Author Topic: Patriots trade Garoppolo  (Read 9156 times)

Re: Patriots trade Garrapolo
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 12:09:38 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
CONSPIRACY THEORY:

- Patriots trade JG10 for a 2018 2nd rounder

- Patriots re-sign JG10 either this offseason, OR in 2019 (since he gets franchised by SF in 2018).

Oh man that would be awesome  ;D

OTHERWISE, I have no clue why this move was made and wonder if someone slipped something into Belichick's drink or something...  ???  :P

Anyways, SIGN KAP!

Another reason to hate the Patriots...because of Kap right  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 01:42:53 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Niner fan here. Thank you very much.

This trade means we are now in the running for Saquon Barkley.
You're welcome, my friend. We are in the running for Superbowl wins 6 and 7 over the next two years, so enjoy Saquon Barkley.😉😄

I'm a Pats fan.. but I want Saquon Barkley too  :(
Hot take alert!

Barkley is overrated.

Josh Adams and the kid from Stanford are both better.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 02:30:17 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
CONSPIRACY THEORY:

- Patriots trade JG10 for a 2018 2nd rounder

- Patriots re-sign JG10 either this offseason, OR in 2019 (since he gets franchised by SF in 2018).

Oh man that would be awesome  ;D

OTHERWISE, I have no clue why this move was made and wonder if someone slipped something into Belichick's drink or something...  ???  :P

Anyways, SIGN KAP!

Another reason to hate the Patriots...because of Kap right  ;D
Meh. The 49ers released Hoyer, so bar someone claiming him he's probably coming back here.

Also, according to Schefter, the move was made because the team and the player were far apart on contract details and it was the best the Patriots could do right now. They gambled and lost I guess.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 05:59:51 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Lol sign Kap to screw with league for more pay back.

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 06:39:50 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Hey I hope you guys don't win a game either, but I'm curious as to why you think this helps you with those odds. Trading an early second round pick for Jimmy G makes you less likely if anything to get Saquan.

Edit: Unless you mean you don't need a QB, so its all about Saquan. Then I'm with you haha.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:48:28 AM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 08:50:11 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Hey I hope you guys don't win a game either, but I'm curious as to why you think this helps you with those odds. Trading an early second round pick for Jimmy G makes you less likely if anything to get Saquan.

Jimmy G might not play for another 2 weeks, that could easily put us to 0-10. And even if we play him, the O-Line in front of him is still suspect that he might not have a good showing.

We should still be in line for a top pick, maybe the top, and with Garropolo on board, that tells me that we won't draft a QB for that pick anymore, and instead use it to maybe reinforce the line.

Unless of course, Saquon Barkley is available, that should be a no brainer. Kid is special.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 12:27:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/bill-belichick-addresses-why-patriots-traded-jimmy-garoppolo

Wow. The only other time I've heard Bill talk about a player like this is when they had to trade Wilfork.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.weei.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/bill-belichick-addresses-why-patriots-traded-jimmy-garoppolo

Wow. The only other time I've heard Bill talk about a player like this is when they had to trade Wilfork.
High praise by Belichick.

Obviously Bill didn't want to get into the financial implications of the trade by declining questions.

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2017, 02:03:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

High praise by Belichick.

Obviously Bill didn't want to get into the financial implications of the trade by declining questions.
I think it's pretty clear that the team couldn't afford to pay him $20+ million. I'm guessing they offered something closer to Brady's number ($14 million next season), but Garoppolo didn't bite. Can't really blame him, but it's disappointing because he looked like he could be the next great thing.

Re: Patriots trade Garoppolo
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2017, 08:26:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Browns offered their 2nd and 3rd for AJ McCarron. The deal was agreed to, but submitted late.

Why not make that same offer for Jimmy G? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The Browns offered their 2nd and 3rd for AJ McCarron. The deal was agreed to, but submitted late.

Peter King on WEEI this afternoon theorized that the front office of the Patriots respected Jimmy G so much they decided they wouldn't trade him to the pit of a franchise that the Browns are.

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2017, 08:36:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Peter King on WEEI this afternoon theorized that the front office of the Patriots respected Jimmy G so much they decided they wouldn't trade him to the pit of a franchise that the Browns are.

Interesting. Does that make Bill Belichick less ruthless / more sentimental than Ainge?

It’s an interesting debate: do you always take max value in trade, or do you look out for your players to maintain relationships?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Interesting. Does that make Bill Belichick less ruthless / more sentimental than Ainge?

It’s an interesting debate: do you always take max value in trade, or do you look out for your players to maintain relationships?
Good questions.

I think Belichick is still the most ruthless, "what's best for business" GM in sports.

As for the second question, I think it depends on the quality of the player and agent.

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2017, 09:45:32 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

If this is true, it shows what Belichick thought of Jamie Collins.

I think the 35th pick (or so) is an ok return. We won't know until draft day, as the pick could be moved for a player and/or other picks.

They weren't going to pay Jimmy G. I sure hope the 2nd rounder has a high impact, and I hope they come up w a decent insurance option at QB.

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2018, 01:41:15 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
According to WEEI, Jimmy Garoppolo is about to sign an extension with the 49ers for 5 years and $137.5 million, and become the highest paid player in the NFL.