Author Topic: NBA gives a ridiculous fine to LAC  (Read 4914 times)

Re: NBA gives a ridiculous fine to LAC
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2019, 07:38:00 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The NBA has stated that Kawhi is injured and the Clips sitting him is consistent with league policy.  The NBA fined them for:

“The NBA has fined the Clippers $50,000 for statements, including by head coach Doc Rivers, that were inconsistent with Leonard's health status.”

The NBA doesn't want the perception out there that healthy players are sitting out games especially nationally televised games.  So if team officials are going to talk about it they better get their language right or else they are going to be fined.

So they better LIE? That is okay with you?

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 07:40:05 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
How many games did KL miss in the playoffs last year? Was he injured then? What exactly is this injury?

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 07:43:54 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/11/07/clippers-fined-nba-kawhi-leonard-health

Stunned.

I truly can't comprehend the NBA's action to fin the Clips.
It is well known that Kawhi, the NBA's best player, is chronically injured.
NBA must enable his team to manage his health.
That should include the team's ability to change its mind.
NBA is entering some murky waters.

The NBA is right and you are WRONG.

NBA is in the entertainment business, and they market the stars and not the teams. KL is marketed as a superstar. He is not injured...he needs to play because he is the marketed product. Play him or give the patrons back their money. You caanot have teams colluding with stars to upset the apple cart. Smart businessmen built this league, these players have no idea. All they see now is millions of dollars pouring in without knowledge of the trust built with fans over the years. I shell out $$ to watch the Clippers play do you think I want to see some scrubs while the star rolls in  decked in a $5,000 suit I am helping pay for and sits on the bench? That is BS and it borders on false advertising. It cheats the fans, it cheats the other teams, and it cheats the other players. It has to stop!!!
I don't think that Raptors fans felt nor feel like were cheated last year.
In fact, I think it is the exact opposite.
1st banner ever.
Then he should rest only for home games that aren't on national tv.

That would definitely answer the  cheating the fan issue.... now what about the dilution of competition issue. For example, MIL gets to play Clippers without KL, is that fair to Philly if KL plays against them?
Yes, it is fair that teams can't control the actions of other teams, just their own.

You are right. It is not up to the teams, it is up to the league  to ensure fair competition. It must be a honor  system as these things cannot be legislated , but if the viewing public gets a sense that the system is unfair they might lose interest.

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2019, 07:53:59 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't have a problem with teams having players on "maintenance" programs. At the same time, those "maintenance" situations shouldn't occur during nationally televised games, and also limit doing so on road trips. Further more, give prior notice that a player won't be playing... these are usually not done on a whim.

By the same token, the NBA should stop scheduling nationally televised games for teams in the middle of a back-to-back.

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 07:54:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Stunned.

NBA is in the entertainment business, and they market the stars and not the teams. KL is marketed as a superstar. He is not injured...he needs to play because he is the marketed product. Play him or give the patrons back their money. You caanot have teams colluding with stars to upset the apple cart. Smart businessmen built this league, these players have no idea. All they see now is millions of dollars pouring in without knowledge of the trust built with fans over the years. I shell out $$ to watch the Clippers play do you think I want to see some scrubs while the star rolls in  decked in a $5,000 suit I am helping pay for and sits on the bench? That is BS and it borders on false advertising. It cheats the fans, it cheats the other teams, and it cheats the other players. It has to stop!!!
1st banner ever.
Then he should rest only for home games that aren't on national tv.

That would definitely answer the  cheating the fan issue.... now what about the dilution of competition issue. For example, MIL gets to play Clippers without KL, is that fair to Philly if KL plays against them?
Yes, it is fair that teams can't control the actions of other teams, just their own.

You are right. It is not up to the teams, it is up to the league  to ensure fair competition. It must be a honor  system as these things cannot be legislated , but if the viewing public gets a sense that the system is unfair they might lose interest.

Bingo !   its about business....entertainment....and WHO wants to,paid big money to see a famous musician....say Eric Clapton doesn't show , but only his band does ?  How long will that last befor people stop buying tickets ...?  not long.   

People are paying to see THE STARs on the court .....not Wannamaker or Rozier types.

If your truely sick ....then you should not play 100% ....but these guys are coasting.   

At least Bron gets out on the court for the fans , even if he is standing around for three quarters.   There is some value for fan in that .

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

Stunned.

1st banner ever.

I agree. The Spurs fans are used to it as well. I guess some are just too entitled so its understandable there are differences. Some people value good playoff performances over random regular aeason games.

I think the note about entitlement cuts both ways though: if you're someone who can't afford to bring your family to a playoff game (or just attend yourself), the "random regular season game" may be the only opportunity you have to watch your team play in the flesh. When you buy a ticket you surely have a reasonable expectation to see the team to suit up their healthy players?

In other words, are we measuring the quality of the fandom by the depth of their pockets? I think that for anyone (outside of the league office) that would be a difficult argument to make.

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:07 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
This is what I don't get... Why can't the Clips just suit him up, say he is available but not play him a single minute... Or put him on minutes restriction on back to backs..

The NBA is right that Kawhi technically is not injured.. He plays almost 35 min. Whenever he plays so that itself says he is healthy... In the 80s players play until their legs come off so players nowadays are babied too much.

Using the 80s an excuse kinda gives more credence to rest. Perhaps if they were babied, Bird and McHale couldve given us more years and several more championships.

Also the Clips fine was basically a fine based on their interpretation of Doc's statement.
No one was going to tell Larry Bird he had to sit out for "load management".

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 08:43:41 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
The only way to fix this is to cut the # of playoff teams and/or reduce the # of regular season games. Too many games and too many playoff teams renders much of the regular season meaningless.

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 08:47:40 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't have a problem with teams having players on "maintenance" programs. At the same time, those "maintenance" situations shouldn't occur during nationally televised games, and also limit doing so on road trips. Further more, give prior notice that a player won't be playing... these are usually not done on a whim.

By the same token, the NBA should stop scheduling nationally televised games for teams in the middle of a back-to-back.

Others have brought up similar points, but you pretty much typed exactly what I was going to say so, TP!

The announcers last night were joking that the Cs starters were on load management in the 4th quarter because they took care of business through the first 3 quarters. As has been mentioned, he should at least plan to play a few minutes each quarter; that would give his team a legitimate chance of winning and give the fans the opportunity to see an MVP level player play. That won't happen, though, because stats are too important and his per game averages would suffer.

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 08:53:27 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
How many games did KL miss in the playoffs last year? Was he injured then? What exactly is this injury?
He has a diseased tendon, that's what his major chronic injury is. His opposite knee has been having issues due to overcompensation which is common in leg/knee injuries.

The tendon is chronic more than the knee, though a NBA veteran of his years almost certainly has some knee wear and tear.

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 09:01:12 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
This is what I don't get... Why can't the Clips just suit him up, say he is available but not play him a single minute... Or put him on minutes restriction on back to backs..

The NBA is right that Kawhi technically is not injured.. He plays almost 35 min. Whenever he plays so that itself says he is healthy... In the 80s players play until their legs come off so players nowadays are babied too much.

Using the 80s an excuse kinda gives more credence to rest. Perhaps if they were babied, Bird and McHale couldve given us more years and several more championships.

Also the Clips fine was basically a fine based on their interpretation of Doc's statement.

Of course, which eventually ended his career prematurely.

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

^this. It also killed McHale's foot. Bird would've been close to the Mount Rushmore if he aged better (less of a drop off after 87/88 and lasting longer until say 94-96, it would've given him 11-12 MVP calibre seasons plus a few good post-prime seasons as an All-NBA guy), it makes sense for Leonard to do this to boost his longevity (it'll hurt the value of his peak seasons, but he'll have more good post-prime years).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2019, 09:24:37 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

^this. It also killed McHale's foot. Bird would've been close to the Mount Rushmore if he aged better (less of a drop off after 87/88 and lasting longer until say 94-96, it would've given him 11-12 MVP calibre seasons plus a few good post-prime seasons as an All-NBA guy), it makes sense for Leonard to do this to boost his longevity (it'll hurt the value of his peak seasons, but he'll have more good post-prime years).
Bird IS on the NBA Mount Rushmore. 

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2019, 09:51:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Bird IS on the NBA Mount Rushmore.
Considering that the NBA Mount Rushmore is the top 5 players in NBA history I'd say no, neither is Magic btw.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 10:07:29 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
No issue with what either the NBA or the Clippers did here. 

It's a matter of contrasting interests but I see both sides of the coin here. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team