Author Topic: Celtics (15-15) at Mavericks (20-12) 2/20  (Read 60139 times)

Re: Celtics (15-15) at Mavericks (20-12) 2/20
« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I'm legitimately freaked out about having Doc coach rebuilding teams for the next 3-4 years.  I can't imagine how this guy is going to be good for young players.
UMMMMMMMM......you did watch this team from 2004-2007? Right?

Rondo, West, Perkins, Jefferson, Powe, Gomes, Greene, Reed, and a bunch of other one year wonder young guys he got stuff out of and then disappeared from the NBA and did nothing ever again.

Doc can develop talent

But when in "Win Now When We Can't Ever Practice During The Season" mode you coach differently than "I Don't Care What The Result Is But develop The Young Guys" mode.

I guess the worry then is that Doc hasn't shown an ability to both be in "win-now" mode and also find ways to develop and incorporate young players.  It's really important to be able to do that, unless you're totally tanking OR your team is just completely stacked with lots of veteran talent (this team hasn't been since '08).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #271 on: February 20, 2012, 10:55:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm legitimately freaked out about having Doc coach rebuilding teams for the next 3-4 years.  I can't imagine how this guy is going to be good for young players.

Rondo, West, Perkins, Jefferson, Powe, Gomes, Greene, Reed, and a bunch of other one year wonder young guys he got stuff out of and then disappeared from the NBA and did nothing ever again.

Doc can develop talent

But when in "Win Now When We Can't Ever Practice During The Season" mode you coach differently than "I Don't Care What The Result Is But develop The Young Guys" mode.

I guess the worry then is that Doc hasn't shown an ability to both be in "win-now" mode and also find ways to develop and incorporate young players.  It's really important to be able to do that, unless you're totally tanking OR your team is just completely stacked with lots of veteran talent (this team hasn't been since '08).
I guess what he did with Powe, Rondo, Baby and Perkins while the C's were contending doesn't count then?

« Reply #272 on: February 20, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I've seen enough this team might not even make the playoffs.

Pietrus, Bradley, and Ray were the only ones playing with any heart and balls out there. Danny is blowing this thing up one way or another.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #273 on: February 20, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'm legitimately freaked out about having Doc coach rebuilding teams for the next 3-4 years.  I can't imagine how this guy is going to be good for young players.

Doc can develop talent

I guess the worry then is that Doc hasn't shown an ability to both be in "win-now" mode and also find ways to develop and incorporate young players.  It's really important to be able to do that, unless you're totally tanking OR your team is just completely stacked with lots of veteran talent (this team hasn't been since '08).
I guess what he did with Powe, Rondo, Baby and Perkins while the C's were contending doesn't count then?

Though I agree with your general point, to be honest, Perk was here for quite a few of those suck years and wasn't considered to be very good until KG got here, Rondo was essentially the only PG on the roster, and BBD was the only real option with size when he broke into the rotation.  Powe's situation I don't exactly remember, but he was a garbage time guy for a while, too.

« Reply #274 on: February 20, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Doc can develop talent

Rondo, Powe, and Perk don't count, because they were already on the team and had been for a significant amount of time.  Baby counts, but mainly as the exception to the rule.  He's the one young player acquired during the Big 3 era that Doc actually turned into a regular contributor for multiple seasons.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #275 on: February 20, 2012, 11:07:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Doc can develop talent

Rondo, Powe, and Perk don't count, because they were already on the team and had been for a significant amount of time.  Baby counts, but mainly as the exception to the rule.  He's the one young player acquired during the Big 3 era that Doc actually turned into a regular contributor for multiple seasons.
Exactly how is that since Powe and Rondo played every minute of the start of their careers under Doc and Perk only played one year under any coach but Doc before going to OKC and in that year he spent virtually the entire year on the treadmill and in the gym running and working out getting in NBA shape?

« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

Doc can develop talent

Exactly how is that since Powe and Rondo played every minute of the start of their careers under Doc and Perk only played one year under any coach but Doc before going to OKC and in that year he spent virtually the entire year on the treadmill and in the gym running and working out getting in NBA shape?

Nothing about that post made coherent sense to me.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #277 on: February 20, 2012, 11:12:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Doc can develop talent

that was a million years ago. Since then men have learned to walk upright and use fire

« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2012, 11:19:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Doc can develop talent

Of course not because it was logical.

You claim Doc has two different modes, which I pointed out earlier, and that he is either in one or the other and that he can't do both at the same time. In other words, he can't try to win now and develop talent at the same time.

Except Rondo, Baby, Powe and Perk prove that theory wrong. When you said:

Rondo, Powe, and Perk don't count, because they were already on the team and had been for a significant amount of time. 
[/quote]Those players were developed under Doc while, the Celtics simultaneously trying to win titles. How do you explain that?

« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2012, 11:20:20 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

Doc can develop talent

You claim Doc has two different modes, which I pointed out earlier, and that he is either in one or the other and that he can't do both at the same time. In other words, he can't try to win now and develop talent at the same time.

Except Rondo, Baby, Powe and Perk prove that theory wrong. When you said:

Rondo, Powe, and Perk don't count, because they were already on the team and had been for a significant amount of time. 
Those players were developed under Doc while, the Celtics simultaneously trying to win titles. How do you explain that?
[/quote]

Hi, Nick.

Check out my post above.  If memory serves, Doc didn't have a lot of choices about who to play in those particular cases.

« Reply #280 on: February 20, 2012, 11:23:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Hey look! Somehow Doc teleported Star Trek style to LA is coaching for Portland! He's only losing 37-9! He's using his "were gonna" players.

We're a great Were Gonna team now.

Danny was gonna get Jeremy Lin

Doc was gonna let him play

JON was gonna stay healthy

Rondo was gonna start hitting free throws

And I was gonna spend money to buy tickets to watch them play

« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Check out my post above.  If memory serves, Doc didn't have a lot of choices about who to play in those particular cases.
In Perk's fist years, Doc had other options and took them(LaFrentz, Blount) because Perk was fat, out of NBA shape and had planter fasciitis. In Rondo's first year he had West and Telfair and Rondo outplayed them. In Powe's first and second year he had PJ Brown, Baby, and Jefferson to play.

There was always other options but with practice and time to evaluate, Doc succeeded. This is a very different year.

« Reply #282 on: February 20, 2012, 11:35:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Check out my post above.  If memory serves, Doc didn't have a lot of choices about who to play in those particular cases.
In Perk's fist years, Doc had other options and took them(LaFrentz, Blount) because Perk was fat, out of NBA shape and had planter fasciitis. In Rondo's first year he had West and Telfair and Rondo outplayed them. In Powe's first and second year he had PJ Brown, Baby, and Jefferson to play.

There was always other options but with practice and time to evaluate, Doc succeeded. This is a very different year.

Right. This is 2012 when Doc cares more about Duke than the Celtics. 

« Reply #283 on: February 20, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »

Offline bostonpatriot

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 6
Who were the rookies that Doc didn't play and then went to prove they deserved playing time once they moved to another coach?

Doc's record is pretty obvious: if a rookie has talent, Doc will eventually find playing time for him. If he lacks talent or isn't ready, he won't play.

What's the problem with this? Seems perfect to me.

« Reply #284 on: February 20, 2012, 11:44:30 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Quote from: posimpos

No, I meant it was really poorly worded and it literally made no sense to me.

- Doc Rivers