Author Topic: Posting unfounded NBA records.  (Read 32746 times)

Posting unfounded NBA records.
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:27:05 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Just because we were on the brink of setting the NBA record(maybe) for highest Point Differential Margin in NBA History after the first 10 games at over +14, doesn't mean we should panic.(All we had to do was beat the Hawks by 1 point, or lose by only 1 point and we would have been +14 after ten games)

Just because at the 9:17 mark of the 4th quarter against the Hawks, all we had to do was keep the game close to break the NBA record(maybe), doesn't mean we should panic.

Just because the Celtics absolutely demolished the old foul record(maybe)and shattered the NBA record(maybe) by being called for 10 consecutive fouls, with no calls made against the other team, in only 5:38, on 53% of total both team posessions, at a rate of 33.8 seconds per foul, doesn't mean we should panic.

Just because the Cavs were on the brink of tying the NBA record of 50-1 by the 1985-86 Boston Celtics last year in April of 2009 and LeBron James went through a 10 game stretch where he played 360 minutes on 1,786 total both team possesions and got called for only 6 fouls, doesn't mean we should panic.

Just because when LeBron is close to breaking a Celtics NBA record he gets called for a foul at a rate of every 3,600 seconds on 0.32% of total team possesions, doesn't mean we should panic.

Just because when the Celtics are close to breaking and NBA record(maybe), we get called for a foul at a rate of every 33.8 seconds on 53% of total team possesions, doesn't mean we should panic.

Because we all know in our hearts the refs got the call right, and that is all that matters.  I am so happy right now that the calls are even and the refs got every call right.

Here are the Numbers:

Foul Rate(seconds)   Total Both Team Possesions % Foul Rate

Celtics:       33.8                53%
LeBron:       3,600                 0.32%

See, no reason to panic, for every time LeBron is called for 1 foul, the Celtics will be called for 108 fouls(if you go by seconds), or 165 fouls(if you go by % of team possesions).

108-1, 165-1.

You have to admit, they got the calls right, because 108 is equal to 1, and 165 is equal to 1.

See, no reason to panic, none at all.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:52:39 PM by star18 »

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:32:59 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Just because we were on the brink of setting the NBA record for highest Point Differential Margin in NBA History after the first 10 games at over +14, doesn't mean we should panic.(All we had to do was beat the Hawks by 1 point, or lose by only 1 point and we would have been +14 after ten games)

Just because at the 9:17 mark of the 4th quarter against the Hawks, all we had to do was keep the game close to break the NBA record, doesn't mean we should panic.

Just because the Celtics absolutely demolished the old foul record(whatever that was)and shattered the NBA record by being called for 10 consecutive fouls, with no calls made against the other team, in only 5:38, on 53% of total both team posessions, at a rate of 33.8 seconds per foul, doesn't mean we should panic.

If you don't have links for these "NBA records", stop spreading misinformation.  Your act is wearing thin.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 09:37:47 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Roy, the stats I posted are correct.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:38:53 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Roy, the stats I posted are correct.

Post your source.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:41:31 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
nba.com just look at the box score from the Celtics Hawks game Fri night 11/13, and look at the 10 game stretch last year from the Cavaliers 69th through 78th game.

If you don't want the stats posted becuase somebody somewhere doesn't like it I totally understand.

Everything I posted is correct and statistically accurate.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 09:42:51 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
If you want to delete the stats, I don't mind. 

They are 100% accurate.  If somebody somewhere doesn't like the fact they are posted like I said I totally understand.     It doesn't mean the stats are inaccurate.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 09:44:10 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
nba.com just look at the box score from the Celtics Hawks game Fri night 11/13, and look at the 10 game stretch last year from the Cavaliers 69th through 78th game.

If you don't want the stats posted becuase somebody somewhere doesn't like it I totally understand.

Everything I posted is correct and statistically accurate.

One more time:  don't claim something is an NBA record unless you have proof that it is.  You're not allowed to post lies on here, simply because you think you're making some convoluted point.  Stick to facts that can be verified.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 09:47:11 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
Whether the NBA record Point differential after the first 10 games is +13, +14 or +15 I can't seem to find that information anywhere, but it is extremely close to the record, so it is worth someone to check on it.

Whether the NBA record for 10 or more consecutive fouls in less than 6 minutes by only 1 team is a record or not, I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

So until someone can find out that these are not NBA records, I don't see how they are not. 

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Whether the NBA record Point differential after the first 10 games is +13, +14 or +15 I can't seem to find that information anywhere, but it is extremely close to the record, so it is worth someone to check on it.

Whether the NBA record for 10 or more consecutive fouls in less than 6 minutes by only 1 team is a record or not, I can't seem to find that information anywhere.

So until someone can find out that these are not NBA records, I don't see how they are not. 

That's not how it works.  You don't get to say "it's an NBA record until somebody proves me wrong". 

What you're doing is intentionally spreading misinformation, i.e., lying.  That is inherently disrespectful to the membership of the blog.  If it happens again, there will be consequences.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 09:51:19 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
I'm not trying to make a point, I'm only trying to post accurate statistics from NBA games.   None of the stats are lies, they are 100% correct. I may be off by a small number, or tiny percentage but that would only be from a very minute mathematical error.  I'm saying something is an NBA record because I believe it to be so.  I'm trying to find that out myself.  So if you know the records post them.  

I will go back to my posts and put (maybe) in parenthesis next to NBA record.  However on the other posts I made, the NBA record of fouls against one team in a game, quarter, and by one player are correct.

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 09:51:46 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
so it is worth someone to check on it.

If only budgetary cuts hadn't forced us to lay off our interns...

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 09:53:37 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'm not trying to make a point, I'm only trying to post accurate statistics from NBA games.   None of the stats are lies, they are 100% correct. I may be off by a small number, or tiny percentage but that would only be from a very minute mathematical error.  I'm saying something is an NBA record because I believe it to be so.  I'm trying to find that out myself.  So if you know the records post them.  

I will go back to my posts and put (maybe) in parenthesis next to NBA record.  However on the other posts I made, the NBA record of fouls against one team in a game, quarter, and by one player are correct.

SO you committed all these to memory? THat's how you're posting these?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
None of this is from memory, its all from box scores of basketball games.

Re: The Official "Everybody PANIC!!!" Thread
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
If they are NBA records and some people don't want that information for various undetermined reasons I totally understand.

Re: Posting unfounded NBA records.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 09:56:58 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I split off this side discussion about creating records without doing the research to prove said records.