Author Topic: Celtics (15-15) at Mavericks (20-12) 2/20  (Read 60181 times)

Re: Celtics (15-15) at Mavericks (20-12) 2/20
« Reply #285 on: February 20, 2012, 11:46:49 PM »

Offline bostonpatriot

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 6
Rondo, Powe, and Perk don't count, because they were already on the team and had been for a significant amount of time.  Baby counts, but mainly as the exception to the rule.  He's the one young player acquired during the Big 3 era that Doc actually turned into a regular contributor for multiple seasons.

The other guys were bums. How do you turn JR Giddens or Patrick O'Bryant into regular contributors? Hudson? Pruitt? Walker? Those guys can't play. That's on Danny, not Doc.

I actually think that the fact he turned Big Baby Davis into a regular contributor is sort of miraculous.

« Reply #286 on: February 20, 2012, 11:49:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2972
Mavs really have the same problem as the Celtics creeping up

When Dirk doesn't play they FLAT OUT LOSE.  I don't remeber them winning a game without him on the floor .  If Dirk has any kind of injury , they are SUNK.    

Dirk is moving like an old guy now , he can still shoot the lights out casue he don't have to jump being 7' , stand flat footed and shoot over everybody.

The MAvs better pay atttendion to the Celtics sticking with the players too long or they 'll be in the same boat. REAL SOON

« Reply #287 on: February 21, 2012, 12:16:35 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Rondo, Powe, and Perk don't count, because they were already on the team and had been for a significant amount of time.  Baby counts, but mainly as the exception to the rule.  He's the one young player acquired during the Big 3 era that Doc actually turned into a regular contributor for multiple seasons.

The other guys were bums. How do you turn JR Giddens or Patrick O'Bryant into regular contributors? Hudson? Pruitt? Walker? Those guys can't play. That's on Danny, not Doc.

I actually think that the fact he turned Big Baby Davis into a regular contributor is sort of miraculous.

How have the Spurs turned so many castoffs, undrafted guys, and overseas nobodies into valuable rotation players?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #288 on: February 21, 2012, 12:29:13 AM »

Offline bostonpatriot

• Kristaps Porzingis

How have the Spurs turned so many castoffs, undrafted guys, and overseas nobodies into valuable rotation players?

Overseas nobodies to whom? You, who don't know them?

Have the Spurs turned any of those untalented guys into valuable rotation players? What about Alonzo Gee? Othyus Jeffers? Larry Owens? Malik Hairston? Marcus Haislip? Ian Mahinmi? Garrett Temple? Cedric Jackson? James Gist?

They turned Splitter, George Hill or Gary Neal into rotation players because those guys have talent. The untalented guys like JR Giddens or Gabe Pruitt didn't turn into rotation players. It's quite simple.

« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:49 AM »

Offline bostonpatriot

• Kristaps Porzingis
Actually the Spurs failed to turn Mahinmi, a decent reserve center, into a rotation player. He's one now for the Mavericks. Then again, Popovich is notorious for not trusting young players. Spurs fans criticize him all the time for that. Then again, that's pretty much a common trait to every NBA fanbase.

Anyway, I'd take Doc Rivers record (not a single miss) over Pop's  (missed Mahinmi.. maybe also Gee?).

« Reply #290 on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:16 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
Actually the Spurs failed to turn Mahinmi, a decent reserve center, into a rotation player. He's one now for the Mavericks. Then again, Popovich is notorious for not trusting young players. Spurs fans criticize him all the time for that. Then again, that's pretty much a common trait to every NBA fanbase.

Anyway, I'd take Doc Rivers record (not a single miss) over Pop's  (missed Mahinmi.. maybe also Gee?).

hard to tell if this post is 100% sarcasm . . . .

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #291 on: February 21, 2012, 01:10:50 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
"He's 21! He should be playing"

You guys are a riot, you know that?  ::)

« Reply #292 on: February 21, 2012, 01:17:32 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
etwaun moore:  6 pts in 3 minutes

ray allen: 15 pts in 37 minutes

can we start etwaun already? ray allen has become to predictable to defend now.
This is not fair to Ray. Without KG to stretch the floor, the opposing defenders can just jump out and blitz on him without worrying about the screener. Ray has zero space to work with.

Ray's averaging all of 14 in 33.5.

« Reply #293 on: February 21, 2012, 01:44:49 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
etwaun moore:  6 pts in 3 minutes

ray allen: 15 pts in 37 minutes

can we start etwaun already? ray allen has become to predictable to defend now.
This is not fair to Ray. Without KG to stretch the floor, the opposing defenders can just jump out and blitz on him without worrying about the screener. Ray has zero space to work with.

Ray's averaging all of 14 in 33.5.

Ray is now a rich man's Kyle Korver.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #294 on: February 21, 2012, 02:25:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Who were the rookies that Doc didn't play and then went to prove they deserved playing time once they moved to another coach?

Doc's record is pretty obvious: if a rookie has talent, Doc will eventually find playing time for him. If he lacks talent or isn't ready, he won't play.

What's the problem with this? Seems perfect to me.
There is way too much logic in this post. Please Simplify so that even I can understand.

Wait. Its so simple even an idiot like me can understand. Doc didn't play players because.....

THEY WEREN'T TALENTED ENOUGH TO EARN PLAYING TIME!!!!!!

WOW!!!! WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!

When Perkins, Rondo, Walker, Giddens, Erden, Harangody, Pruitt, Giddens,Johnson, and Moore didn't get time its because THEY WEREN'T BETTER THAN THE GUY IN FRONT OF THEM IN THE ROTATION!!!!

OH MY FREAKING GOD!!!!!!

WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!!

I wish coaches on a very simple level of basketball like Youth League, CYO, Middle School or even something so ADVANCED as high school basketball could figure stuff like this out because God knows Doc Rivers, who won an NBA championship as a coach and did stuff NO OTHER COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA had ever done before, for sonme reason can't figure it out!!!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #295 on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »

Offline bostonpatriot

• Kristaps Porzingis

hard to tell if this post is 100% sarcasm . . . .

Not even 1%. What part of it you think it's sarcasm?

The facts are there. Doc played every single young player that had a minimum of talent to work with. Blaming him for not turning those untalented D-Leaguers - some aren't even any good in the D-League - into NBA rotational players doesn't make any sense. No coach does that - certainly not Popovich.

Once Doc doesn't play a couple of guys who later leave the Celtics and become solid players for some other team, then you may have an argument.

« Reply #296 on: February 21, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »

Offline Inside-Out

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Who were the rookies that Doc didn't play and then went to prove they deserved playing time once they moved to another coach?

Doc's record is pretty obvious: if a rookie has talent, Doc will eventually find playing time for him. If he lacks talent or isn't ready, he won't play.

There is way too much logic in this post. Please Simplify so that even I can understand.

Wait. Its so simple even an idiot like me can understand. Doc didn't play players because.....

When Perkins, Rondo, Walker, Giddens, Erden, Harangody, Pruitt, Giddens,Johnson, and Moore didn't get time its because THEY WEREN'T BETTER THAN THE GUY IN FRONT OF THEM IN THE ROTATION!!!!

OH MY FREAKING GOD!!!!!!

WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!!

I wish coaches on a very simple level of basketball like Youth League, CYO, Middle School or even something so ADVANCED as high school basketball could figure stuff like this out because God knows Doc Rivers, who won an NBA championship as a coach and did stuff NO OTHER COACH IN THE HISTORY OF THE NBA had ever done before, for sonme reason can't figure it out!!!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Take it easy, bud.  You know very well that impatience and second-guessing the coaching staff and GM's is pretty much standard fare around here.  It's not like Danny has any of us on his speed dial (and actually never returns any of my calls for some reason).

« Reply #297 on: February 21, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
In last night's blowout loss, which was also the second night of a back-to-back, Jermaine O'Neal played more than either Stiemsma or JJJ.  If Wilcox hadn't gotten hurt early in the third, JO might have played more than both of them put together.  Dooling also played over twice as many minutes as E'Twaun Moore.  Has not Moore proven that he can play?  Has Dooling done anything this season to justify Doc automatically giving him twice as many minutes in a game as Moore, especially in a blow out loss?

Yes, the whole "Doc hates rookies" thing can be overdone.  But the idea that Doc just LOOOOOOOOOVES playing young players as long as they're good is willfully stupid.

Mike

« Reply #298 on: February 21, 2012, 01:45:26 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Once Doc doesn't play a couple of guys who later leave the Celtics and become solid players for some other team, then you may have an argument.

Bill Walker.  A great player?  No.  A quality NBA starter?  No.  But when he went from Boston to NY, Walker went from 3.6 minutes a game and contributing nothing to 27.4 minutes a game, 11.9 pts, 3.1 rebs and 51% from the field.

By comparison, Marshon Brooks for NJ this season is playing 30 minutes a game and putting up 14.2 pts, 4.3 rebs on 43% shooting.

This season, Walker is averaging 6.1 pts and 2.7 rebs with a +6 efficiency rating.  Pietrus is putting up 6.7 pts, 3.1 rebs abd a +6.1 efficiency rating.

Mike

« Reply #299 on: February 21, 2012, 01:52:50 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

OH MY FREAKING GOD!!!!!!

WHAT A CONCEPT!!!!!

You're right, Doc is perfect; he has no flaws as a coach.  No other coach in the league could have done a better job with what Doc has been given over the last 4-5 years.

If Doc makes a decision about the rotation, he's clearly right.  We should accept every decision without question, because he's just incredible and infallible.

- Doc Rivers