Author Topic: Writing is on the Wall: Win It All, or Daryl Morey and Gregg Popovich in 2021  (Read 6019 times)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
This isn't really writing on the wall. This is wild conjecture.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I wonder, is there any circumstance where Pop would take another coaching job?

Maybe if Trump bought the Spurs.  Or, Steve Balmer offers him $50 million per year. Outside of that, I can’t think of one.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Yeah...when your 22 year olds don't win you the championship, you should just fire everyone...

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wonder, is there any circumstance where Pop would take another coaching job?

Maybe if Trump bought the Spurs.  Or, Steve Balmer offers him $50 million per year. Outside of that, I can’t think of one.
Me either to be honest. I don't think he's got long left in his coaching career, and he likes the Spurs
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I mean, Popovich is like really old and I'm not sure he has his fastball anymore.  He's made some very questionable decisions the last few seasons.  I have to think there would be better options if Boston decided to look for a new coach.  And I have to think it's a moot point anyway, as Pop will either continue to coach the Spurs or he will retire, which I think is coming as soon as he thinks Becky Hammon is ready to take over for him.

I would be interested in Morey taking over if Ainge ever decides to retire, but I wouldn't force him out.

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Wow. This forum is taking the Lakers win well.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I mean, Popovich is like really old and I'm not sure he has his fastball anymore.  He's made some very questionable decisions the last few seasons.  I have to think there would be better options if Boston decided to look for a new coach.  And I have to think it's a moot point anyway, as Pop will either continue to coach the Spurs or he will retire, which I think is coming as soon as he thinks Becky Hammon is ready to take over for him.

I would be interested in Morey taking over if Ainge ever decides to retire, but I wouldn't force him out.

Pop without his fastball is still better than probably 25+ other coaches, right?

I agree it’s a moot point, though.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I could see Stevens being switched out if the team decides he is a great building coach (player development) but not a great championship coach.   If they thing he has done what we need him to do, but it is time to bring in the "closer" coach.   

But I doubt that is the issue.   Most young great team took time in the playoffs to overcome and become a champ. 

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Tatum would need to take a massive jump for Boston to win the title next year.  I mean he would basically have to play like he did in the Philly series all season long.  High level shooting efficiency, active on the boards, solid passing, and good to great defense night in and night out.  Not just small stretches here and there.  That would elevate him into the top 5 player discussion, which is where he needs to be for Boston to have any sort of realistic shot at a title.  And even if he does that, is Boston going to be better than Milwaukee, Miami, Brooklyn, or Philadelphia (assuming Doc can do what Brown couldn't).  Not to mention a handful of teams in the West (LA, LA, Den, GS, HOU). 

The sooner the board realizes Boston's title shot are very long odds, the better off the board with be.  IMO, Boston just doesn't have a championship level squad next year as I believe that Tatum needs at least another season to really turn into the type of player he needs to be for Boston to really be a contender and by then I'm not sure the supporting cast will be good enough (Brown certainly is, but what about the rest of the roster).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Celtics were a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense this season.

Do that again next season while improving on late game execution, they can definitely be in the mix to make the Finals and perhaps even win the title.

You can say "Tatum just isn't good enough! He's not LeBron!" all you want.  A lot of the time a guy isnt' considered "good enough" to lead a team to a title until he does it. 

If you have an elite offense and an elite defense, you're going to be in the mix even if you won't be the "favorite" to win it all. 

Sometimes teams may be unquestionably elite in the regular season but fail to carry that over into the playoffs (see: Bucks).  However I think we've seen enough from the Celtics under Stevens to recognize that they don't belong in that category.  They do have some work to do to become better at executing in crunch time, though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Do that again next season while improving on late game execution, they can definitely be in the mix to make the Finals and perhaps even win the title.

You can say "Tatum just isn't good enough! He's not LeBron!" all you want.  A lot of the time a guy isnt' considered "good enough" to lead a team to a title until he does it. 

If you have an elite offense and an elite defense, you're going to be in the mix even if you won't be the "favorite" to win it all. 

Sometimes teams may be unquestionably elite in the regular season but fail to carry that over into the playoffs (see: Bucks).  However I think we've seen enough from the Celtics under Stevens to recognize that they don't belong in that category.  They do have some work to do to become better at executing in crunch time, though.
Tatum will be in his 4th year though, it isn't like he is in prime.  At some point, he will probably be good enough to lead a real and legit contender, I just don't think that comes in year 4.  I think the 5th year is far more likely.  That is when Durant led the Thunder to the Finals, for example (that was the season Jordan first made the ECF before winning in year 7).  You just get that extra maturity, extra grind, extra strength, etc.  Now I will give you, Lebron did lead the Cavs to the Finals in his 4th year, but the East was super weak that year and Lebron is just a different class of player. 

Tatum has to take a major leap to really put Boston in the same sphere as the legit contenders.  He could do it, I just don't think it is all that likely, and even if he does, it isn't like Boston won't still have many of the flaws it currently has i.e. a weak bench, a lack of size, and health concerns for several other players. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Tatum will be in his 4th year though, it isn't like he is in prime.  At some point, he will probably be good enough to lead a real and legit contender, I just don't think that comes in year 4.  I think the 5th year is far more likely.  That is when Durant led the Thunder to the Finals, for example (that was the season Jordan first made the ECF before winning in year 7).  You just get that extra maturity, extra grind, extra strength, etc.  Now I will give you, Lebron did lead the Cavs to the Finals in his 4th year, but the East was super weak that year and Lebron is just a different class of player. 

Tatum has to take a major leap to really put Boston in the same sphere as the legit contenders.  He could do it, I just don't think it is all that likely, and even if he does, it isn't like Boston won't still have many of the flaws it currently has i.e. a weak bench, a lack of size, and health concerns for several other players.

Tatum has constantly improved every year and has added new things to his arsenal. Have you seen him in this years playoffs? The records he's broken, if you can't see him having that major leap then I don't know what to say to you.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tatum has constantly improved every year and has added new things to his arsenal. Have you seen him in this years playoffs? The records he's broken, if you can't see him having that major leap then I don't know what to say to you.
Moranis thinks our guys are all dudu while every other teams young star players are HoF'ers
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Moranis thinks our guys are all dudu while every other teams young star players are HoF'ers
Think he's been pretty high on Tatum, think it's only me on this forum who's sceptical on Tatum having real MVP calibre potential lol. With that being said All-NBA calibre players are absolutely good enough to "lead" a team to championships in the sense that they can be the best player on a title winning squad.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Who else u going to replace Stevens?? He has done a great job so far and players love him so he is not going anywhere..Ainge been here since 2003 and ppl love him also so he not going anywhere either
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin