Author Topic: If you are the Cavs gm, do you use 2018 Nets 1st to upgrade team?  (Read 6261 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
-Considering losing to the Warriors again/chasing the Warriors
-Uncertainty that Lebron will be back next season
-May not be able to beat the Celtics in the playoffs

yes or no to use the pick to make an immediate upgrade?

Re: If you are the Cavs gm, do you use 2018 Nets 1st to upgrade team?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 11:25:25 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I dunno, it's a tough situation to be in. Part of me says, if this is your last season with LBJ you go all in because who knows if you will ever get back to this point again. Part of me says look out for your future. Thing is, if you don't go all in and that BKN doesn't get you someone good and LBJ leaves, then it was a mistake not to go all in.

Glad I'm not a GM, these guys have some crazy decisions to make every season. Look at the backlash DA had to endure (he's not even the sole decision maker but he got all the hate).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:35:16 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Definitely not, if the FO has any confidence in their ability to rebuild the team.  This is their last shot at a championship -- whether LBJ leaves (likely) or not -- and they ain't beating GSW this year unless lightning strikes.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:39:55 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Cleveland's best path forward is to keep Lebron James. He's the best basketball player in the world and his departure will crush that team. If they lose LBJ and IT, CLE will be bad enough to get their own draft pick similar to the BKN pick. They should not prioritize picks right now. They should prioritize Lebron.

I'd ask him what player he wants to play with, and trade whatever to get that guy. The problem is the top 15 players most likely aren't on the move. They don't have the capital to get Anthony Davis. I don't see OKC sabotaging a playoff run by trading PG13.

Going down the list of top players, I think Rudy Gobert, Demarcus Cousins, Deandre Jordan, and Hassan Whiteside might be their best chances to improve, though I'm not certain the Nets pick acquires all of these guys.

Lebron coming back to CLE was a good story. I think his best path forward from a PR perspective (you know he cares about this) would be to stay while CLE improves quickly. This means experienced talent, not 19 year old draft picks.

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:42:57 PM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
yes or no to use the pick to make an immediate upgrade?

Nope. I keep the pick and blow the current team up over the summer and start fresh by embracing the youth movement for the future.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 11:44:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Cleveland's best path forward is to keep Lebron James. He's the best basketball player in the world and his departure will crush that team. If they lose LBJ and IT, CLE will be bad enough to get their own draft pick similar to the BKN pick. They should not prioritize picks right now. They should prioritize Lebron.

I'd ask him what player he wants to play with, and trade whatever to get that guy. The problem is the top 15 players most likely aren't on the move. They don't have the capital to get Anthony Davis. I don't see OKC sabotaging a playoff run by trading PG13.

Going down the list of top players, I think Rudy Gobert, Demarcus Cousins, Deandre Jordan, and Hassan Whiteside might be their best chances to improve, though I'm not certain the Nets pick acquires all of these guys.

Lebron coming back to CLE was a good story. I think his best path forward from a PR perspective (you know he cares about this) would be to stay while CLE improves quickly. This means experienced talent, not 19 year old draft picks.

You make a good point but I think that money will also factor into the decision for Dan Gilbert. He's been paying a small fortune in taxes for a team that's not even that good this year.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 11:47:12 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
The Brooklyn picks aint what they used to be.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 11:57:26 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Definitely not, if the FO has any confidence in their ability to rebuild the team.  This is their last shot at a championship -- whether LBJ leaves (likely) or not -- and they ain't beating GSW this year unless lightning strikes.

For sure, that makes sense.  Lol @ "lightning strikes."  TP, tar.

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 12:07:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
1-5 .....No way .......hit the road Bron

5-10 .....I want some committment .....maybe I buy you help ....sissy .....maybe not ....tuff call

11-15 .....might as well trade and see what you can do to keep him another year ......he is not signing but one year deals anyway .  No way Bron locks him self in Cleveland ....with all that TV and promotional slaes, movies , etc waiting for him to cash in on.   If Cavs have like 12 pick they should make effort ......they might not have another player on their team this good for 50-100 years.

Bron is pretty much uncoachable .   Only Lakers will fire staff at a Lebron whim.......Yes men only thank you .   

I kinda want Lebron to to go LA .....what a circus ......Lavar / Lebron show ..

pool of fools

One more year of Bron is not worth a top 5 pick .   NO way .  ....he is leaving anyway ....why throw it away. 

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 12:17:20 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Did you just quote and praise yourself? I think you forgot to logout first.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:54:34 AM by RockinRyA »

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:22:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!

Did you just quote and praised yourself? I think you forgot to logout first.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 12:35:29 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Lol tar what is the deal with that

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 01:04:03 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Have you ever talked to a mirror in order to psych yourself up for a big day?  It definitely works.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:42:53 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 01:09:17 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If it fetches Cleveland a really good star I'd do it. Can't be a DaJ/Gobert type of "star", it has to be something like DMC/PG type of star that can be a number 2 option behind LeBron and spearhead an offense along with IT and Love. I think IT/Jae/Bron/Love/DMC or IT/PG/Jae/Bron/Love as a starting 5 can definitely have a shot at winning it all if it clicks, and as Cleveland I's absolutely risk it.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:57 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Have you ever talked to a mirror in order to psych yourself up for a big day?  It definitely works.

haha TP for being honest!
cheers