Author Topic: Place your offer for Victor Oladipo  (Read 7896 times)

Re: Place your offer for Victor Oladipo
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Oladipo is a very good player. He is like last year's version of Jaylen Brown good. In a normal market, he is probably worth Brown money or maybe, or so slightly more. But, in next year's market, with most of the big names re-signing this year, so not available, and lots of teams with bunches of cap space, Dipo is probably going to be offered a max contract.

Is he worth that to the Celtics, who would need to re-sign him after trading for him? They're going to go into the luxury tax for the next two seasons no matter what unless they salary dump Kemba, which won't happen. Re-signing Oladipo after trading for him probably means repeater tax status as soon as possible.

Again, is he worth it? Does he put the team over the top and into instant contender status? Will he even re-sign here given the report he wants to play for Miami? And if not, does it make sense to make the trade in the first place?

If Ainge could land Oladipo for Theis and Edwards and an unprotected future 1st...or Nesmith and Langford and a lottery protected future 1st...and Dipo agrees to extend before the trade, then I do it. I don't see the trade being worth using that TPE for a rental that won't agree to extend and has said he wants to play in Miami next year.

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2021, 10:30:22 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I can say that I did have some interest in him when it was in context of getting him back for losing Hayward or getting nothing.  It didn't involve giving up other players or picks; we were losing Hayward anyway.  The analysis was get back something for Hayward or get back nothing but have more flexibility to sign other players (that ended up being Thompson and Teague more or less).

Now it is trade Theis and picks or Langford and Nesmith?  I am far less interested in him in this context.  I think we need Theis, he has value, he is the closest thing we have to an actual starting level NBA PF.  Bottom line, I don't think there is an offer.  I say we just keep out of this one.  I hate to see him go to Miami but I think we need to just let it go.

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2021, 10:47:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m surprised by how lukewarm people are on the possibility, if the price was cheap.

To me, he is a perfect fit on our team.

Thompson or Timelord
Tatum
Brown
Oladipo / Smart
Kemba

We are talking about a guy who, before his injury, was both All-NBA and All-Defense.  This year, he is putting up 20/6/4.

The upside here is a legitimate shot at a title. He’s the type of guy that you go into the luxury tax for (next season), and he’s the type of guy you surrender role players for without question.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2021, 11:00:59 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
At the last moment before the deadline, I could see the move for him but I would not throw in Theis.  If he has to be moved for salary purposes, find a team that wants him that will send back a future asset.   

I like the player and like the fit.   The problem is it is just a rental.  There is a lot of money out there that has to be spent by teams, and I don't think the Celtics can or will match it. 

Maybe a sign and trade for another TPE, but the Celtics are using alot of future assets around those things. 

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2021, 11:03:00 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I’m surprised by how lukewarm people are on the possibility, if the price was cheap.

Thompson or Timelord
Tatum
Brown
Oladipo / Smart
Kemba

We are talking about a guy who, before his injury, was both All-NBA and All-Defense.  This year, he is putting up 20/6/4.

The upside here is a legitimate shot at a title. He’s the type of guy that you go into the luxury tax for (next season), and he’s the type of guy you surrender role players for without question.
He is also a guy that is a rental and wants to play in Miami. His own teammates in Indy heard Oladipo talking to Miami players about joining that team. So it's pretty easy to understand the less than lukewarm response to trading for Dipo.

I will say, I think he would be a great addition and if he would sign here, I would be okay with giving him 4 years/$120 million. I think giving a core of Kemba, Smart, Oladipo, Brown, Tatum and Pritchard a three year window to win it all could result in a title.

I am convinced he wants to be elsewhere, so I wouldn't waste the TPE on him. I think a lot of others feel the same way.

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I wouldn’t be against adding Oladipo because when healthy he is a good two way player who can also handle the ball/create. His addition would push Smart to the bench and would give the Cs three quality defenders on the wings.

Issue here is he a rental and will no doubt get maxed out in the summer by some team. I’m not sure the Cs would be willing to do that. Then again, they legit offered Hayward like $110 million so who knows.

Also have to factor in Oladipo’s mentality and willingness to acquiesce to sharing the ball with Tatum/Brown/Kemba as well. Think he wants to be the guy or like a #2 and he won’t be that in Boston.

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2021, 11:16:01 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Can we get him for the TPE?

This guy would be a PERFECT fit. He can shoot, defend, create and he plays a position where we need depth. I’d start him over Smart, easily, even when Kemba comes back.

Kemba/Dipo/Brown/Tatum/Thompson
Bench: Pritchard, Smart, Theis

That’s a scary good starting lineup with a pretty good bench too.
- LilRip

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2021, 11:23:30 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Thompson or Timelord
Tatum
Brown
Oladipo / Smart
Kemba

He is also a guy that is a rental and wants to play in Miami. His own teammates in Indy heard Oladipo talking to Miami players about joining that team. So it's pretty easy to understand the less than lukewarm response to trading for Dipo.

I will say, I think he would be a great addition and if he would sign here, I would be okay with giving him 4 years/$120 million. I think giving a core of Kemba, Smart, Oladipo, Brown, Tatum and Pritchard a three year window to win it all could result in a title.

I am convinced he wants to be elsewhere, so I wouldn't waste the TPE on him. I think a lot of others feel the same way.

TP. Seems like he's already in Miami in his mind.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2021, 11:54:06 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Thompson or Timelord
Tatum
Brown
Oladipo / Smart
Kemba

Sometimes these reports are true, sometimes they aren’t.  It’s a situation where you need to sit down with his agent and at least see if he will promise the team to match any offer in free agency.

To be able to sign Oladipo, the Heat would have to renounce all of their free agents and team options, and even then they couldn’t offer a full max I believe.

Bam
Precious
Butler
Oladipo
Herro

... with KZ Okpala off the bench.  That would be the entirety of their team. They would have to renounce Dragic, Iguodala, Leonard and Bradley.  Robinson and Nunn are restricted free agents.  The heat could probably afford their qualifying offers, but it would again cut into Oladipo’s.

* It looks like Duncan Robinson’s cap hold is around $4.7 million and Nunn’s is $2.3 million.  So, at that point you are asking Oladipo to play for less than $30 million per year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2021, 11:58:23 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Thompson or Timelord
Tatum
Brown
Oladipo / Smart
Kemba

Sometimes these reports are true, sometimes they aren’t.  It’s a situation where you need to sit down with his agent and at least see if he will promise the team to match any offer in free agency.

To be able to sign Oladipo, the Heat would have to renounce all of their free agents and team options, and even then they couldn’t offer a full max I believe.

Bam
Precious
Butler
Oladipo
Herro

... with KZ Okpala off the bench.  That would be the entirety of their team. They would have to renounce Dragic, Iguodala, Leonard and Bradley.  Robinson and Nunn are restricted free agents.  The heat could probably afford their qualifying offers, but it would again cut into Oladipo’s.

* It looks like Duncan Robinson’s cap hold is around $4.7 million and Nunn’s is $2.3 million.  So, at that point you are asking Oladipo to play for less than $30 million per year.

Or depending on Pat Riley's appetite for him, they could trade for him next month when their recent signees are eligible to be traded. Not sure what they're pick situation is, but they could send a 1st + Olynyk's expiring + Myers Leonard (who is non-guaranteed next season). That'd give Houston another pick to add to their war chest and still clears salary from their books in the offseason.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2021, 12:08:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Thompson or Timelord
Tatum
Brown
Oladipo / Smart
Kemba

Bam
Precious
Butler
Oladipo
Herro

Or depending on Pat Riley's appetite for him, they could trade for him next month when their recent signees are eligible to be traded. Not sure what they're pick situation is, but they could send a 1st + Olynyk's expiring + Myers Leonard (who is non-guaranteed next season). That'd give Houston another pick to add to their war chest and still clears salary from their books in the offseason.

Correct, but if they don’t trade for him, it doesn’t make a ton of sense for them to sign him in free agency unless they are completely gutting their team.  And even trading is hard for them, as they do not own their 2021 or 2023 first rounders.

And, if it comes down to a trade, our TPE is more attractive than expiring contracts.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:16:02 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2021, 12:19:02 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
It is more then Miami out there that could sign him.   How many teams were loading up on cap space for this offseason to only see the top choices come off the board?

Money will have to be spent. 

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
It is more then Miami out there that could sign him.   How many teams were loading up on cap space for this offseason to only see the top choices come off the board?

True, but we would offer him a winning situation, a desirable franchise, and could in theory offer him more money than any other team.  That would all depend on how well he fits in of course. If he was a disaster, then we are out the TPE (which presumably could be recovered in a S&T to Dipo’s new team and a late first rounder.

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 12:50:51 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

True, but we would offer him a winning situation, a desirable franchise, and could in theory offer him more money than any other team.  That would all depend on how well he fits in of course. If he was a disaster, then we are out the TPE (which presumably could be recovered in a S&T to Dipo’s new team and a late first rounder.

Didn't we say that with Hayward and Horford? 

I am not fully against the move, just against paying a lot at this point. 

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 12:56:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Didn't we say that with Hayward and Horford? 

I am not fully against the move, just against paying a lot at this point.

True. We just need to trust Danny to know when to say no regarding financial situations. I didn’t fault him with either Al or Hayward, both of whom seemed to get overpaid.

I do agree though, we should only pursue him if the price is right. I personally would not give up Langford or Nesmith.  But, pending FA Theis, a #1 and two #2s for a two-way all-star?  For sure.