Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118624 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)
« Reply #540 on: October 06, 2020, 03:02:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'd say players that seem like Danny picks would be Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton, two guys that were said to be top prospects who underperformed, for one reason or another.
Normally I would agree with you, but DA conceding that the Cs would be likely drafting for need makes me think he won't consider these guys. We don't need DSJ 2.0 or a guy who was a weak player in the Australian league
14 lewis or terry
26 Smith or Tillman
30 McDaniels
I would be over the moon with Lewis / Terry and Tillman, but personally have Reed and a guy like Desmond Bane ahead of Smith and McDaniels. Need some more shooting or defensive excellence
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #541 on: October 06, 2020, 06:54:18 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
One thing thread shows is DA has to try and package 26 and 30 to move into 18-21 range. A lot of guys mentioned will still be available there. We could be picking two guys from the poll instead of one.

I'd love Nesmith and Jalen Smith.

If you could get two of the guys which two would people pick?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 10:59:49 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #542 on: October 06, 2020, 07:05:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
One thing is thread shows is DA has to try and package 26 and 30 to move into 18-21 range. A lot of guys mentioned will still be available there. We could be picking two guys from the poll instead of one.

I'd love Nesmith and Jalen Smith.

If you could get two of the guys which two would people pick?
That would be very interesting. Not sure I would do a trade like that, as I’m pretty set on a few guys all throughout the draft. But if we did, I’d like us to take Achiuwa / Williams and Terry / Lewis
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #543 on: October 06, 2020, 08:11:27 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
To all you guys who want us to draft a PG at #14 ( Tyller Terry, Kira Lewis, Tyrese Maxey, Cole Anthony, etc.)

Danny had an exit presser last week. When asked about the upcoming draft, he hinted that he may draft for need this season. Here's the exact quote:

Quote from: Danny Ainge
We have a lot of picks and it’s a draft where you might want a lot of picks. Or you might want to do different things. You hear you want to draft the best player available a lot, but sometimes you have to draft for need as well.

The C's already got 2 starting-caliber PG's (to say the least) in Kemba and Smart. We also got a serviceable backup in Wanamaker and a potential 3rd stringer in Waters. Wanamaker has early-Bird rights. Waters has non-Bird rights. What makes you think we should go after yet another PG at #14?

a. This draft has good depth at that position, especially to get a PG with future starting potential.
b. Kemba is 31.
c. Kemba has balky knee.
d. Smart is not a point guard, more of a swing between point and 2 guard.
e. No one on roster is worthy of being starting PG on a championship caliber team besides Kemba; see b and c above.
Agree to disagree on Smart. Imo, he's a ball handler on offense who operates as a wing on defense. I prefer him running the point instead of jacking up 3s as an off-ball shooter. Not sure why you think he cannot be the starting PG on a championship-caliber team. Only reason we are using him off the ball is the fact that we got Kemba.

Btw, Kemba is 30 (born on May 8, 1990).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 08:27:34 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #544 on: October 06, 2020, 08:27:51 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
(...) Its tough because while drafting a 6'6+ shooting wing who can create some off the dribble would be ideal its simple not the strength of the class. Looking at the Miami series the Cs could have really used a player off the bench who could step in and not be a liability on D and create some offense.

(...) My fear (and it would be out of character) is that DA goes all in on this past seasons "needs" and take Nesmith or S Bey over higher upside players
Saddiq Bey is exactly what you are describing in your first two sentences. Sure, he's relatively old for an NBA rookie (21), but imo he'd be the perfect fit in CBS's system.

- 6'8
- terrific shooter
- defends multiple positions
- above average ball handler + passer at the wing position

I mean, it's not like the rest of the guys have HOF potential or something. The only guy with clearly superior potential is probably Poku who is a boom-or-bust prospect. He may easily be 2 years away from being 2 years away.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 09:02:17 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #545 on: October 06, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I prefer him running the point instead of jacking up 3s as an off-ball shooter. Not sure why you think he cannot be the starting PG on a championship-caliber team.

That is why. He's 26 but has not come to terms with his own abilities and who should be shooting. If we could get him to take 10 shots and manage end of games better on offense, I'd say he was perfect for this team. But if he's going iso in the last minute instead of leading the team to run some actions for Tatum and Brown, then he's going to be a problem.

« Reply #546 on: October 06, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
(...) Its tough because while drafting a 6'6+ shooting wing who can create some off the dribble would be ideal its simple not the strength of the class. Looking at the Miami series the Cs could have really used a player off the bench who could step in and not be a liability on D and create some offense.

(...) My fear (and it would be out of character) is that DA goes all in on this past seasons "needs" and take Nesmith or S Bey over higher upside players
Saddiq Bey is exactly what you are describing in your first two sentences. Sure, he's relatively old for an NBA rookie (21), but imo he'd be the perfect fit in CBS's system.

- 6'8
- terrific shooter

I mean, it's not like the rest of the guys have HOF potential or something. The only guy with clearly superior potential is probably Poku who is a boom-or-bust prospect. He may easily be 2 years away from being 2 years away.

I have to admit that S Bey is a player who I have unjustifiably dropped further and further down my board. His shooting, size/length, and Nova pedigree has me confident that he will not bust. I do have concerns with who he defends in the NBA.  I don't think he is going to have the lateral quickness to defend most wings and will have to defend up to stay on the court. On offense he is very skilled but his lack of a first step probably makes him more realistically a stretch-4 rather then the wing he is touted as. He would be a safe and understandable pick at #14 but I fear that conservative picks will leave this roster stagnate.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #547 on: October 06, 2020, 11:32:19 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

- 6'8
- terrific shooter

I have to admit that S Bey is a player who I have unjustifiably dropped further and further down my board. His shooting, size/length, and Nova pedigree has me confident that he will not bust. I do have concerns with who he defends in the NBA.  I don't think he is going to have the lateral quickness to defend most wings and will have to defend up to stay on the court. On offense he is very skilled but his lack of a first step probably makes him more realistically a stretch-4 rather then the wing he is touted as. He would be a safe and understandable pick at #14 but I fear that conservative picks will leave this roster stagnate.

I haven't seen enough of Bey, but what I have watched makes me wonder if he could be similar to a Shane Battier type of player. The problem is that Battier was a great team defender. Most of what I've seen from Bey is that he is a great individual defender.

« Reply #548 on: October 06, 2020, 12:33:37 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I have to admit that S Bey is a player who I have unjustifiably dropped further and further down my board. His shooting, size/length, and Nova pedigree has me confident that he will not bust. I do have concerns with who he defends in the NBA.  I don't think he is going to have the lateral quickness to defend most wings and will have to defend up to stay on the court. On offense he is very skilled but his lack of a first step probably makes him more realistically a stretch-4 rather then the wing he is touted as.
Agreed. He's more of a swing rather than a wing. The way the game is evolving, I believe he can cover both the SF and the PF positions. He's 6'8 with a 6'11 wingspan. Fwiw, these are the exact measurements of Tatum as well.

He would be a safe and understandable pick at #14 but I fear that conservative picks will leave this roster stagnate.
I would argue that his absolute ceiling is prime Gordon Hayward with better defense. Bey is 1 year older than rookie Hayward, but it took Hayward 3-4 years to reach his potential. A more realistic comp may be Tobias Harris with better defense.

I haven't seen enough of Bey, but what I have watched makes me wonder if he could be similar to a Shane Battier type of player. The problem is that Battier was a great team defender. Most of what I've seen from Bey is that he is a great individual defender.
What distinguishes Bey the most from Battier is his ball handling skills. Unlike Battier, Bey can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:01:00 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #549 on: October 06, 2020, 12:47:42 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Would definitely not have an issue if we got Bey. I would like if we could trade up a few spots and maybe make a run at Haliburton or Nesmith(both slotted to go in between 8-12) as well but not sure if they would still be available around the 10th spot.

I would also like us to take a flyer on another small PG in the 2nd or late first..Markus Howard, PG, Marquette. He is IT small in height but wow, he can light it up as a shooter. 2019/20 stats: 29 G, 33.2 mpg, 27.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.0 bpg, 42.2 FG% (7.5/14.6), 41.2 3PT% (4.2/10.1), 84.7 FT%

We need these kind of players coming off the bench.

« Reply #550 on: October 06, 2020, 01:01:48 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Would definitely not have an issue if we got Bey. I would like if we could trade up a few spots and maybe make a run at Haliburton or Nesmith(both slotted to go in between 8-12) as well but not sure if they would still be available around the 10th spot.

I would also like us to take a flyer on another small PG in the 2nd or late first..Markus Howard, PG, Marquette. He is IT small in height but wow, he can light it up as a shooter. 2019/20 stats: 29 G, 33.2 mpg, 27.8 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.0 bpg, 42.2 FG% (7.5/14.6), 41.2 3PT% (4.2/10.1), 84.7 FT%

It's like you cherry picked these from a "best shooters in the draft" list. Btw I'm on board with that approach.

« Reply #551 on: October 06, 2020, 01:13:17 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

It's like you cherry picked these from a "best shooters in the draft" list. Btw I'm on board with that approach.

We definitely need a best shooters approach if we keep our picks! I would welcome any of the top 10 best shooters coming out for sure but would prefer the one's with a bit of height and versatility as well. We could also get a dropper that might end up in our lap too. I am sure Danny has already anointed his secret gem of the draft as well.

« Reply #552 on: October 06, 2020, 01:50:33 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Yeah, I'm all in on Markus Howard, especially with that second-round pick.  I'm seeing him out of the draft altogether or in the late 2nd.   He would be an amazing off or on ball shooter. Brad has experience with hiding these small guards within our defense. 

« Reply #553 on: October 06, 2020, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd say players that seem like Danny picks would be Cole Anthony and RJ Hampton, two guys that were said to be top prospects who underperformed, for one reason or another.
Normally I would agree with you, but DA conceding that the Cs would be likely drafting for need makes me think he won't consider these guys. We don't need DSJ 2.0 or a guy who was a weak player in the Australian league
14 lewis or terry
26 Smith or Tillman
30 McDaniels
I would be over the moon with Lewis / Terry and Tillman, but personally have Reed and a guy like Desmond Bane ahead of Smith and McDaniels. Need some more shooting or defensive excellence

I'm more optimistic about RJ Hampton's ability to improve. I put him more in the Jaylen Brown bucket (top HS prospect, struggled first year out), but more of a ball handler.  Athleticism is off the charts.  Pretty switchable defending 3 spots (1,2, 3).  If he can improve his jumper, has a very high ceiling. I don't feel that way about Anthony. 

« Reply #554 on: October 06, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
14 lewis or terry
26 Smith or Tillman
30 McDaniels

I'm more optimistic about RJ Hampton's ability to improve. I put him more in the Jaylen Brown bucket (top HS prospect, struggled first year out), but more of a ball handler.  Athleticism is off the charts.  Pretty switchable defending 3 spots (1,2, 3).  If he can improve his jumper, has a very high ceiling. I don't feel that way about Anthony.

I'm with you on Hampton. I think he has legit potential. His work ethic will determine whether he makes it to all-star status, but his median outcome looks something between a Jordan Clarkson and Spencer Dinwiddie.

I don't agree with you on Anthony. I think he has many refined scoring skills. I think the risk with Anthony is pretty low. His median outcome (imo) is something pretty similar as a backup guard, but I think there is a real chance he becomes a starting point guard that can average 20 and 5 on a lower-tier playoff team.