Author Topic: Name one player who's won a championship by himself  (Read 13525 times)

Re: Name one player who's won a championship by himself
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186

:'( Then he had to go and ruin it by doing drugs. Yes I'm still bitter lol.

Maradona didn't win it by himself, he had a hand!!!

Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2009, 09:04:53 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I still think Hakeem's first Rockets team is the best example of this.  None of the all-stars on Duncan's team were in their prime, but he was still playing with three former or future all-stars (Robinson, Manu, Parker) and another future 20 point per game scorer (Jackson).

The guys on Hakeem's Rockets team made one All-star game, ever, ten years after that title team.  That one all-star (Sam Cassell) averaged around 7 ppg in the regular season and 9 ppg in the playoffs.  None of Hakeem's teammates ever averaged 20 points per game.  It was literally Hakeem and a bunch of role players, many of whom were mediocre at best.

Yeah, this is the team. They got lucky Jordan wanted to play baseball. Other notables on that team were Mario Ellie, Kenny Smith, and Mad Max.

The other amazing thing was trading Otis Thorpe in the off-season for Clyde Drexler and basically another championship. Too bad Jordan came back the next season.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2009, 09:54:50 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245

Jimmy Chitwood?

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You beat me to it, although I was leaning towards "god had a hand in the victory"...

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2009, 10:26:12 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I still think Hakeem's first Rockets team is the best example of this.  None of the all-stars on Duncan's team were in their prime, but he was still playing with three former or future all-stars (Robinson, Manu, Parker) and another future 20 point per game scorer (Jackson).

The guys on Hakeem's Rockets team made one All-star game, ever, ten years after that title team.  That one all-star (Sam Cassell) averaged around 7 ppg in the regular season and 9 ppg in the playoffs.  None of Hakeem's teammates ever averaged 20 points per game.  It was literally Hakeem and a bunch of role players, many of whom were mediocre at best.

Otis Thorpe was as good as (example)S.Pippens at one stage of his career.He contributed a lot to their success in that season.Also Mario Ellie was a hard nose defender that could score with the best of them.Otis Thorpe probably was a better offensive player than S.Pippens(imo).

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 10:37:04 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Putting aside the obvious fact that basketball is a team sport I'm just racking my brain here trying to understand the label of Pierce and KG as losers because they didn't win a ring until they became part of the big 3. Is there someone who's won a ring without at least another allstar on their team?
I don't think one player can win a championship for his team. If there was such a player the only one I can think of is Bill Russell. But, he would be the first to say that you need to win as a team. Your question is the reason why I think the C's have a good chance to repeat, assuming they are healthy. (Am assuming they'll need to go thru Cav's and LA). The other two teams are too dependent on one player, even if they don't need to be. The C's are totally team oriented. One player might be able to win one or two games, but not a series.

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

You beat me to it, although I was leaning towards "god had a hand in the victory"...

wait...
it was HIS hand
and la mano de dios
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2009, 10:53:22 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I am a pele lover
but i respect a good song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipzhH9-Afl0

Please listen to this song it really rock and roll, p.s. the paranoic mice its really a nice name
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!