Author Topic: Boston is Smoove's Top Destination?  (Read 14059 times)

Re: Boston is Smoove's Top Destination?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2013, 10:28:48 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if anybody else suggested this, but...

A simple trade that could work for both teams is Rondo and Melo for Smith (no muss, no fuss).  We lose nothing for this year and add a borderline all-star type.  If Danny still really thinks we could make noise in the playoffs despite all our injuries, he could take the big gamble and try this, and he wouldn't have to decimate this year's squad to do it (and of course, he keeps KG and PP in the bargain).

Rondo's probably the main reason Smith would want to come to Boston.
True, but in a trade scenario, it really wouldn't matter what he wants.  Now, keeping him beyond this year would be a different story.

If it doesn't really matter what he wants then it wouldn't matter that he's interested in Boston and Atlanta would have plenty of trade partners that were probably willing to offer something other than a player that's out for the year with a knee injury.

« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2013, 10:35:11 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if anybody else suggested this, but...

A simple trade that could work for both teams is Rondo and Melo for Smith (no muss, no fuss).  We lose nothing for this year and add a borderline all-star type.  If Danny still really thinks we could make noise in the playoffs despite all our injuries, he could take the big gamble and try this, and he wouldn't have to decimate this year's squad to do it (and of course, he keeps KG and PP in the bargain).

True, but in a trade scenario, it really wouldn't matter what he wants.  Now, keeping him beyond this year would be a different story.

If it doesn't really matter what he wants then it wouldn't matter that he's interested in Boston and Atlanta would have plenty of trade partners that were probably willing to offer something other than a player that's out for the year with a knee injury.

Be real. Boston is way less attractive to Smith if Rondo is gone. Not only are they best friends but what is so exciting about playing for Boston without Rondo? Sully Bradley and Green in a couple years.

Kg sounds like he might retire this year and Paul is gone after next year if the only guys he's playing with of substance are Terry, Bradley, Smith, Green, and Sully.

Sorry Lee and Bass, but you guys don't get it done.

Smith would be walking into a worse situation, if traded for Rondo, in Boston then in Atlanta. At least in Atlanta he has Horford.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
only way I see Smith to Boston at the deadline is if some 3rd team is willing to eat salary and Boston manages to get extra bodies tossed in

I don't see us trading Rondo, I don't see us trading KG or Pierce, so that leaves us with just a pupu platter of Green/Bass/Lee/Terry to offer up - and it would likely take a sweetener like Sullinger to make it happen

the only reason we'd have any hope of pulling it off would be because the Hawks are getting low-balled

probably a great chance of happening in the offseason if we find a way to clear the deck of salaries via retirement parties and such - or I suppose some kind of sign-and-trade could be worked out too, but same problems as above
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
only way I see Smith to Boston is if some 3rd team is willing to eat salary and Boston manages to get extra bodies tossed in

I don't see us trading Rondo, I don't see us trading KG or Pierce, so that leaves us with just a pupu platter of Green/Bass/Lee/Terry to offer up - and it would likely take a sweetener like Sullinger to make it happen

the only reason we'd have any hope of pulling it off would be because the Hawks are getting low-balled

probably a great chance of happening in the offseason if we find a way to clear the deck of salaries via retirement parties and such

The deal that I think made sense earlier in the year, and makes even more sense now that Green is playing well, and his value is higher is this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=a4v7jb9

Boston gets Smith and Stevenson (perhaps throw Livingston in as well, but he can't be traded until tomorrow)

Cleveland gets Green

Atlanta gets Bass, Walton (expiring), Melo, Pick from Cleveland, Pick from Boston (or maybe even two picks from Cleveland...Green has looked very good lately)

If you need, you can try to send Bass to a 4th team for another expiring contract, although Atlanta might not be too opposed to taking him as a cost controlled rotation big man.

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:14 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

Maybe Atlanta would have better offers and maybe they wouldn't.  Assuming Rondo comes back completely, he's a better player than Smith, so I'm not sure how much better they could do for Smith.

And yeah, if it's a trade, it doesn't really matter what Smith wants.  It's the team trading for him that takes on the risk of being able to re-sign him or not.

I don't much care about getting him anyway, because I regard him a lot like I regarded Antoine; a talented guy who doesn't play the right way.  I'm just noodling around, because I think it's unlikely in the extreme that he comes to Boston.  You either gut your team to get him (and why would Atlanta want any part of that?), or you do something involving Rondo, PP, or KG.  So, very, very unlikely.

« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
only way I see Smith to Boston at the deadline is if some 3rd team is willing to eat salary and Boston manages to get extra bodies tossed in

probably a great chance of happening in the offseason if we find a way to clear the deck of salaries via retirement parties and such - or I suppose some kind of sign-and-trade could be worked out too, but same problems as above

I agree. It's why in any deal I have proposed it has Lee being absorbed by Memphis with their Trade Exception.

The Grizzlies are far enough under the luxury tax that they're willing to utilize at least part of their $7.5 million trade exception to add some perimeter help. Acquiring SG Courtney Lee, who Boston would consider flipping for some frontline help, was discussed but the Celtics aren't looking just to drop salary but add size.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/21669866/report-memphis-not-done-dealing-could-target-bostons-courtney-lee

Does Smith count as size?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2013, 10:44:13 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
only way I see Smith to Boston is if some 3rd team is willing to eat salary and Boston manages to get extra bodies tossed in

probably a great chance of happening in the offseason if we find a way to clear the deck of salaries via retirement parties and such

The deal that I think made sense earlier in the year, and makes even more sense now that Green is playing well, and his value is higher is this:

Boston gets Smith and Stevenson (perhaps throw Livingston in as well, but he can't be traded until tomorrow)

Cleveland gets Green

Atlanta gets Bass, Walton (expiring), Melo, Pick from Cleveland, Pick from Boston (or maybe even two picks from Cleveland...Green has looked very good lately)

If you need, you can try to send Bass to a 4th team for another expiring contract, although Atlanta might not be too opposed to taking him as a cost controlled rotation big man.

No way cleveland would give up lottery picks for Jeff Green

« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2013, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Cleveland gets Green

No way cleveland would give up lottery picks for Jeff Green

Sorry, should have clarified.  Cleveland has a stockpile of 4 first rounders in addition to all of their own.  It would be one or two of them.  They are from the Lakers, Heat, Kings, and Grizzlies.

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2013, 10:49:59 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Heres the deal I offer:

http://espn.go.com/nba/trademachine?tradeId=cjwzv65

They take it. Freaking awesome lets do it. They say no, then we just move on with what we got for the rest of the year. Leaves us extremely thin at the guard spot but I like a lineup of Terry, Pierce, Green, Smith, and KG. Sign a guy like Dooling, Flynn or Christmas.

Your link is messed up.

I do this. Atlanta seemed to really be interested in Melo around draft time. They get Bass who at least helps them reach the salary cap floor next season, a pick, and a trade exception via Lee to Memphis.

http://espn.go.com/nba/trademachine?tradeId=bkw7bwa

No NBA trade machine links are working right now......this seems to happen every 2 weeks lol

Haha i was just going to say so is yours...

Anyway here is what mine was

Lee, Bass, Melo draft pick

For Smith.

Hawks say yes then done deal. If they say no (which they most likely would) move on with what we got.

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
You guys are crazy if you don't want josh smith. Now if we're talking max contract then no but if he comes for a discount of course you take him.

And when is the last time we've had a player of his caliber, wanting to be a Celtic, while entering their prime?

I keep saying this. People keep saying "we won't get far with a core of Smith and Rondo" or "he's a good player,  but we need a superstar."

My question is, who is this superstar player that we can get that actually wants to be in Boston? We've tried to go for Cp3, but he made it very clear he didn't want to be here. We were never on Dwight Howard's radar. No one is patient enough to tank to get a high lottery pick to develop into our next superstar.

So who are these superstars ripe for the picking?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Trying to come up with trades, that I think would be good value for Atlanta and that wouldn't severely affect Boston's title chances. 

I think this is the best one I could do.

Bass, Lee, Sullinger, Melo, 2013 1st

for

Smith, Stevenson

Atlanta gets some nice rotation players on reasonable contracts, 2 young players, and an extra 1st.  Not a great deal, but not bad and certainly better than Brooklyn's presumed offer.

So Boston post trade would be

PG - Bradley, Terry
SG - Stevenson, Terry
SF - Pierce, Green
PF - Smith, Green
C - Garnett, Wilcox, Collins

That team is closer to a title this year and has the potential pairing of Rondo and Smith to build around going forward (with Green being a nice piece).  If Smith does leave this summer, then there is a good chance PP, KG, and Terry all retire, and thus Boston would have cap space and could go into full on rebuilding.
I keep forgetting Memphis presumably wants Lee.  That might be a way to clear some future cap space from Atlanta in the trade.  Maybe send Lee to Memphis in the trade and then Atlanta doesn't take on the salary or maybe Memphis sends Allen to Atlanta so they replace Stevenson with a guy expiring who does what Stevenson does but better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Boston OUT: Green, Lee, Bass, First
Boston IN: J.Smith, J.Bayless, Q.Pondexter

Memphis OUT: J.Bayless, Q.Pondexter
Memphis IN: Lee

Atlanta OUT: J.Smith
Atlanta IN: Green, Bass, BOS First

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2013, 11:20:38 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Big win for boston.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:33 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
if memphis wants lee they could send their trade exception to atlanta
boston sends green and a 1st to atlanta

Bos gets stevenson and smith

Atl gets green, draft pick and trade exception

mem gets lee

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:54 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

Big win for boston.

I know ;)

Still, I think it's a pretty fair trade all around. I love Bayless, btw.