Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118593 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)
« Reply #570 on: October 07, 2020, 03:10:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Ok, name the players that, despite who you'd generally like at 26, can't be not taken at 26. 

For example, maybe you want Tillman at 26.  Tell me which player if they fall that far you would have to take over Tillman.  Hampton? 

For me, despite thinking highly of Tillman and recognizing he'd provide help in an area of need, I think if Jahmi'us Ramsey is there at 26 he has to be taken value wise.  (then hope for tillman at 30.

I think Ramsey can be brought along either quickly or slowly, but is definitely ready to help some next year.  I really like comparing him to Smart as to how he plays.  Apparently he has more of a scorer's mentality than playmaking for others at the moment, but he seems to me like the type who could easily become a table setter in the near future.

these are the guys I draft before Tillman. I pulled this off of my draft tiers ends up being 19 players.

LaMelo Ball
Anthony Edwards
Killian Hayes
Onyeka Okongwu
James Wiseman
Deni Avdija
Isaac Okoro
RJ Hampton
Cole Anthony
Tyrese Maxey
Tyrese Haliburton
Devin Vassell
Josh Green
Patrick Williams
Kira Lewis
Aaron Nesmith
Tyrell Terry
Obi Toppin
Precious Achiuwa

ok thanks...so for you Tillman greater than Bane or Ramsey (or Tyler Bey, Reed, Riller, etc..)

I'm going to post my last draft board after measurements are released.

I'm low on Ramsey and have him #39, I have doubts about his ability and IQ in a complimentary role

I like Bane a lot and have him #24, I would be higher on him if it wasn't for his lack of length. I worry that despite his strong frame he will be limited and exploited some by taller longer wings. Still would love him with the 26th pick or a small trade up.

Tyler Herro has same "lack of length", LOL.  Don't let that cloud your analysis too much, bro.

« Reply #571 on: October 07, 2020, 03:57:15 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Ok, name the players that, despite who you'd generally like at 26, can't be not taken at 26. 

For example, maybe you want Tillman at 26.  Tell me which player if they fall that far you would have to take over Tillman.  Hampton? 

For me, despite thinking highly of Tillman and recognizing he'd provide help in an area of need, I think if Jahmi'us Ramsey is there at 26 he has to be taken value wise.  (then hope for tillman at 30.

I think Ramsey can be brought along either quickly or slowly, but is definitely ready to help some next year.  I really like comparing him to Smart as to how he plays.  Apparently he has more of a scorer's mentality than playmaking for others at the moment, but he seems to me like the type who could easily become a table setter in the near future.

these are the guys I draft before Tillman. I pulled this off of my draft tiers ends up being 19 players.

LaMelo Ball
Anthony Edwards
Killian Hayes
Onyeka Okongwu
James Wiseman
Deni Avdija
Isaac Okoro
RJ Hampton
Cole Anthony
Tyrese Maxey
Tyrese Haliburton
Devin Vassell
Josh Green
Patrick Williams
Kira Lewis
Aaron Nesmith
Tyrell Terry
Obi Toppin
Precious Achiuwa

ok thanks...so for you Tillman greater than Bane or Ramsey (or Tyler Bey, Reed, Riller, etc..)

I'm low on Ramsey and have him #39, I have doubts about his ability and IQ in a complimentary role

I like Bane a lot and have him #24, I would be higher on him if it wasn't for his lack of length. I worry that despite his strong frame he will be limited and exploited some by taller longer wings. Still would love him with the 26th pick or a small trade up.

Tyler Herro has same "lack of length", LOL.  Don't let that cloud your analysis too much, bro.
Nah, wingspan is still a very important factor, defensively. Herro is more an exception than anything.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #572 on: October 07, 2020, 03:59:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

LaMelo Ball
Anthony Edwards
Killian Hayes
Onyeka Okongwu
James Wiseman
Deni Avdija
Isaac Okoro
RJ Hampton
Cole Anthony
Tyrese Maxey
Tyrese Haliburton
Devin Vassell
Josh Green
Patrick Williams
Kira Lewis
Aaron Nesmith
Tyrell Terry
Obi Toppin
Precious Achiuwa

Nah, wingspan is still a very important factor, defensively. Herro is more an exception than anything.
And he's also a really quite poor defender. Desmond Bane is a solid defender, but he'll never be elite due to physical limitations.

I do like that he's modelling his offensive game on Joe Harris
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #573 on: October 07, 2020, 04:29:21 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

LaMelo Ball
Anthony Edwards
Killian Hayes
Onyeka Okongwu
James Wiseman
Deni Avdija
Isaac Okoro
RJ Hampton
Cole Anthony
Tyrese Maxey
Tyrese Haliburton
Devin Vassell
Josh Green
Patrick Williams
Kira Lewis
Aaron Nesmith
Tyrell Terry
Obi Toppin
Precious Achiuwa

Length is a factor on defense. I like Bane a lot and would have him as a lottery pick if he had a + wingspan. With his frame and a + WS he would be a great 2-4 defender. The lack of length effectively turns a 6'6 player into a 6'3 player and limits who he can successfully defend. Players like Herro and Redick are great NBA players despite lack of length but neither are excelling on D. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #574 on: October 07, 2020, 05:04:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

LaMelo Ball
Anthony Edwards
Killian Hayes
Onyeka Okongwu
James Wiseman
Deni Avdija
Isaac Okoro
RJ Hampton
Cole Anthony
Tyrese Maxey
Tyrese Haliburton
Devin Vassell
Josh Green
Patrick Williams
Kira Lewis
Aaron Nesmith
Tyrell Terry
Obi Toppin
Precious Achiuwa

Length is a factor on defense. I like Bane a lot and would have him as a lottery pick if he had a + wingspan. With his frame and a + WS he would be a great 2-4 defender. The lack of length effectively turns a 6'6 player into a 6'3 player and limits who he can successfully defend. Players like Herro and Redick are great NBA players despite lack of length but neither are excelling on D.

Bane is also built like a truck which helps with NBA defense. I think Bane will be OK on defense due to his smarts and strength.

« Reply #575 on: October 07, 2020, 05:17:01 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Well, the above conversation has swayed me to switch Bane and Tillman in order.
so my pick 26 choice =

1. Ramsey
2. Tillman
3. Bane
4. Bey
5. Reed

(assuming no surprising fallers)

With pick 30 not far after to catch someone missed.

If Danny takes a guard at 14, switch Tillman ahead of Ramsey unless it's a BPA plus trades type of thing.

« Reply #576 on: October 07, 2020, 10:11:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
This was very interesting:

"Of all the players he asked these questions to, only one stated that he had been in touch with the C’s decision-makers. That player was TCU’s Desmond Bane.

“I believe they were my first interview,” Bane said. “I think I was the interview for 15 of the teams that I interviewed with and second for a good majority of the other ones. There was a lot of interest early on, and the Celtics were one of those teams.

“They play a lot of similar wings, versatile wings, guys who can switch all over the floor. You saw how valuable a guy like Grant Williams was, a rookie who stepped in and could guard multiple positions. That’s something I feel like I bring to the table as well, and some off-ball shooting, things like that. I have good size for the position and versatility is something that I hang my hat on. I’m kind of one of those junkyard dog guys similar to Marcus Smart, it doesn’t matter if I get matched up on a guy who is bigger than me or much smaller than me, I’m going to find a way to get it done.”

Bane has spent all four years of his collegiate career playing for TCU. In his final year with the Horned Frogs, the combo guard posted impressive averages of 16.6 points, 6.3 rebounds, 3.9 assists, and 1.5 steals on 45 percent shooting from the floor and 44 percent shooting from deep."

« Reply #577 on: October 08, 2020, 05:00:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i believe a few posters have mentioned mcdaniels as a possible pick. perhaps, but when i read this article i had to ask a number of questions about his mental ability to play in the nba.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/the-curious-case-of-jaden-mcdaniels-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-uw-freshman-stars-baffling-season/

too bad since he is a UW huskie.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #578 on: October 08, 2020, 05:03:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
i believe a few posters have mentioned mcdaniels as a possible pick. perhaps, but when i read this article i had to ask a number of questions about his mental ability to play in the nba.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-basketball/the-curious-case-of-jaden-mcdaniels-trying-to-make-sense-of-the-uw-freshman-stars-baffling-season/

Yeah, I do not want any part of McDaniels. His brother is very similar in many regards and has been unimpressive in the NBA so far.

« Reply #579 on: October 10, 2020, 08:10:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm seeing a bunch of mock drafts with The Celtics taking Cole Anthony with the 14th pick. Can someone talk me into liking that? I'm just not high on Cole Anthony. I'd rather have Mannion, Winston, Dotson, Flynn, or Pritchard over Anthony. I'm just not seeing it.

« Reply #580 on: October 10, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Yeah, I do not want any part of McDaniels. His brother is very similar in many regards and has been unimpressive in the NBA so far.

I think the love for McDaniels is all physical profile. He should be good because of his measurements but he's not.

« Reply #581 on: October 10, 2020, 09:43:06 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm seeing a bunch of mock drafts with The Celtics taking Cole Anthony with the 14th pick. Can someone talk me into liking that? I'm just not high on Cole Anthony. I'd rather have Mannion, Winston, Dotson, Flynn, or Pritchard over Anthony. I'm just not seeing it.

I'm in on Anthony. I think he would likely be an immediate 15-5 guy if he played 30 mpg. I think he could sneak into the back end of an all-star game once or twice in his career.

He can shoot from way deep off the dribble or catch going either way. He's already learned to be on balance and have a consistent release, which will lead to him being an efficient shooter pretty quick. He's got a great mid-range game including step-backs either way, floaters, and creative up-and-unders. He can finish with either hand using eurosteps, step-throughs, etc.

The UNC team he played for this year was one of the worst shooting teams in the NCAA. They only played one other shooter on the court with Anthony, leading him to force a lot of offense going to the basket, which led to his lower efficiency. This is a classic Jaylen Brown type situation. 

If you pay attention, his efficiency actually got better with more difficult competition throughout the season.

I think people are being nit-picky about his defense. I would love to see him be a dynamo defensively, but he's not sieve. He has decent instincts and good strength/quickness to fight through screens.  He also helps on the boards a little bit.

Guys with his skill and pedigree aren't normally available at 14. He'd be a great get.

« Reply #582 on: October 10, 2020, 10:39:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Yeah, I hate the idea of us picking Cole Anthony. Dennis Smith Jr all over again, except Anthony is actually a worse college player.

I think the love for McDaniels is all physical profile. He should be good because of his measurements but he's not.
Yeah, classic. If a team wants to take a flyer on a huge wing I'd prefer Poku

« Reply #583 on: October 11, 2020, 02:01:54 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I'm in on Anthony. I think he would likely be an immediate 15-5 guy if he played 30 mpg. I think he could sneak into the back end of an all-star game once or twice in his career.

He can shoot from way deep off the dribble or catch going either way. He's already learned to be on balance and have a consistent release, which will lead to him being an efficient shooter pretty quick. He's got a great mid-range game including step-backs either way, floaters, and creative up-and-unders. He can finish with either hand using eurosteps, step-throughs, etc.

The UNC team he played for this year was one of the worst shooting teams in the NCAA. They only played one other shooter on the court with Anthony, leading him to force a lot of offense going to the basket, which led to his lower efficiency. This is a classic Jaylen Brown type situation. 

If you pay attention, his efficiency actually got better with more difficult competition throughout the season.

I think people are being nit-picky about his defense. I would love to see him be a dynamo defensively, but he's not sieve. He has decent instincts and good strength/quickness to fight through screens.  He also helps on the boards a little bit.

Guys with his skill and pedigree aren't normally available at 14. He'd be a great get.

Thanks for an alternative viewpoint. Something just looks off about him to me but I can see some talent.

« Reply #584 on: October 11, 2020, 05:55:46 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Yeah, I hate the idea of us picking Cole Anthony. Dennis Smith Jr all over again, except Anthony is actually a worse college player.

I think that a worse Dennis Smith Jr. is a very surface level comparison for Cole Anthony. Anthony has a far more complex offensive game than Smith ever had in college, that's far less dependent on simply being more athletic than everyone else.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum