Author Topic: Could be worse...Hamilton Traded  (Read 35206 times)

Re: Could be worse...Hamilton Traded
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 04:00:06 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
The Bruins' recent moves scream incompetence:

1) People around the league seem to be in agreement that they could have (and should have) gotten more for Hamilton.

2) Signing McQuaid to a 4-year deal at $2.75/yr isn't a good use of resources for a team with cap issues.

3) Picking Senyshyn at #15 was clearly a reach, and the experts say there's no doubt that the Bruins could have traded down if they really wanted him, acquiring extra assets in the process.

These feel like the mistakes of a rookie GM.  Just one of the above errors would make me worried about the future.  Put them together and it might take years to undo the damage.  And Sweeney isn't done yet!

If the Bruins wanted to win in the short term, Hamilton should have been a priority.  If they felt like their cap situation was too much of a mess, and they needed to rebuild, then they should have gone after the #3 pick and explored trading Rask and going with Martin Jones.

None of the moves in the Sweeney era make sense to me.  What am I missing?  Can ANYONE explain the logic behind these moves?

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

None of the moves in the Sweeney era make sense to me.  What am I missing?  Can ANYONE explain the logic behind these moves?

The Lucic one was the only one that made any level of sense to me, and they squandered that by wasting the first rounder.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It's okay guise...we still got the Patriots, the other Boston team that has recently brought home a championship!  ;D

But I am still waiting for the Celtics to bring one home, and soon.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 04:31:53 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet

The Lucic one was the only one that made any level of sense to me, and they squandered that by wasting the first rounder.

Agreed--the Lucic deal makes sense...in isolation.  And I like the return that they got for Martin Jones, too.  But do you have any sense of what the big plan is? 

Even if it turns out that there's some truth to the Hamilton smear campaign that's building steam, I don't know how you justify the recent decisions.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 04:39:56 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

We just traded the backup goalie we got for a 2016 first rounder from the Sharks that has a decent chance of being a lottery pick. So essentially it was Lucic for a mid and high first round pick which is a great haul. Unlike the NBA, first round picks no matter the location have a high value.

I don't think the team wanted to resign Hamilton. He is good but I don't think he'll ever be great. Only deal I'm mad about is resigning Mquaid.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Also I know it will be unpopular, but I would seriously consider trading Zdeno Chara. By the time we have loaded up again 2016/2017 he will be on his last legs.

You have Bergeron, Rask, and Krejci build around that. That is good enough of a core to build on the fly.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 04:47:49 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
Also I know it will be unpopular, but I would seriously consider trading Zdeno Chara. By the time we have loaded up again 2016/2017 he will be on his last legs.

You have Bergeron, Rask, and Krejci build around that. That is good enough of a core to build on the fly.

Agreed.  With the moves they've made so far, dealing Chara would make sense now.  We'll see if they do what makes sense.

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Less than $6mil a year for a franchise defenseman? Heck, yes.

I agree that a "franchise" defenseman such as Chara is very valuable; like a very good #1 starter makes the whole pitching staff better or a shutdown corner makes the whole secondary better, a franchise defenseman makes the entire defensive rotation better.

I am just not sure it is a given that Hamilton is going to be that kind of a defenseman.  To me, he certainly showed flashes of skill and speed but lacked the kind of gritty consistency that a defenseman needs.  Mistakes can end up in the back of the net so that consistency or discipline or whatever you call it, is very important.  I did not see that in Hamilton and I am guessing that the talent evaluation team with the Bruins came to a similar conclusion.

I can't rule out that the Bruins did this more based on attitude send a message or some other more political aspect over pure talent.  They get to see him everyday in practice so I hope this is about their projection of his talent and trading him for 3 really good picks (think of this as trading one player for a first and 2 seconds in football, that is a lot of value) to build team depth.  Either way, it is not an absolute that the Bruins just traded the equivalent of Keith or Suppan.

(seems like I am a lone voice here)

No, you very well could be right. Only time will tell.

You are right....Hamilton may not be a franchise defeseman but he wasn't asking to be paid like one.  Franchise d-men get paid $7mil + a year.  What Hamilton signed for is very reasonable for his current skill level.  If you factor in his age and potential to be a franchise d-man, then the Bruins blew it...BIG time. 
That being said, I am a season ticket holder for the Providence Bruins so I have watched a lot of games and they have some good prospects (Morrow, Trotman, Arnesson).
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 05:15:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Agreed.  With the moves they've made so far, dealing Chara would make sense now.  We'll see if they do what makes sense.

Chara was not himself last year.  Very hard to say if he can bounce back or not, at his age and on what may not be all that good of a team.  I think they will start the season with him, see how he plays, see how desperate someone is at the trade deadline, and then if you can get value, yeah, trading him has to be on the table.