Author Topic: Opinion: The Bucks are in Trouble  (Read 16171 times)

Re: Opinion: The Bucks are in Trouble
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2019, 06:20:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
I agree with the OP about the defense. Last year they were stifling and that helped them win as many games as they did. If what we saw last night was indicative of their defense the rest of the year they are not the best team in the east like I thought going into the season.
They weren't really stifling last year, either. They were just pretty good on D, apart from their shot blocking.

They were successful because they were the highest scoring team in the league. But they've lost their 2nd best all around offensive player from last year's team, and adding a few jag veterans doesn't replace him. I think losing Brogdon is going to turn out to be a bigger deal than it was played up through the offseason.

The worst part about letting Brogdon go is that they did it because the gave that big contract to Bledsoe. If I was a Bucks fan I would be so sick over that! The Bucks are still a top squad and it's too early in the season to tell anything....

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2019, 07:12:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
I agree with the OP about the defense. Last year they were stifling and that helped them win as many games as they did. If what we saw last night was indicative of their defense the rest of the year they are not the best team in the east like I thought going into the season.
They weren't really stifling last year, either. They were just pretty good on D, apart from their shot blocking.

They were successful because they were the highest scoring team in the league. But they've lost their 2nd best all around offensive player from last year's team, and adding a few jag veterans doesn't replace him. I think losing Brogdon is going to turn out to be a bigger deal than it was played up through the offseason.

The worst part about letting Brogdon go is that they did it because the gave that big contract to Bledsoe. If I was a Bucks fan I would be so sick over that! The Bucks are still a top squad and it's too early in the season to tell anything....

they dumped the wrong guy

« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Read the Bucks forum. This is exactly what they are saying.

« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2019, 07:36:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555

The Bucks had the best defensive rating in the league last season. 

« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2019, 07:37:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
nm
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2019, 07:59:32 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 879
  • GOT IT!!!
Everyone now has a year of tape on this Bucks team and they took a step back in terms of the roster. They'll be good but once they missed some shots they kinda folded last night. That Brogdon trade is looking pretty bad with the way Bledsoe is playing.

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2019, 08:08:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186

Read the Bucks forum. This is exactly what they are saying.

Those Bucks fans are right!  ::)

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2019, 08:19:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3013
  • On To Banner 18!
I still think the Bucks are one of the best teams in the East. If we're being honest, I do think the East is still open though. MIL and PHI are still the Top-2, but unlike last year with Kawhi's Raptors and the years past with Lebron's Cavs, I don't see a clear cut favorite in the East. Even the C's remain in the mix.

Could ultimately be determined by injuries, and in-season acquisitions/signings.

I am a little surprised the Pacers are 1-3 so far, but we're only 4 games in. Raptors though without Kawhi still look really good.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2019, 08:27:34 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
maybe not totally a good fit in this thread, but what the heck.

Dan Greenberg

@StoolGreenie
Celtics defense against Giannis:

Semi: guarded him 51% of the time, 2 points (1-2)
Smart: guarded him 32% of the time, 5 points (1-2)
Theis: guarded him 14.5% of the time, 9 points (4-5)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2019, 08:29:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Dan Greenberg

@StoolGreenie

So in other words, keep Theis the hell away from him! ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2019, 08:33:08 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
It depends on what 'in trouble' means. If it means they're probably not competing for a championship this year then I agree. They're probably slightly downgraded from what they were last year.

They are still really tough though.

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2019, 08:59:11 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
It depends on what 'in trouble' means. If it means they're probably not competing for a championship this year then I agree. They're probably slightly downgraded from what they were last year.

They are still really tough though.

They lost Malcolm Brogdon. But they should be fine with Khris Middleton being their second best player on the team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2019, 09:00:19 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
I still think the Bucks are one of the best teams in the East. If we're being honest, I do think the East is still open though. MIL and PHI are still the Top-2, but unlike last year with Kawhi's Raptors and the years past with Lebron's Cavs, I don't see a clear cut favorite in the East. Even the C's remain in the mix.

Could ultimately be determined by injuries, and in-season acquisitions/signings.

I am a little surprised the Pacers are 1-3 so far, but we're only 4 games in. Raptors though without Kawhi still look really good.

This year's Raptors will be like last year's Celtics. Good enough for maybe a 4 or 5 seed and get bounced in the first round. Can't see them competing far without Kawhi Leonard.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2019, 09:15:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555

Dan Greenberg

@StoolGreenie

And then there's the other 2.5% when he scored 6 points. 

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2019, 09:31:01 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2538

Dan Greenberg

@StoolGreenie

And then there's the other 2.5% when he scored 6 points.

Bucks looked awfully tough that first half.  I wouldn't sleep on them.  If I thought for real that Semi is a true Freak Stopper, I'd be pretty invested in not losing him.  I know a lot here aren't that high on him given his limitations. But if he has emerged as a serious momentum stopper of some teams' number 1  I think there is huge value there. Fun seeing he and Smart on the court together defensively in short stints.