Author Topic: According to the WSJ only 4 Innocent College Programs Left In Major Conferences  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303936704576400052122863390.html

The bulk of these schools (13) are programs like Air Force, Alabama-Birmingham, Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Florida Atlantic and Kent State that play in second-tier conferences where the pressure, the scrutiny, the level of recruiting and the expectations are smaller.

.There are only four athletic programs from major conferences on the list. They are Boston College, Northwestern, Penn State and Stanford.

CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
BC's far from innocent but if the article wants to make it seem that way, its fine with me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Penn State doesn't resemble innocent.  The amount of players they've had get in trouble with the law only to not have charges filed and have no team punishment other than a few extra laps around the field is in the double digits over the past 5 or so years.  It almost cost JoePa his job two or so years ago.

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Penn State doesn't resemble innocent.  The amount of players they've had get in trouble with the law only to not have charges filed and have no team punishment other than a few extra laps around the field is in the double digits over the past 5 or so years.  It almost cost JoePa his job two or so years ago.
They havent been convicted by the NCAA for any Major violations since 1954 though. Only 4 schools in the major conferences have not been.  Thats worth something i think
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Offline Marcus13

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 119
I dont believe that you can hold schools responsible for each student's personal decisions.

I understand that a lot of schools probably go about things in a way that the NCAA doesn't prefer but I don't think it's THIS bad........  Or maybe Im just being naive

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I dont believe that you can hold schools responsible for each student's personal decisions.

I understand that a lot of schools probably go about things in a way that the NCAA doesn't prefer but I don't think it's THIS bad........  Or maybe Im just being naive
If you go by that standard you can never punish anyone because its almost always a third party with only indirect connections to the school.

Plus the school would have even less incentive to investigate and report things. (if that's possible)

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
They havent been convicted by the NCAA for any Major violations since 1954 though. Only 4 schools in the major conferences have not been.  Thats worth something i think

I'm not taking too much out of it.  

A point shaving scandal in the late 70s/early 80s in basketball and a gambling scandal in the mid-90s may not have ended up with convictions but it also illustrates that its a far from innocent program despite what the report claims or the premise is supposed to be.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team