Author Topic: Why dont we recognize league play with a Trophy  (Read 7616 times)

Re: Why dont we recognize league play with a Trophy
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 04:44:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That is why there should be a trophy for whoever wins the regular season. It takes a different skill set and team to win an 82 game season. We do not honor that in American sports.

League play and the knockout system are two different seasons why isnt league play recognized?

Perhaps if this is done, there will be less incentive for load management and therefore cheating paying fans of true competition across 82 games.

They do in hockey.  It's called the Presidents' Trophy.   

Also, no one takes it seriously.

Exactly. Nobody cares, except the fans of the 1st place club that inevitably chokes in the playoffs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 05:06:26 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This would not create incentive.  A trophy is a piece of metal.  Getting into the playoffs generates revenue for the team, the farther you go, the more revenue.  Can't compete with that with a piece of metal.

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 05:08:22 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I don't think is an American fan thing... I ve never heard of a league with playoffs that the regular season winner means anything more than hca
It does in my fantasy football league  ;)

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 05:40:08 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
The only thing that would make a difference is cut the # of playoff teams from each conference to 4.

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2019, 05:57:27 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The only thing that would make a difference is cut the # of playoff teams from each conference to 4.
Will never happen, lost revenue.

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2019, 06:02:38 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I wouldn't care about trophies given for good seeding.

Should F1 give a trophy to formula 1 pilots with the best pole positions during the year?

I wouldn't care for that meaningless trophy, It would look like just another trophy inflation.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2019, 06:24:44 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Should F1 give a trophy to formula 1 pilots with the best pole positions during the year?

I wouldn't care for that meaningless trophy, It would look like just another trophy inflation.

It is obvious from cheating KL that playing a whole season is too much for him. Therefore it takes a different skill set to compete in league play. K KL is only built for the playoffs. L is the perfect reason why Regular season success deserves its  own recognition. Lets see which teams can actually  survive the brutal 82 game regular season schedule.

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 06:30:23 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

It is obvious from cheating KL that playing a whole season is too much for him. Therefore it takes a different skill set to compete in league play. K KL is only built for the playoffs. L is the perfect reason why Regular season success deserves its  own recognition. Lets see which teams can actually  survive the brutal 82 game regular season schedule.
Throw in a preseason and best team in the first round of the PO trophy while you are at it. Maybe even some smaller looking monthly championship trophies. October trophy sounds prestigious.

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Throw in a preseason and best team in the first round of the PO trophy while you are at it. Maybe even some smaller looking monthly championship trophies. October trophy sounds prestigious.

I just dont know why you do not appreciate the difference between a league play competition and a knockout competition. League competition is more exhaustive than knockout competition.  With league competition you are tested over an entire season and get to play all other teams. In knockout competition you avoid a whole lot of teams and may get very lucky with match ups and injuries JUST like Last season with Durant and Klay going down in the playoffs. You think Raptors get an asterisk? You do not think KL got an advantage over all else by sitting out 22 games in reg season?

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 07:04:07 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Holy Participation Award, Batman!!!!!!

Nope, they should not have them in the big boy sports,  only the champions get them.  This is not grade school.   We already have a ton of people thinking they are special, when they are not in this country, and sports in general because of this mindset.

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 07:07:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I just dont know why you do not appreciate the difference between a league play competition and a knockout competition. League competition is more exhaustive than knockout competition.  With league competition you are tested over an entire season and get to play all other teams. In knockout competition you avoid a whole lot of teams and may get very lucky with match ups and injuries JUST like Last season with Durant and Klay going down in the playoffs. You think Raptors get an asterisk? You do not think KL got an advantage over all else by sitting out 22 games in reg season?
I see the regular season as a preseason for the playoffs.
Kinda like Fridays and Saturdays in Formula 1. Playoffs are Sundays, time when championships are being decided.
Good pole position can surely help you to achieve good results in the actual race but they aren't that decisive.

Tanking bothers me much more as teams are trying to be worse for the sake of being worse.
Whereas when teams are resting players they are worse for the sake of being better when it matters the most.

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 07:34:52 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Kinda like Fridays and Saturdays in Formula 1. Playoffs are Sundays, time when championships are being decided.
Good pole position can surely help you to achieve good results in the actual race but they aren't that decisive.

Tanking bothers me much more as teams are trying to be worse for the sake of being worse.
Whereas when teams are resting players they are worse for the sake of being better when it matters the most.

You think the regular season is pre-season for the playoffs? Apart from basketball and Formula 1 do you follow any other sports?

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2019, 07:41:08 AM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Regular season success vs playoff success is like trying to compare marathon runners to sprinters.  They are both impressive for different reasons, though for some reason we tend to put more value on sprinters.  I think people are far too dismissive of regular season results.  There is something to be said for the law of large numbers.

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2019, 07:46:41 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
Regular season success vs playoff success is like trying to compare marathon runners to sprinters.  They are both impressive for different reasons, though for some reason we tend to put more value on sprinters.  I think people are far too dismissive of regular season results.  There is something to be said for the law of large numbers.

TP!

Very well stated ...time to recognize the marathon runners. KL has proved he is not a marathon player. That is okay nothing wrong with that, but it should be noted.

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 07:49:28 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

You think the regular season is pre-season for the playoffs? Apart from basketball and Formula 1 do you follow any other sports?
You think the regular season is pre-season for the playoffs?
Yes I wrote that just a bit upwards.
You can be 16th best team in the regular season and still walk away with the ring on your finger.

Apart from basketball and Formula 1 do you follow any other sports?
Yes, I do, Football, Handball, Chess, Track and Field, Tennis, Boxing, and from time to time others aswell.

Why are you trying to discredit me?
C'mon.
I am not offensive toward you, I just formed a different opinion based on the same info you have.