Author Topic: Bjelica is available, should the Cs look at him?  (Read 2878 times)

Bjelica is available, should the Cs look at him?
« on: January 23, 2021, 08:25:37 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Re: Bjelica is available, should the Cs look at him?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 08:27:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Not worth much. He'd be a nice 3rd string PF behind Semi but we already have Grant Williams for that. It would be nice to have the option of Bjelica's shooting as an alternative as a bench PF but ... it is not an easy fit. He is not enough of an upgrade to justify jettisoning a young player (G-Will) over.

That is a no for me.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 08:35:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don’t think so.  We’re trying to stay under the luxury tax, and his salary exceeds his production.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 10:38:46 PM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Wasn’t really familiar with his game so looked at some highlights. He might be worth a shot . He’s big and can shoot.If Danny already knows we aren’t doing anything with the trade exemption , he’s a definite smaybe. Cut Wentz.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 11:00:41 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I'm watching the Sacramento game now (Barnes and Holmes are out) and Bjelica is playing pretty well. He fits Danny's wishlist for a big who can shoot. He has 13&7 at the half with a three and a steal. Not bad.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:09:31 PM by radiohead »

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2021, 03:57:53 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
If nothing else materializes, I wouldn't be against dumping Thompson to the Kings for Bjelica. Let's say we get a second rounder as well.

I'm not a fan of Thompson's game. His only useful offensive skill is offensive rebounding which might be a double-edged sword sometimes cause it jeopardizes our transition defense. Obviously, Bjelica ain't as good a defender as Thompson, but he spaces the floor, plus he's a nice passer at the PF position. Fwiw, he fits Danny's criteria for ''shooting with size''.

Give Grant's minutes to Bjelica. Give Thompson's minutes to Theis/Timelord/Grant.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 04:12:28 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 09:35:12 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I don’t think so.  We’re trying to stay under the luxury tax, and his salary exceeds his production.

Not unless you can dump Thompson for him. And I would rather not use a piece of the Hayward TPE on him (I think Ainge has always planned to try to use the whole $28.5MM this summer to S&T a Free Agent unless an amazing trade deadline opportunity materialized).

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 09:36:48 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
If nothing else materializes, I wouldn't be against dumping Thompson to the Kings for Bjelica. Let's say we get a second rounder as well.

I'm not a fan of Thompson's game. His only useful offensive skill is offensive rebounding which might be a double-edged sword sometimes cause it jeopardizes our transition defense. Obviously, Bjelica ain't as good a defender as Thompson, but he spaces the floor, plus he's a nice passer at the PF position. Fwiw, he fits Danny's criteria for ''shooting with size''.

Give Grant's minutes to Bjelica. Give Thompson's minutes to Theis/Timelord/Grant.

I'm completely OK with this (as I assume most are) including your rationale on minutes. Reducing Grant's role is a nice fringe benefit of the deal.

Not sure you can hope to get that 2nd rounder. I'd do the deal without it.

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 09:47:24 AM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
I think Kings are the most realistic trade partner but it won’t be for Bjelica.

Would love to see Harrison Barnes and Richaun Holmes

Their pick of a combo Thompson/Langford/Neismith/pick/cash/TPE.

Not sure kings would want to deal Holmes but he would be a much better upgrade from TT.

Going to have to over pay a bit and those 2 guys won’t put us to a championship team. But much better basketball and advancing past the 1st round is better than current.

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 09:51:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I am highly reluctant to trade Tristan Thompson because I do not trust Rob Williams health. That guy gets too many injuries. I want to keep Thompson around.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 02:11:59 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Bumping this since Shams reported that we're interested in him.

Here's a slightly different idea.

Hopefully, the Kings are high on Edwards. His advanced stats are pretty solid this season.

C's depth chart after the trade

PG: Kemba - Pritchard - Teague
SG: Smart - Romeo - Green
SF: Brown - Semi - Nesmith
PF: Tatum - Bjelica - Grant
C: Holmes - Theis - Timelord

We could aslo use Bjelica at Center. I mean, he'd be a nice fit in our offensive system, but he ain't mobile enough to guard small ball PFs. Fwiw, he has played 14% of his minutes at Center this season. The respective number for last season was 19%.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 02:24:37 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Hopefully, the Kings are high on Edwards. His advanced stats are pretty solid this season.

We could aslo use Bjelica at Center. I mean, he'd be a nice fit in our offensive system, but he ain't mobile enough to guard small ball PFs. Fwiw, he has played 14% of his minutes at Center this season. The respective number for last season was 19%.

I like this idea a lot.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 02:33:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The Kings are mismanaged, but not *that* mismanaged.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes