Author Topic: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)  (Read 23497 times)

Re: Porzingis injury updates (soleus strain)
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2024, 01:32:25 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Celtics star Kristaps Porzingis said he’s week to week with his soleus strain and that there’s no specific date he’s targeting for his return.

“It’s something, it’s not nothing, you know?” Porzingis told reporters Saturday. “It will take a little bit of time, for sure.”

He said this calf injury is stronger than the one he suffered during the regular season and will take a bit longer.

“It’s still pretty early,” Porzingis told reporters. “I think it will be clearer once I start doing more stuff.”

Porzingis said he rolled his ankle and may have been compensating for that when he injured his calf. He said the injury isn’t as bad as he initially thought, or as bad as it could have been, but he’s “not super close yet.”

He is, however, making strides and “expecting to recover at a historic rate.” He hopes to travel with the team this series.

“Each day, a lot of progress,” Porzingis told reporters. “It’s still very fresh, but making progress.”

Porzingis said he’s doing everything he can to return as quickly as possible, while also ensuring he listens to the medical staff and follows their guidelines.

He’s not on the floor yet, but he expects to start “doing stuff” very soon.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #151 on: May 04, 2024, 01:58:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
Celtics star Kristaps Porzingis said he’s week to week with his soleus strain and that there’s no specific date he’s targeting for his return.

“It’s something, it’s not nothing, you know?” Porzingis told reporters Saturday. “It will take a little bit of time, for sure.”

He said this calf injury is stronger than the one he suffered during the regular season and will take a bit longer.

“It’s still pretty early,” Porzingis told reporters. “I think it will be clearer once I start doing more stuff.”

Porzingis said he rolled his ankle and may have been compensating for that when he injured his calf. He said the injury isn’t as bad as he initially thought, or as bad as it could have been, but he’s “not super close yet.”

He is, however, making strides and “expecting to recover at a historic rate.” He hopes to travel with the team this series.

“Each day, a lot of progress,” Porzingis told reporters. “It’s still very fresh, but making progress.”

Porzingis said he’s doing everything he can to return as quickly as possible, while also ensuring he listens to the medical staff and follows their guidelines.

You were correct , the initial rolled ankle resulted in over compensation and over stressing the calf .

Sounds about as hopeful as can expect.

Jays need to go to work

« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2024, 02:00:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745

Good stuff.

So how long was he out with the calf injury in the regular season?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2024, 02:06:52 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1781
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I didn't see this in the excerpt above. This is from Jared Weiss - not the greatest added news.

Kristaps Porziņģis says his calf injury is, “Something. Not nothing.” He said he will have to progress smartly to ensure he doesn’t reaggravate the injury. He experienced this injury earlier this year but said this one was “Worse for sure.”

« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2024, 02:07:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!

Good stuff.

11 days, and honestly I think he could have even come back earlier but they were cautious since it was only regular season. 3-4 weeks feels like a good, realistic timeline for KP and he's already about a week removed since the injury. Maybe 2-3 more? Worst case, 4-5 weeks and a return in the Finals if they make it.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2024, 02:19:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Good stuff.

11 days, and honestly I think he could have even come back earlier but they were cautious since it was only regular season. 3-4 weeks feels like a good, realistic timeline for KP and he's already about a week removed since the injury. Maybe 2-3 more? Worst case, 4-5 weeks and a return in the Finals if they make it.
Hopefully Indy and NY have a nice, long series.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2024, 03:20:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja
here is an interesting and informative post on porzingis' injury:

fiskful of dollars said:
A coupe of things about calf injuries: [DISCLAIMER: I'n no DRS]

As radsox has ably pointed out, the grading of soft tissue injuries is difficult.
When the gastrocnemius or soleus muscles are injured the muscle fibers are torn and begin to bleed into the posterior lower leg compartment. These injuries become increasingly common with age, especially during explosive physical activities like sprinting, jumping, etc. Most data come from European soccer/rugby and tennis related injuries. However, the physiology is the same. One of the reasons the recovery time can be so variable is (naturally) the severity of the tearing forces applied to the muscle. The soleus muscle is a flat (hence the name - it looks like a flatfish/filet of sole) muscle that lies just below and beneath the larger gastroc (calf) muscle. Often determining WHICH muscle is affected can be a bit difficult. Generally, as you engage these muscles, a straight leg stretch will engage the gastroc and a bent leg stretch will engage the soleus - but that is not always determinative. KP will undoubtedly get an MRI to grade and identify the actual injury. Another confounding factor is the healing process. Once the muscle fibers are injured, there is bleeding. Sometimes this is visible as bruising on the skin- that's a sign of a severe tear. No matter what, there is some bleeding and inflammation. That has to be mitigated - usually with ice, compression and elevation with anti-inflammatory meds. The healing process - paradoxically - can actually be a bit counter productive (initially) which make the recovery unpredictable. Re-injures are super common.

Here's why: As the fibrinogen healing matrix begins to form across the injury, the lattice work of healing fibers are laid down perpendicular to the normal orientation of the healthy muscle fibers. The musculature of the gastroc and soleus run cranial/caudal (north/south), the healing matrix and scar tissue are laid down cross-wise in opposition to patch the wound and deliver blood and healing nutrients to the injury. During healing, these structures are easily re-injured, especially with any sig load placed on the muscle. So...after 48-72 hours of ice and conservative management, therapists will actually break down the scar tissue by massaging (massaging...more like grinding) the fibers in a north/south direction to break up the scar tissue and allow the muscle fibers to re-orient themselves in a physiological distribution. It's a bit of a race between healing and breaking down scar tissue...all the while hoping the muscle heals well enough to support any load. The injured fibers are weak and prone to re-injury when loaded, even once pain is gone. That makes recovery and return to play extremely unpredictable. By breaking down the scar tissue, blood flow improves and healing is more rapid. The physical therapy sessions should help to speed up his recovery. When I have a calf injury - common in middle age runners - I take a metal bar and grind it up and down my calf to accomplish the same result. It's called the Grafton technique. Yes, it hurts. There is no real correlation of this type of injury w/ an Achilles tear unless the tendon itself was injured as well. Seems unlikely. There is always some correlation between age and Achilles injuries but KPs injury seems to be isolated to the soleus/gastroc muscle complex and, as such, does NOT indicate a potential Achilles injury is more/less likely. Get well soon!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2024, 03:20:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja
here is an interesting and informative post on SoSh about porzingis' injury:

fiskful of dollars said:
A coupe of things about calf injuries: [DISCLAIMER: I'n no DRS]

As radsox has ably pointed out, the grading of soft tissue injuries is difficult.
When the gastrocnemius or soleus muscles are injured the muscle fibers are torn and begin to bleed into the posterior lower leg compartment. These injuries become increasingly common with age, especially during explosive physical activities like sprinting, jumping, etc. Most data come from European soccer/rugby and tennis related injuries. However, the physiology is the same. One of the reasons the recovery time can be so variable is (naturally) the severity of the tearing forces applied to the muscle. The soleus muscle is a flat (hence the name - it looks like a flatfish/filet of sole) muscle that lies just below and beneath the larger gastroc (calf) muscle. Often determining WHICH muscle is affected can be a bit difficult. Generally, as you engage these muscles, a straight leg stretch will engage the gastroc and a bent leg stretch will engage the soleus - but that is not always determinative. KP will undoubtedly get an MRI to grade and identify the actual injury. Another confounding factor is the healing process. Once the muscle fibers are injured, there is bleeding. Sometimes this is visible as bruising on the skin- that's a sign of a severe tear. No matter what, there is some bleeding and inflammation. That has to be mitigated - usually with ice, compression and elevation with anti-inflammatory meds. The healing process - paradoxically - can actually be a bit counter productive (initially) which make the recovery unpredictable. Re-injures are super common.

Here's why: As the fibrinogen healing matrix begins to form across the injury, the lattice work of healing fibers are laid down perpendicular to the normal orientation of the healthy muscle fibers. The musculature of the gastroc and soleus run cranial/caudal (north/south), the healing matrix and scar tissue are laid down cross-wise in opposition to patch the wound and deliver blood and healing nutrients to the injury. During healing, these structures are easily re-injured, especially with any sig load placed on the muscle. So...after 48-72 hours of ice and conservative management, therapists will actually break down the scar tissue by massaging (massaging...more like grinding) the fibers in a north/south direction to break up the scar tissue and allow the muscle fibers to re-orient themselves in a physiological distribution. It's a bit of a race between healing and breaking down scar tissue...all the while hoping the muscle heals well enough to support any load. The injured fibers are weak and prone to re-injury when loaded, even once pain is gone. That makes recovery and return to play extremely unpredictable. By breaking down the scar tissue, blood flow improves and healing is more rapid. The physical therapy sessions should help to speed up his recovery. When I have a calf injury - common in middle age runners - I take a metal bar and grind it up and down my calf to accomplish the same result. It's called the Grafton technique. Yes, it hurts. There is no real correlation of this type of injury w/ an Achilles tear unless the tendon itself was injured as well. Seems unlikely. There is always some correlation between age and Achilles injuries but KPs injury seems to be isolated to the soleus/gastroc muscle complex and, as such, does NOT indicate a potential Achilles injury is more/less likely. Get well soon!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2024, 03:41:31 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 376

Good stuff.

11 days and technically murray is playing on one right now.

« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2024, 12:06:39 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 564
I think the way the bracket has broken they can afford to be very cautious with him. Whichever of Cavaliers/Orlando they end up getting the C's should be able to beta without KP, especially because the rest of the team will be rested while the Cavs/Magin will be coming off a grueling 7 game series.

Then you get either Knicks or Pacers next round, and again I think they could win that without KP. Obviously all series are easier with him, but the C's will still be favored without him against anyone left in the East.

« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2024, 06:34:28 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
https://youtu.be/1iYCoXJDbP4?si=sq6_WrETuhEd1B6w

didn't realize he was at practice walking around. has to be a good sign its not as bad as giannis injury, no?

« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2024, 06:47:12 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978

didn't realize he was at practice walking around. has to be a good sign its not as bad as giannis injury, no?

I’m guessing we won’t see him suited to play for a couple weeks . Overall it doesn’t appear as severe as Giannis s injury. Fingers crossed. Short guys have to carry the load .

« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2024, 06:51:32 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

I’m guessing we won’t see him suited to play for a couple weeks . Overall it doesn’t appear as severe as Giannis s injury. Fingers crossed. Short guys have to carry the load .

oh probably not. the average return time for this injury is 17 days. he said this is worse than the one earlier in the season. so by game 1 we are at 8 days. by ECF should be 3 weeks.

people love using Giannis as a barometer. but that seems to be more the outlier than norm imo. Jamal murray is playing on a calf strain right now (although you can tell its limiting him)

« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2024, 12:03:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1474

Not only that, but it isn’t even wrapped. Would have thought he’d at least have some kinesio tape or something…
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2024, 05:00:09 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

oh probably not. the average return time for this injury is 17 days. he said this is worse than the one earlier in the season. so by game 1 we are at 8 days. by ECF should be 3 weeks.

people love using Giannis as a barometer. but that seems to be more the outlier than norm imo. Jamal murray is playing on a calf strain right now (although you can tell its limiting him)
Hopefully the Celtics put the Cavs away quickly and KP is back for the ECF. Seems like a reasonable thing to hope for.