Author Topic: Does Washington Dallas trade make Jose Juan Barea available?  (Read 4351 times)

Does Washington Dallas trade make Jose Juan Barea available?
« on: February 13, 2010, 08:24:45 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
I just read about that big Dallas/Washington trade and could help but think one of the things Dallas was trying to accomplish was to get away from having to rely on little guys like Jason Terry and Jose Juan Barea from playing the shooting guard position all the time

The Mavs are convinced Rodrique Beaubois is an All-Star caliber talent and will be giving him minutes at the backup PG slot

So does that leave Barea out in nowheres land and available for the right price

Here's a look at how I see the Mavericks depth chart

Kidd/Beaubois/Barea
Butler/Terry/Stephenson/Barea
Marion/Butler
Nowitski/Marion/Thomas/Najera
Haywood/Dampier

Could the Mavs be persuaded to part Barea for say Bill Walker and a Sheldon Williams to fill a need for them at the SF slot and to give the Celtics the true PG that they need
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 08:45:32 PM by PLamb »
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

Re: Does Washington Dallas trade make Jose Juan Barea available?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 08:41:57 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I just read about that big Dallas/Washington trade and could help but think one of the things Dallas was trying to accomplish was to get away from having to rely on little guys like Jason Terry and Jose Juan Barea from playing the shooting guard position all the time

The Mavs are convinced Rodrique Beaubois is an All-Star caliber talent and will be giving him minutes at the backup PG slot

Kidd/Beaubois/Barea
Marion/Butler
Haywood/Dampier

Could the Mavs be persuaded to part Barea for say Bill Walker and a future second round pick to fill a need at for them at the SF slot and to give the Celtics the true PG that they need

Barea for Walker and Giddens works (http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5457027) but don't know if Mavs do this.

I like it because it pushes House farther into the background where he belongs this year or makes him expendable for trade fodder since neither he and Barea nor he and RR are great pairings, defensively, due to height deficiencies. I'm tired of us trying to accommodate and constantly plan around House in the second unit, since he can't handle the ball and is vertically challenged. He's just not worth it.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Kidd/Beaubois/Barea
Marion/Butler
Haywood/Dampier

Could the Mavs be persuaded to part Barea for say Bill Walker and a future second round pick to fill a need at for them at the SF slot and to give the Celtics the true PG that they need

Barea for Walker and Giddens works (http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=5457027) but don't know if Mavs do this.

I like it because it pushes House farther into the background where he belongs this year or makes him expendable for trade fodder since neither he and Barea nor he and RR are great pairings, defensively, due to height deficiencies. I'm tired of us trying to accommodate and constantly plan around House in the second unit, since he can't handle the ball and is vertically challenged. He's just not worth it.

AMEN!

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:03:23 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
I agree about making House a $2.8 million contract to move

Besides, at this point, whatever Eddie is giving this team Barea does much better

Barea can handle the rock, drive the lane and shoot and score off the dribble

None of these things can Eddie do with any proficiency

And now Barea is hitting the three at a 37.4% rate which is exactly what Eddie is doing at the three this year

Barea would be a great fit into that second unit
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 09:24:02 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
And Barea is a Northeastern Univ alum... BRING HIM HOME!

gotta plug my school - we suck at sports so just let me have it, lol.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:33:31 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
You got to bekidding me about walker filling  SF need. He can't play. And Sheldon is just a guy. So I'm thinking we don't have anything to offer Dallas.

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 10:50:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
You got to bekidding me about walker filling  SF need. He can't play. And Sheldon is just a guy. So I'm thinking we don't have anything to offer Dallas.

Walker can't play... how do you know? Have you been at practice? Or do you just assume because he can't crack the rotation of a championship team, filled with HOF'ers, with a coach who is very well known for not trusting young players... that he just sucks. But JJ Barea's the man...

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 10:54:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I don't see how the trade makes JJ Barea gets available from this.

Cuban doesn't want to trade Beaubois because of the future...but right now, especially when you have to think Cuban believes the Mavs could take the Lakers...why trade away a veteran leader and contributor like Barea?

I doubt they let him go next season either. They have a team option for 1.5 million. Doesn't make any sense for the Mavs.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Walker can't play... how do you know? Have you been at practice? Or do you just assume because he can't crack the rotation of a championship team, filled with HOF'ers, with a coach who is very well known for not trusting young players... that he just sucks. But JJ Barea's the man...
Yes, the fact talhat he can't crq k the rotation on a team that needs a small forward, through injuries makes me think he can't play. Bit let me ask you something. What in the world makes you think he CAN play? And why on the world would Dallas trade a player that is a proven contributor for our garbage. Basically, this is a ridiculous proposal that knowledeable people would laugh at.

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 12:18:51 AM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Kidd/Beaubois/Barea
Marion/Butler
Haywood/Dampier

Could the Mavs be persuaded to part Barea for say Bill Walker and a Sheldon Williams to fill a need for them at the SF slot and to give the Celtics the true PG that they need

Unless we add some quality finishers to our bench, the utility of a back-up true PG is limited.  Other than TA, our bench is shooting around 40% from the field.  Before we worry about getting them a PG to get them more looks, we need better scorers to start taking those looks.  And Barea's really no better than House in this regard.  House is having a terrible year and his eFG% is still on par with Barea's.

I'd rather just play Daniels at the PG and focus all our trade assets on acquiring more playoff-rotation-suitable players than Eddie, TA and Baby.  You're practically guaranteed to get a match-up he can exploit in the post and he's better defensively than either House or Barea.   
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney

Kidd/Beaubois/Barea
Marion/Butler
Haywood/Dampier

Unless we add some quality finishers to our bench, the utility of a back-up true PG is limited.  Other than TA, our bench is shooting around 40% from the field.  Before we worry about getting them a PG to get them more looks, we need better scorers to start taking those looks.  And Barea's really no better than House in this regard.  House is having a terrible year and his eFG% is still on par with Barea's.

I'd rather just play Daniels at the PG and focus all our trade assets on acquiring more playoff-rotation-suitable players than Eddie, TA and Baby.  You're practically guaranteed to get a match-up he can exploit in the post and he's better defensively than either House or Barea.   
Conversely, it could be argued that the reason our bench is shooting poorly is because the offense is dysfunctional without a true PG and that players aren't getting their shots in their areas and because the offense as a whole isn't being run properly because of the absence of a true PG

Is it any wonder why Doc changed his rotation and is now having Rondo hit the bench at about the 4 minute mark of the first and third and then bringing him in to play most of the second and fourth including extended time with the bench team

It's because that second unit is just so awful offensively without the guidance of a PG

Add a true back up PG and the second unit becomes more effective and their shooting percentages will increase

I'm sure of it
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 09:53:51 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
it is time to let the bill walker is a legit piece of the future for this team talk go. walker and giddens will not at any time contribute to the boston celtics. it isn't about hall of fame rosters...etc. even when daniels, PP were out and they had nobody...walker didn't play. if those 2 were ever going to contribute...they would have by now.

boston's bench is really a bad bench other than daniels..

eddie- can't defend and doesn't hit shots anymore
BBD- he hustles but he looks worse than last season. gets most of his shots blocked
Sheed- inconsistent, plays lazy a lot of the time and looks out of shape
TA- can look good and then on the next play look awful. not a guy you can count on to steady the ship off the bench
Walker-adds zero
Scal-adds zero
Sheldon-adds zero

the celtics need their bench to be upgraded and things are compounded when the starters give away big leads in the 3rd quarter....we used to count on the starters but they are not pulling their weight anymore...a lot of questions about this team

« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:00:35 AM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 02:23:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Agreed -- they swapped a wing (Butler for Howard) and a big (Haywood for Gooden). How does that make JJ Barea available?

JJ Barea won't be surplus to requirements until after Beaubois takes that backup PG position away from him. Which hasn't happened yet and won't happen prior to the trade deadline.

Barea is still a valued part of their bench.

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 02:43:50 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
Agreed -- they swapped a wing (Butler for Howard) and a big (Haywood for Gooden). How does that make JJ Barea available?

JJ Barea won't be surplus to requirements until after Beaubois takes that backup PG position away from him. Which hasn't happened yet and won't happen prior to the trade deadline.

Barea is still a valued part of their bench.
It makes him available because he has been playing a very large amount of minutes as the team's 2 guard and those minutes will disappear now that Butler and Stephenson are on the team

Barea is playing a major portion of his minutes as the team's SG

Kidd is averaging 36 MPG and Beaubois 11 MPG and all of those minutes are PG minutes

Barea gets some minutes at the PG position when playing the backcourt with Terry but Dallas hates that small lineup and one of the reasonings behind this trade was to get bigger and more physical

Someone is going to get frozen out of this rotation and that player, I believe will be Barea

I think Danny should try

I think he would get a better response than some think
Pick 2 Knicks