he wants to get paid near the top of the market. Nothing new with the Patriots- they will be ruthless if need be. I can't complain with the results.

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2017, 01:13:24 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I hope the Pats can keep Butler. I think Butler and Gilmore would be an even better cb tandem than Revis and Browner a couple years ago. Maybe it's short sighted but I'd rather franchise Butler.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2017, 01:47:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2017, 01:49:47 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
michael lombardi‏Verified account @mlombardiNFL  5m5 minutes ago

FYI....The Pats cannot trade Butler until he has a signed NE contract, right now he has been tendered, not signed.  He is a restricted FA

Might affect a possible Cooks deal.

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2017, 01:55:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/patriots-sign-alan-branch-to-new-two-year-deal/

Alan Branch being re-signed.

Big resigning for the defense.  Played very well last season.

Pun alert!!!

Yeah, the Cooks rumor seems a little out of the norm. I think they should stand pat with Butler for the year, and hope he plays like Deion.

Pun alert!!!

Man, I'm loving you guys today  8)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2017, 01:56:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
michael lombardi‏Verified account @mlombardiNFL  5m5 minutes ago

FYI....The Pats cannot trade Butler until he has a signed NE contract, right now he has been tendered, not signed.  He is a restricted FA

Might affect a possible Cooks deal.

I'd be shocked if the Pats trade Butler for Cooks. I think the Pats wanted to gauge what Butler's value is around the league, and will use that to adjust their contract offer to him accordingly.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2017, 02:19:40 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet  6m6 minutes ago
More

The #Patriots are in good communication with LB Dont’a Hightower about a possible return, I’m told.

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2017, 03:10:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet  6m6 minutes ago
More

The #Patriots are in good communication with LB Dont’a Hightower about a possible return, I’m told.

Please be true! There was a FAKE account that said he signed for 5/77M lol.

I really hope we don't trade Malcolm Butler.

Trading Butler only opens a hole at CB since we add Gilmore BUT lose Ryan+Butler.

Meanwhile Cooks is more of a "luxury" (not a dire need).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2017, 03:40:55 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Good take on why Pats might be pursuing Cooks: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/ryan-hannable/2017/03/08/making-sense-patriots-being-interested-addi

(Note, I still don't think it happens, I think the goal is partnering Butler with Gilmore).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not Pats related but we just saw, essentially, an NFL cap space trade.

Per Schefter

NFL stunner: Texans trade QB Brock Osweiler AND a 2018 second-round pick to Cleveland for the Browns to take Osweiler’s $16M salary of Houston’s books, per league sources. The move clears out millions in salary-cap space for Houston to intensify efforts to sign former Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, per sources. To be exact, Houston saves $16 million in cash and $10 million against their cap this season. The Texans also will get the Browns’ fourth-round pick this year in exchange for their own 6th-round pick. So Cleveland gets Osweiler’s contract, a 2018 second-round pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick, and Houston gets Cleveland’s 2017 fourth-round pick, saves $10 million in salary-cap space and $16 million in cash. Cleveland is not committed to keeping Osweiler and is likely to try to trade him, per sources. If so, it would turn into a basketball-like trade in which NBA teams routinely trade contracts to get them off their books; only it rarely, if ever, happens in the NFL. It’s hard to remember in the salary-cap era another team when a team traded a contract to get it off its books. But Houston was so anxious to rid itself of Osweiler and move on to its next quarterbacking chapter that it is giving Cleveland extra picks to take him and his contract. The Browns headed into this free-agent signing period with over $100 million worth of salary-cap space and would struggle to spend it all. Now they can devote some of it to Osweiler’s contract and acquiring extra draft picks from Houston. But this is one of the most, if not the most, creative trade in NFL history.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
Deleted, Donoghus beat me to it!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2017, 03:43:32 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2017, 03:45:01 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
So, I know i've said I've given up questioning BB...but it will be very interesting to see what logan ryan gets in free agency, as well as seeing if it makes Butler demand more than he otherwise would. Always risky to devote that much money to any non-qb, especially if its a player from an outside system. One thing about ryan is that at least you know that he fits and how he fits on the team.

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2017, 03:45:32 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Good take on why Pats might be pursuing Cooks: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/ryan-hannable/2017/03/08/making-sense-patriots-being-interested-addi

(Note, I still don't think it happens, I think the goal is partnering Butler with Gilmore).

I've read that Cooks is going to be moved today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Butler is traded. The Pats receiver core is long in the tooth.