Author Topic: NBA gives a ridiculous fine to LAC  (Read 4912 times)

NBA gives a ridiculous fine to LAC
« on: November 08, 2019, 03:34:05 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/11/07/clippers-fined-nba-kawhi-leonard-health

Stunned.

I truly can't comprehend the NBA's action to fine the Clips.
It is well known that Kawhi, the NBA's best player, is chronically injured.
NBA must enable his team to manage his health.
That should include the team's ability to change its mind.
NBA is entering some murky waters.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 07:21:30 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: NBA gives a ridiculous fine to LAC
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 04:26:43 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He isn't "chronically Injured"

Players don't get allowed to play injured

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 04:54:37 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
He isn't "chronically Injured"

Players don't get allowed to play injured
Kawhi has a chronic right thigh/tendon injury for years now.

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 05:21:54 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
This is what I don't get... Why can't the Clips just suit him up, say he is available but not play him a single minute... Or put him on minutes restriction on back to backs..

The NBA is right that Kawhi technically is not injured.. He plays almost 35 min. Whenever he plays so that itself says he is healthy... In the 80s players play until their legs come off so players nowadays are babied too much.

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:37:42 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
This is what I don't get... Why can't the Clips just suit him up, say he is available but not play him a single minute... Or put him on minutes restriction on back to backs..

The NBA is right that Kawhi technically is not injured.. He plays almost 35 min. Whenever he plays so that itself says he is healthy... In the 80s players play until their legs come off so players nowadays are babied too much.

Using the 80s an excuse kinda gives more credence to rest. Perhaps if they were babied, Bird and McHale couldve given us more years and several more championships.

Also the Clips fine was basically a fine based on their interpretation of Doc's statement.

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 05:42:14 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Stunned.

I truly can't comprehend the NBA's action to fin the Clips.

The NBA is right and you are WRONG.

NBA is in the entertainment business, and they market the stars and not the teams. KL is marketed as a superstar. He is not injured...he needs to play because he is the marketed product. Play him or give the patrons back their money. You caanot have teams colluding with stars to upset the apple cart. Smart businessmen built this league, these players have no idea. All they see now is millions of dollars pouring in without knowledge of the trust built with fans over the years. I shell out $$ to watch the Clippers play do you think I want to see some scrubs while the star rolls in  decked in a $5,000 suit I am helping pay for and sits on the bench? That is BS and it borders on false advertising. It cheats the fans, it cheats the other teams, and it cheats the other players. It has to stop!!!

By the way 50K is nothing. Fine should be 6-7 figures if you want to restore integrity into the system.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 05:50:22 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 05:54:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If a star isn't injured he should play. Feel bad for people who bought tickets to see that matchup. I tuned off the game knowing there was no KL. So it definitely hurts the NBA when stars sit for load management less than 20 games in. They could have played him 5 mins a quarter and that's a way to rest him.

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 05:56:59 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

Stunned.

NBA is in the entertainment business, and they market the stars and not the teams. KL is marketed as a superstar. He is not injured...he needs to play because he is the marketed product. Play him or give the patrons back their money. You caanot have teams colluding with stars to upset the apple cart. Smart businessmen built this league, these players have no idea. All they see now is millions of dollars pouring in without knowledge of the trust built with fans over the years. I shell out $$ to watch the Clippers play do you think I want to see some scrubs while the star rolls in  decked in a $5,000 suit I am helping pay for and sits on the bench? That is BS and it borders on false advertising. It cheats the fans, it cheats the other teams, and it cheats the other players. It has to stop!!!
I don't think that Raptors fans felt nor feel like were cheated last year.
In fact, I think it is the exact opposite.
1st banner ever.

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 06:03:00 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Stunned.

1st banner ever.

I agree. The Spurs fans are used to it as well. I guess some are just too entitled so its understandable there are differences. Some people value good playoff performances over random regular aeason games.

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 06:19:41 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Stunned.

1st banner ever.

I agree. The Spurs fans are used to it as well. I guess some are just too entitled so its understandable there are differences. Some people value good playoff performances over random regular season games.

It is cheating to rest players. It cheapens the competition. Only a legitimate injury should keep a team from going full strength

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 06:35:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Stunned.

1st banner ever.
Then he should rest only for home games that aren't on national tv. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 06:43:41 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Stunned.

1st banner ever.

That would definitely answer the  cheating the fan issue.... now what about the dilution of competition issue. For example, MIL gets to play Clippers without KL, is that fair to Philly if KL plays against them?

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

Stunned.

1st banner ever.

That would definitely answer the  cheating the fan issue.... now what about the dilution of competition issue. For example, MIL gets to play Clippers without KL, is that fair to Philly if KL plays against them?
Yes, it is fair that teams can't control the actions of other teams, just their own.

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 07:17:53 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
The NBA has stated that Kawhi is injured and the Clips sitting him is consistent with league policy.  The NBA fined them for:

“The NBA has fined the Clippers $50,000 for statements, including by head coach Doc Rivers, that were inconsistent with Leonard's health status.”

The NBA doesn't want the perception out there that healthy players are sitting out games especially nationally televised games.  So if team officials are going to talk about it they better get their language right or else they are going to be fined. 

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 07:26:16 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Stunned.

1st banner ever.
The NBA considers Kawhi injured.  They have their own medical staff do an assessment.  The NBA policy on sitting out games doesn't apply to injured players.  When and if Kawhi is no longer considered injured by the NBA, the Clips resting Kawhi will have to follow league policy.