Author Topic: Give me the big 3 anyday  (Read 5271 times)

Give me the big 3 anyday
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:55:40 PM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Just tired of all the posts I'm seeing advocating nonsense like trading pierce or KG or "KG is done"... yeah if you can get KMart or AI2 for Ray allen, you probably have to make that trade and I hear that.

But for those of us who went through many years of bad celtic teams, remember just how hard it is to build a championship squad.  we're not that far off with the one we have right here!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 01:34:17 AM by Edgar »

Re: GIVE ME THE BIG 3 ANY DAY
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 12:01:53 AM »

Offline Mad Hatter

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 75
Just tired of all the posts I'm seeing advocating nonsense like trading pierce or KG or "KG is done"... yeah if you can get KMart or AI2 for Ray allen, you probably have to make that trade and I hear that.

But for those of us who went through many years of bad celtic teams, remember just how hard it is to build a championship squad.  we're not that far off with the one we have right here!

Amen.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE

You went through many years of bad Celtic teams because they held on to the last Big 3 for too long. This team is further off than you think. Each of those 3 players needs to be dumped (Maybe not Paul if he resigns for an affordable contract so he can retire a Celtic).

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I agree ... just posted this thread tonight. (TP)

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=35189.0

;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 12:25:17 AM »

Offline RonnieG

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
If you agree with everyone then you should realize their is no "Big 3" anymore. It's an injured big man, a fading shooter, and our team captain.

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:13:13 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
You went through many years of bad Celtic teams because they held on to the last Big 3 for too long. This team is further off than you think. Each of those 3 players needs to be dumped (Maybe not Paul if he resigns for an affordable contract so he can retire a Celtic).

How do 3 players on a team in 1989 have to do with the success of that team over most of the next 2 decades?  that is an absurd argument.  we had down years because of a combination of bad luck (reggie lewis, len bias) bad trades (billups, joe johnson to name a few), bad drafting, etc.

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 01:17:15 AM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Right now the big three arent looking too good. Hopefully good health will return so we can really see what this team can do. The only problem is instead of getting healthy this team seems to be getting worse. I say if we get nothing else in this trade market we get a player who could fill in for KG and do a surprisingly good job. I say that just in case KG can't play much in the playoffs or is ineffective.

Re: Give me the big 3 anyday
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 01:34:54 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
no caps please
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:37:34 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

How do 3 players on a team in 1989 have to do with the success of that team over most of the next 2 decades?  that is an absurd argument.  we had down years because of a combination of bad luck (reggie lewis, len bias) bad trades (billups, joe johnson to name a few), bad drafting, etc.

Seriously? I agree the bad luck and bad trades were there, but the failure to trade away Larry, McHale, Parish etc. for younger talent didn't help. The last time they won was 86. Those guys were still on the floor together in 91. Thats 5 years they continued playing past their prime without earning a championship. That is exactly what this current team will do if you don't trade them. They will remain stagnant or go downhill. This team will not win a championship without making a move. Youth wins in the NBA now. Teams like us, and the Spurs can't beat young teams now.

This team isn't going to draft a Reggie Lewis at 22, or a Len Bias at 2. They're going to continue to draft role players that don't see any action because they're going to be just good enough to stay out of the lottery.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 07:44:39 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

TP, I think most are pretty much agree with you.  There are a select few that have very awful memories. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 07:46:16 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

No that's a canard and just out curiosity were you a fan during that time?  Also I think he added the guy that should be traded if the deal is available. 

Also who in their right mind (GM) will take KG at 20m in his current state?
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 07:49:38 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!

Two valid points, but we're on the descent of the hill and we have to act to get us back up to the top of it. Right now we're moving downhill like a car without brakes.

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 07:57:44 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

No that's a canard and just out curiosity were you a fan during that time?  Also I think he added the guy that should be traded if the deal is available. 

I was born in 89 but have been a fan of the Celtics since I knew what basketball was and also have the internet as a tool, so it's not like I don't understand the past.

Fact: The last time the old big 3 won was in 1986.
Fact: The old big 3 was still together in 1991.

That means they were together for too long, they were no longer good enough to beat other teams that had players like Magic (Kobe), and Jordan (LeBron). We will continue losing to good young teams if we don't make moves. I understand optimism but do you guys seriously think this team has what it takes and should be kept together?

Banner 17 was this big 3's 86. Right now we're at 2010 (1988)... do you want to watch this team continue to not compete against good teams until 2013 (1991)? Danny has said himself he would have traded Larry and those guys to get young talent. You don't let your teams become stagnant just because you want to be loyal to certain players. That is terribly stupid. You go through rebuilding phases.

If you think this team shouldn't make a move because they have what it takes this year to win it all, as well as next year when Ray comes off the books and we get nothing in return because we'll still be over the cap... then I give up my argument because you're obviously not thinking.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 09:31:20 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I was born in 89 but have been a fan of the Celtics since I knew what basketball was and also have the internet as a tool, so it's not like I don't understand the past.

That means they were together for too long, they were no longer good enough to beat other teams that had players like Magic (Kobe), and Jordan (LeBron). We will continue losing to good young teams if we don't make moves. I understand optimism but do you guys seriously think this team has what it takes and should be kept together?

The internet's not like being there, especially in this case. That 1991 team would have easily been title favorites if Bird had been able to stay healthy. They were like 26-5 when he started having back problems that year and many of the wins were blowouts, most of them comfortable. They were probably the equivalent of the 07-08 team until that point. You're saying they should have broken the team up because they didn't win the title. They were certainly contenders at that time.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 09:50:25 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
Personal Message (Offline)

« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:57:44 am »
Quote from: Birdbrain on Today at 07:46:16 am
Quote from: MattG12 on Today at 12:02:33 am
Quote from: Junkyard Dawg on Yesterday at 11:55:40 pm

Banner 17 was this big 3's 86. Right now we're at 2010 (1988)... do you want to watch this team continue to not compete against good teams until 2013 (1991)? Danny has said himself he would have traded Larry and those guys to get young talent. You don't let your teams become stagnant just because you want to be loyal to certain players. That is terribly stupid. You go through rebuilding phases.

Making a sweeping analogy of these celtics to the celtics of the 80's does not  prove anything.  KG PP and ray ray are not the same as Bird mcahale and parrish.

And the argument that "young teams" win in the NBA now also doesn't make sense.  kobe, rashard lewis, turkoglu, odom and several other key players are 30+ and were competing for a championship last year.  Gasol is almost 30.

Having lived through those 90's and early 00's celtics teams, it did feel like there was a certain level of apathy among management for building good teams.  Danny and Wyc have obviously shown that they want to build a winning team, so I have confidence.

But you can't just compare the "old" big 3 to the "new" big 3 and tell me that's proof in and of itself that we should be rebuilding.  Players like PP and KG don't come along all that often, but I think people posting on here forget that fact.