Author Topic: If it came down to it, should we draft a complete non pf/c or a good pf/c  (Read 5557 times)

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
if trey burke is available, you take him.

Danny will end up drafting a guard, this draft is deep with guards, whereas all the bigs are garbage.

All the bigs are garbage... ::)
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I'd seriously trade up to get Alex Len.

That guy will not make a ton of All Star teams, but he will be one of the sought after bigs in the future.

He has great physical features. A lot of mocks says his frame could put up more beef. He's freakishy long. He's still raw but has enough low post skills to contribute offensively. His defensive instincts is there and with his physical tools, he can be an imposing defender. Plays with intensity. Turns the ball over a lot though but hey, you cant be all good.

I'd give the current first, next years 1st, anyone outside of PP, KG, Rondo to whoever is in the spot to grab him. I sure hope Danny would atleast try to land this kid.

(you heard it here first)
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'd seriously trade up to get Alex Len.

That guy will not make a ton of All Star teams, but he will be one of the sought after bigs in the future.

He has great physical features. A lot of mocks says his frame could put up more beef. He's freakishy long. He's still raw but has enough low post skills to contribute offensively. His defensive instincts is there and with his physical tools, he can be an imposing defender. Plays with intensity. Turns the ball over a lot though but hey, you cant be all good.

I'd give the current first, next years 1st, anyone outside of PP, KG, Rondo to whoever is in the spot to grab him. I sure hope Danny would atleast try to land this kid.

(you heard it here first)
Nah, I love Len. Saw him play in the first game of the year against Kentucky and been following him all year. He will be a very good center for years. But he's probably gone in the top 5 or 6 players.

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
BPA and I'm pretty sure at 16-20 a big isn't going to be the best player available.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Anyone think this is a ok idea?

If we draft from 19-21 which is a realistic draft slot for us. And say at this range if Olynyk (the one big guy with promising skills and seems like Danny has some interest is) is already gone, should we try to manuever a trade to Cleveland for our pick for their 28th + 31st??

Then with these picks you can get a combo of a decent big and non big player.

For example pick one big and one non big

Big

Jeff Withey - Plays in a top conference, length, shot blocking, mature, intensity rises as kansas has gone further in the tourney

Dieng - Athletic , ridiculous 7'5 wingspan, can score, rebound and actually more than decent passer. Has to cut down in turnovers.

Non Big

Doug Mcdermott - Efficient scorer, motor, three pt shooting

Nate Wolters - Considered a possible steal of the draft. Excellent handles, acrobatic finishes, good shooter and high bbiq

Tim Hardaway Jr. - Great size for a guard. Just like dad has excellent feel for the game. Not as skilled but still good inside/outside game

Sergei Karasev - Don't know much about him except some have labelled him as the next SF version of Ginobelli.

Allen Crabbe - Excellent ball handling, scoring. Plays well in big games

Giannis Adetokunbo - super young , but 6'9 athletic and talented sf from Greece. Could be a steal down the road

Cory Jefferson - 6'9 pf. Vertical leap is ridiculous. Monster slams. Can shoot the three. Has some Shawn Kemp in his game

Ryan Kelly - next Ryan Anderson? Decent all around game, plus three pt shooting. But not agressive enough. At times just watches instead of taking over

Kabongo

Canaan

I would be happy with either Withey or Dieng plus anyone of these other players on the list.  I think a trade with Cleveland is definitely possible. Especially if they don't draft with their 1st pick to take care of positional needs. For example if they want Macadoo, Glen Robinson 3 , Saric or Tony Mitchell

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

If we draft from 19-21 which is a realistic draft slot for us. And say at this range if Olynyk (the one big guy with promising skills and seems like Danny has some interest is) is already gone, should we try to manuever a trade to Cleveland for our pick for their 28th + 31st??

Big

Jeff Withey - Plays in a top conference, length, shot blocking, mature, intensity rises as kansas has gone further in the tourney

Dieng - Athletic , ridiculous 7'5 wingspan, can score, rebound and actually more than decent passer. Has to cut down in turnovers.

Non Big

Nate Wolters - Considered a possible steal of the draft. Excellent handles, acrobatic finishes, good shooter and high bbiq

Tim Hardaway Jr. - Great size for a guard. Just like dad has excellent feel for the game. Not as skilled but still good inside/outside game

Sergei Karasev - Don't know much about him except some have labelled him as the next SF version of Ginobelli.

Giannis Adetokunbo - super young , but 6'9 athletic and talented sf from Greece. Could be a steal down the road

Cory Jefferson - 6'9 pf. Vertical leap is ridiculous. Monster slams. Can shoot the three. Has some Shawn Kemp in his game

Ryan Kelly - next Ryan Anderson? Decent all around game, plus three pt shooting. But not agressive enough. At times just watches instead of taking over

Kabongo

Canaan

I would be happy with either Withey or Dieng plus anyone of these other players on the list.  I think a trade with Cleveland is definitely possible. Especially if they don't draft with their 1st pick to take care of positional needs. For example if they want Macadoo, Glen Robinson 3 , Saric or Tony Mitchell
we already have a bunch of players under contract for next year and no one picked in next year's draft will crack the rotation.  adding 2 guys ins't really worth it.  I'd rather move the pick and some combo of Bass/JET/Crawford/Lee for a good PF/C to play behind KG and Sully next year.  If that's not an option, perhaps move the pick for another pick in the following draft which is projected to be much deeper with better talent.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I forgot to add Lebryan Nash. Who is considered Lebron James weakman version. Has a little a bit of an attitude issue and Jump shot is not consistent. Than again Lebrons shooting when he came in the league was not that great.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Big

Non Big

Kabongo

Canaan

we already have a bunch of players under contract for next year and no one picked in next year's draft will crack the rotation.  adding 2 guys ins't really worth it.  I'd rather move the pick and some combo of Bass/JET/Crawford/Lee for a good PF/C to play behind KG and Sully next year.  If that's not an option, perhaps move the pick for another pick in the following draft which is projected to be much deeper with better talent.

Kg might retire, Pierce then might get traded or bought out. Terry than might be traded. Plus T will , DJ White, Randolph are gone. Who knows about Fab melo and lastly the condition of Rondo.

We are going to need to fill at least two roster spots. Why not through the draft??

Again if Olynyk is gone and if you can get Withey or Dieng with the late Cavs pick, might as well make the trade and get another potential good player with the 31st

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Big

Non Big

Kabongo

Canaan

Kg might retire, Pierce then might get traded or bought out. Terry than might be traded. Plus T will , DJ White, Randolph are gone. Who knows about Fab melo and lastly the condition of Rondo.

We are going to need to fill at least two roster spots. Why not through the draft??

Again if Olynyk is gone and if you can get Withey or Dieng with the late Cavs pick, might as well make the trade and get another potential good player with the 31st
I seriously doubt KG or PP retires after this year.  I seriously see them taking at least 1 more shot at it with Rondo and Sully back especially since it looks like the team has learned to play together.

going into next year, here's who's under contract:
Rondo, AB, Lee, JET, Crawford, PP, KG, Sully, Melo, Bass, Green.

That's 11 without counting TWill who's under contract also (but a team option that I'd be surprised if it's picked up).
Wilcox is a prime candidate to be resigned. 
Barbosa has been suggested as a candidate to return but I would be surprised since we already have 5 guards under contract.

Figure 12 guys coming back (barring trades) by adding Wilcox to the list of signed players.  Looking at those 12 players, Melo should be back in D league next year.  I can't see Danny not adding at least 2 vet big men to go with KG/Sully/Bass/Wilcox. 

Nothing unreasonable in what I've projected so far.

Now we're down to 1 spot left.  The likelihood a rookie in this draft cracks that rotation is very remote.  I could seriously see that pick being moved so that Danny can add a 3rd string SF behind Green as an emergency player.  I could also see that pick being used in a package with 1 or more signed players to get a good pf/c to backup KG/Sully.

with this in mind, do you really think Danny's going to swap the pick for multiple players in a weak draft?  I just don't see it.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Plumlee would be interesting in the late teens.

He could be a solid backup center next season and a solid long term role player for the team.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Wasn't Ryan Anderson a 20 and 10 player in college?

Ryan Kelly's stats don't exactly scream out NBA player. Only 14.5ppg and 5.5rpg in 28.5mpg as a college senior. Not so impressive. Those rebounding numbers are quite poor.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wasn't Ryan Anderson a 20 and 10 player in college?

Ryan Kelly's stats don't exactly scream out NBA player. Only 14.5ppg and 5.5rpg in 28.5mpg as a college senior. Not so impressive. Those rebounding numbers are quite poor.
Yup he had 16 & 9 as a freshman and 20 & 10 as a sophmore at Cal in around 32 MPG.