Author Topic: Can KG Handle C?  (Read 2025 times)

Can KG Handle C?
« on: February 14, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
What has spawned this topic is the fact that we will not be able to pry out any talent unless we give up Perkins. Perkins is our only real asset.

Could KG handle playing Center? I know it seems impossible because of how skinny he is, but there have been other beanpoles throughout history that have been effective at guarding centers. It is probably not the best gauge, but he did put the clamps on Yao a few years back, even though he is not at the same athleticism. He definitely has the intelligence and the length. Would you worry about the strength of Dwight and Co? I've seen him lock down Dwight on individual possessions, but to do it for a whole game would be taxing on his already declining body. But wouldn't you think getting burned by quickness is worse at this point?

A lot of the teams in the league are going to these Josh Smith/Rashard Lewis type of quick 4's that KG is having a lot of trouble staying with off of the dribble. 

This could be the way that he has to finish out his career. Don't flame me too hard.  ;D

Re: Can KG Handle C?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 02:17:18 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
I guess this assumes we trade for Amare, correct? Cause assuming KG is at the 5 if Perk is traded, someone has to play the 4, and something tells me you wouldn't like Rasheed as the answer, or even BBD.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 02:24:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
KG can not play the 5 for any amount of time.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think this idea is really flawed on numberous sides. I dislike it so much I'm going to make a bullet point about it.

1) Honestly at this point in their respective careers I'd rather trade KG than Perk. Perkins is still getting better, KG is getting visibly worse each year.

2) Perkins is one of the only manageable contracts we still have. Why do we trade him?

3) KG, at this point in his life, CANNOT play the 5. If we draw Orlando or Cleveland somehow in the playoffs, without a solid Perkins in the lane (and considerable improvement otherwise), it's a death sentence.

4) Ray Allen's expiring contract is very valuable. I don't know if part of the problem is management dragging their feet or Danny waiting on the right deal, but if we're going to get a deal done, Ray Allen is our best chance. He's the 8th best paid player in the NBA right now, do you know how much back contract we could relieve teams of with that? We could take on Luol Deng AND Kirk Hinrich's outrageous contracts. We could take on David Lee, Wilson Chandler, Darko Milicic, AND Jared Jefferies. He is a huge chip that we're simply not using yet, because the right offer isn't there.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 02:33:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
What has spawned this topic is the fact that we will not be able to pry out any talent unless we give up Perkins. Perkins is our only real asset.
I don't understand how you came to this conclusion. Please explain.

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
KG can not play the 5 for any amount of time.

He certainly can, for about five minutes in a game.

But its not a regular line up you want to feature regularly. It is a situational maneuver.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 02:35:47 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

I think the poster means that he's our only asset that he's willing to part with.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 02:36:28 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
You really don't want KG out there at C at all for extended minutes.

Possibly against certain small lineups and for exploitative purposes. Even so, you'd only want it for limited minutes.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Yes, Kevin Garnett can play the five and he can do so at an extremely high level.

I would prefer though that he only splits his time at PF and C rather than having all his minutes at center. Garnett benefits from playing alongside someone with brute strength, a more physical interior defender. Plus it gives the Celtics a lot more flexibility defensively. I would like to see the Celtics retain that option.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 02:38:21 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

I think the poster means that he's our only asset that he's willing to part with.
Let's assume ... The Celtics aren't able to get back enough talent for Ray Allen's expiring contract by itself.

Then, Danny includes Perkins in the trade package. What options does that create? Who suddenly decides to trade their star player then?

I don't understand.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 02:39:56 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
If he were healthy then yes, at least very well against most. But, right now, KG can't handle a broom!

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 02:42:44 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
In today's NBA, he could against most teams. You'd need a bigger body to play against 3-4 players in the entire NBA.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
You really don't want KG out there at C at all for extended minutes.

Possibly against certain small lineups and for exploitative purposes. Even so, you'd only want it for limited minutes.  

But why? Is his body not able to handle it? Abdul Jabbar played the 5 for 20 years at the same weight. The Chief played the 5 for many years at the same weight. You can make an argument that he will decline even more if he stays at the 4. There's a lot more cutting/lateral movement required at the 4.

And it's becoming abundantly clear that Allen alone is not going to return a younger player that will keep us at the same level of play so I guess this thread is 100% reactionary to a possible Allen/perk for Amare/JRich swap.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 03:38:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think KG would have a difficult time against Shaq and Dwight playing Center...I'd leave that to Sheed if Perk got traded.

I wouldn't want even a healthy KG playing against those two for an extended amount of time.

Poster jdpapa makes an interesting discussion, though, about KG's lateral movement. This is something I've seen this season from KG, but I still wouldn't want him guarding Shaq or Dwight (or even Al Horford) in a Seven Game series.