Author Topic: 2nd ACL injury  (Read 18826 times)

2nd ACL injury
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:12:19 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
While playing a pick-up game at my friends college rec center I tore my ACL... again. Just looking for some advice/suggestions from anyone else who might have gone through this situation as well. I've got a new surgeon this time and will be having surgery at Cleveland Clinic. My new surgeon seems to think that this was inevitable because my old surgeon did a "hack job". Hope to get back on my feet soon, any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

Re: 2nd ACL injury
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Ugh.  Tough luck, man.  I hope you're back on your feet soon.

(Sorry, no real advice / information.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 12:15:14 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK
Ugh.  Tough luck, man.  I hope you're back on your feet soon.

(Sorry, no real advice / information.)

Thanks for the well wishes, Roy!

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:16:09 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't have any advice but I certainly wish you the best in surgery and a speedy recovery.  

Take your time coming back, though.  Don't rush back.  You see athletes so anxious to come back sometimes and it actually makes things worse.  Just be patient, I guess.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Maybe it's time to take up golf?

Seriously, I'm wishing you well and hope this surgeon knows what he's doing. Cleveland Clinic is one of the best hospitals in the USA though so you'll be in good hands, hopefully.

Have a quick recovery and start thinking about saving some money for some clubs. ;) ;D

All the best to you.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 12:18:54 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK
I don't have any advice but I certainly wish you the best in surgery and a speedy recovery.  

Take your time coming back, though.  Don't rush back.  You see athletes so anxious to come back sometimes and it actually makes things worse.  Just be patient, I guess.

Thanks man. Yeah, it's going to be rough doing this a second time, longer recovery time from what I understand. I was just starting to get back into game shape after going through setback after setback. What do you do though I guess.

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 12:19:01 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Look at TA. He is good as NEW.

Safe Surgery :)

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 12:20:42 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK

Seriously, I'm wishing you well and hope this surgeon knows what he's doing. Cleveland Clinic is one of the best hospitals in the USA though so you'll be in good hands, hopefully.

Have a quick recovery and start thinking about saving some money for some clubs. ;) ;D

All the best to you.

Lol. It's pretty funny that you mentioned golf. I used to play before my first surgery but ever since the swinging motion just felt so un-natural. Hey, maybe this will fix that.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Sorry to hear that....I hope you recover soon.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 12:27:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

All the best to you.

Lol. It's pretty funny that you mentioned golf. I used to play before my first surgery but ever since the swinging motion just felt so un-natural. Hey, maybe this will fix that.
Funny you mention that.

I used to have the absolute worse slice that I couldn't get rid of and had to try to adapt my game to.

Then I had an industrial accident and nearly cut off my right index finger.

Lucky for me the surgery allowed me to keep the finger but I can't bend it at the last finger joint.

So two years after recovering from the surgery I pick up the clubs again and the slice was gone and it never returned.

I asked a pro at a local course and he told me it was because I was gripping the club to hard with my right hand and the finger that can no longer wrap around the club lessen the grip on the right hand just enough to straighten my swing out.

He said it's his best guess since he never saw me swing before the injury.

So.....moral of the story, sometimes these injuries can be good things and besides,

CHICKS DIG SCARS!!!

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 12:38:35 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK

All the best to you.

Funny you mention that.

I used to have the absolute worse slice that I couldn't get rid of and had to try to adapt my game to.

Then I had an industrial accident and nearly cut off my right index finger.

Lucky for me the surgery allowed me to keep the finger but I can't bend it at the last finger joint.

So two years after recovering from the surgery I pick up the clubs again and the slice was gone and it never returned.

I asked a pro at a local course and he told me it was because I was gripping the club to hard with my right hand and the finger that can no longer wrap around the club lessen the grip on the right hand just enough to straighten my swing out.

He said it's his best guess since he never saw me swing before the injury.

So.....moral of the story, sometimes these injuries can be good things and besides,

CHICKS DIG SCARS!!!

Haha, that's pretty funny, though not about nearly losing your finger.

They do, I've had so many ask me about the scars on my knee. Motorcycle accident ;)

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 01:05:45 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Welcome to the club, OCF! =) Our exclusive clubs includes such members as; Greg Oden, Tony Allen, Leon Powe and of course LT.

No, but really.. Once the doctors say it's alright, head straight to the pool and get some water aerobics or whatever going on. If there's ever a good time to tear a ligament, you did it with summer right around the corner.

With enough conditioning, you might be able to get a decent amount of athletic ability back, maybe not 100 percent, but still an ok amount, I suppose.

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 01:12:42 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Hey man I have a knee injury as well. Tore my meniscus last year and haven't gotten surgery on it yet. I get a lot of fluid in my knee but still play ball every chance I can get. But hey best of luck to you and and have a safe surgery!

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK
Welcome to the club, OCF! =) Our exclusive clubs includes such members as; Greg Oden, Tony Allen, Leon Powe and of course LT.

No, but really.. Once the doctors say it's alright, head straight to the pool and get some water aerobics or whatever going on. If there's ever a good time to tear a ligament, you did it with summer right around the corner.

With enough conditioning, you might be able to get a decent amount of athletic ability back, maybe not 100 percent, but still an ok amount, I suppose.

Oden, Allen, Powe, LT and I are going to get together and bring pro ball back to Cincy. The Cincinnati Cripples, we strike fear into all... with our crutches.

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 01:33:39 AM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • GM - NYK
Hey man I have a knee injury as well. Tore my meniscus last year and haven't gotten surgery on it yet. I get a lot of fluid in my knee but still play ball every chance I can get. But hey best of luck to you and and have a safe surgery!

Best of luck to you as well with your meniscus issue. Thanks for the well wishes!