Author Topic: NBA Playoffs 2019-2020  (Read 177270 times)

Re: NBA Playoffs 2019-2020
« Reply #2310 on: October 12, 2020, 02:06:30 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Whatever. It's tied at 17. That won't matter as long as we're the first ones to #18 soon (please...)  8)

Really hope Ainge actually gets to work and builds a bench. And if we're going to rely on the Rockets' system of living and dying by the 3, actually go get the personal to do that, because having guys like Ojeyele coming off the bench bricking 3s isn't going to cut it. Smart's a streaky shooter but again, that's not a winning formula having him shoot a bunch of 3s. Get some sharpshooters similar to how PHI got guys like Reddick, Belinelli, etc. a few years ago. Make moves.

I don't want them to replicate the Rockets' system. I want a traditional system where there's legit PG/SG/SF/PF/C, or at least, have some PF/C or bigs who can display and make positive impactful interior presence.

Secondly, get a bench. We need scorers off the bench! If they wanna keep Ojeleye or Porier, then give me the corpse of IT4 instead he convinces me that he can still do it. But we also need a reliable bench. Goodbye Theis, goodbye Kanter. We need a Leon Powe, James Posey, Eddie House, Mickael Pietrus type players off the bench.

It's not even that complicated. Ainge just needs to get a big 3 like he did in 2008. James got AD and LA won with a bench that is not that great. Rondo, Kuzma, Caruso. lol
They don't even need another star. They just need another instigator like Smart and role players who will step up in the post season, ala Rondo.

« Reply #2311 on: October 12, 2020, 02:42:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Whatever. It's tied at 17. That won't matter as long as we're the first ones to #18 soon (please...)  8)

Really hope Ainge actually gets to work and builds a bench. And if we're going to rely on the Rockets' system of living and dying by the 3, actually go get the personal to do that, because having guys like Ojeyele coming off the bench bricking 3s isn't going to cut it. Smart's a streaky shooter but again, that's not a winning formula having him shoot a bunch of 3s. Get some sharpshooters similar to how PHI got guys like Reddick, Belinelli, etc. a few years ago. Make moves.

I don't want them to replicate the Rockets' system. I want a traditional system where there's legit PG/SG/SF/PF/C, or at least, have some PF/C or bigs who can display and make positive impactful interior presence.

Secondly, get a bench. We need scorers off the bench! If they wanna keep Ojeleye or Porier, then give me the corpse of IT4 instead he convinces me that he can still do it. But we also need a reliable bench. Goodbye Theis, goodbye Kanter. We need a Leon Powe, James Posey, Eddie House, Mickael Pietrus type players off the bench.

Well too late, they already are replicating it. That’s usually how they’ve gotten eliminated the last few years as well. Living by and then dying slowly by the 3. And while we certainly pride ourselves on ball movement, often times late in games we resort to iso-ball and it stifles our scoring.

My point is if you want to shoot 40+ 3s a night, then go get some sharpshooters too. You can talk about guys like Reddick, Korver, etc. as being defensive liabilities but either way often times it seems we lose by not scoring enough.

Defense is great but does it matter if you can’t score much?

I agree, I’d love to see them go to a more traditional system and for them to actually acquire a legit big man. Idk if they will though. But they should!
The bolded really hits home when we realise that even super top-heavy teams spam off-ball movement while we spend 90% of our offensive possessions in crunch time watching Tatum throw up a contested jumpshot after putting the ball through his legs 10 times (Walker was terrible as well in this regard, but I'll give him a pass as he did really well earlier on in the RS before his knee injury).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2312 on: October 12, 2020, 06:02:02 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Congrats to Avery Bradley on his first championship

« Reply #2313 on: October 12, 2020, 09:04:56 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Bam Adebayo had a very nice statline 25/10/5/2, but the Lakers really showed his weaknesses.

When Adebayo had the ball at the top of the key Davis would just stay under the basket daring him to shoot from the midrange, which he's definitely uncomfortable with. Because Davis was in the paint, there was no room for cutters such that the Lakers' guards could fully focus their attention on taking away open 3-point-shots.

Also Adebayo showed no willingness to post up Davis. And when Adebayo played pick-and-roll as the roll man, Davis was always ready to intercept that pass/alley-oop, because Adebayo isn't a huge leaper.

Same goes on defense. Adebayo is probably the best switching big man in the NBA, but he's not a great rim protector. During these playoffs Adebayo averaged less than 1 block per 36 minutes, that's less than Theis, R.Williams, G.Williams and Tatum or even his own teammate Olynyk. And Davis got 3.3 offensive rebounds per game, often outjumping Adebayo.

« Reply #2314 on: October 12, 2020, 09:12:15 AM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I just congratulate the Lakers. They deserved the title. No team played as well as them.
Great defensive system and two superstars who plateaued the way for the role players to play to the best of their abilities.

The Lakers weren't just gifted this title they took a risk by trading Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart + 3 first rounders (where one was last year's 4th pick) for a player with serious injury history.

« Reply #2315 on: October 12, 2020, 09:38:01 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Bam Adebayo had a very nice statline 25/10/5/2, but the Lakers really showed his weaknesses.

When Adebayo had the ball at the top of the key Davis would just stay under the basket daring him to shoot from the midrange, which he's definitely uncomfortable with. Because Davis was in the paint, there was no room for cutters such that the Lakers' guards could fully focus their attention on taking away open 3-point-shots.

Also Adebayo showed no willingness to post up Davis. And when Adebayo played pick-and-roll as the roll man, Davis was always ready to intercept that pass/alley-oop, because Adebayo isn't a huge leaper.

Same goes on defense. Adebayo is probably the best switching big man in the NBA, but he's not a great rim protector. During these playoffs Adebayo averaged less than 1 block per 36 minutes, that's less than Theis, R.Williams, G.Williams and Tatum or even his own teammate Olynyk. And Davis got 3.3 offensive rebounds per game, often outjumping Adebayo.
Funny thing Bam was really comfortable shooting the midrange against us.
Anyway I think Riley will trade Bam for Giannis. I just have the feeling they would rather have one extra season of giannis plus keeping their role players vs Bam at 25% of the salary cap.

« Reply #2316 on: October 12, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Congrats to the Los Angeles Lakers for their 12th title, just over 2/3 the amount we have! Congrats to Rondo for being the first player to win a title for both franchises. Joins Clyde Lovelette as the only person to win rings as a Laker and as a Celtic

Haha! Love it. TP
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2317 on: October 12, 2020, 11:31:28 AM »

• Satch Sanders

So you're saying that having a legit big was key for the Lakers.

You paying attention, Danny?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2318 on: October 12, 2020, 11:35:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

If only bigs like Anthony Davis grew on trees ::), you're talking about a top 3 defender in the league this season. I would love to get Gobert or Giannis though :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2319 on: October 12, 2020, 12:04:21 PM »

• Satch Sanders

If only bigs like Anthony Davis grew on trees ::), you're talking about a top 3 defender in the league this season. I would love to get Gobert or Giannis though :laugh:

Yeah, I know, players of Davis's caliber are rare, but I was speaking more generally about having an actual big—you know, someone taller than 6-8, or strong enough to not get pushed around down low. Not these undersized "bigs" Danny's in love with.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2320 on: October 12, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Well too late, they already are replicating it. That’s usually how they’ve gotten eliminated the last few years as well. Living by and then dying slowly by the 3. And while we certainly pride ourselves on ball movement, often times late in games we resort to iso-ball and it stifles our scoring.

My point is if you want to shoot 40+ 3s a night, then go get some sharpshooters too. You can talk about guys like Reddick, Korver, etc. as being defensive liabilities but either way often times it seems we lose by not scoring enough.

Defense is great but does it matter if you can’t score much?

I agree, I’d love to see them go to a more traditional system and for them to actually acquire a legit big man. Idk if they will though. But they should!
The bolded really hits home when we realise that even super top-heavy teams spam off-ball movement while we spend 90% of our offensive possessions in crunch time watching Tatum throw up a contested jumpshot after putting the ball through his legs 10 times (Walker was terrible as well in this regard, but I'll give him a pass as he did really well earlier on in the RS before his knee injury).

Yep.

And if we're being honest, the other issue I see is this team lacks the mental toughness. When things go awry, they fold. Guys like Smart and Brown do their best but the rest of the team, not really. Although I was fine with Marcus Morris leaving after the 2019 season, I thought his toughness was something we liked to see in 2017 and 2018, and we could have used it in the Heat series.

Think about it, even with them losing Dragic and Bam for a good chunk of the series (or not being 100% clearly), the Heat battled and took the Lakers to 6 games. They jawed with them a bit and didn't back down when they easily could have. Do you think the Celtics could have done that? I don't.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2321 on: October 12, 2020, 12:10:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Congrats to LeBron and Klutch.

They took over a franchise and extorted another to get two top 5 players on the same roster.

All shade aside, the Lakers' supporting cast was impressive to me during this bubble playoff run.  I didn't think that you could win a title, even in a pared-down field of rivals (thanks to MIL and LAC imploding), when your third best player is either post-prime Rajon Rondo or Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. 

The Lakers managed it not only because LeBron and AD were awesome, but because they had some supporting guys who played up to competition instead of dragging the team down in big moments.  They played defense, hit shots, and never shrunk from the moment.  Respect to them.

Man I sure hope the Warriors or the Clippers kick the Lakers' butts next year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain