Author Topic: David West to Spurs  (Read 11152 times)

Re: David West to Spurs
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 04:43:08 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Anyone else really hoping the Cavs pull that trigger for Johnson now?! Cavs-Spurs 2015 nba finals is HOLY SCHNEIKES match up. Seriously, I don't think we'll see two teams loaded with that much talent since the 80s Lakers-Celtics!

COME ON MR. GILBERT GET THAT DEAL DONE! I WANT GOOD BASKETBALL!

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 04:44:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The players union cant be happy with West right now. He's not that old.

Eh... He'll be 35 when the new season starts, he's already had a significant knee injury in his career and missed a nice amount of games last year. His window isn't all that open.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 04:44:38 PM »

Offline CelticRob

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
I am glad the Spurs are loading up a great roster so they can keep LeBron and the Cavs from winning it. I don't think the Warriors will win the west now with the roster the Spurs have and if the Celtics can't win it the next best thing is the Cavs not winning it all and if it is the Spurs and Cavs in the Finals and both teams are healthy I like the Spurs to win it all!!   

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 04:44:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
The players union cant be happy with West right now. He's not that old.

Always like this guy though. He clearly wants to win really bad. Maybe he's made some great investments but its rare for any human being to wilingly take a pay cut like that.

David West is about to turn 35. He is I believe one of the 20 oldest active players in the NBA after the retirements happening this offseason. How is he not old?

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 04:44:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Feel bad for Boris Diaw.

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 04:46:08 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Honestly, I don't like this at all. I mean, I like when players take some discounts to put the team above themselves, but what the Spurs have done this off-season is bordering the ridiculous.

Yeah, it'll be interesting the perception the Spurs get. When players do this to play with Lebron, they're bashed as "ring chasers".

The Spurs are such a well run organization - it's insane that they've never really gotten this much attention in free agency before. Honestly, I'm happy for them - it's about time the spotlight is on them. As for D.West, I have nothing but respect for him. He was right to call out Larry Bird and Indy for throwing Roy Hibbert under the bus and basically saying the team was moving on from him while he was still on the team. David saw that, realized Indy weren't contending anytime soon and took a significant paycut to join a contender. He's not getting any younger.

kinda reminds me of Rasheed Wallace when he joined us. How old was he when he joined the Cs?

David West is 34, and on a decline, and he'll be coming off the bench. That'll be a great frontcourt. The spurs has an amazing front office and coach. We'll see what happens during the season.

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 04:47:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Honestly, I don't like this at all. I mean, I like when players take some discounts to put the team above themselves, but what the Spurs have done this off-season is bordering the ridiculous.

Yeah, it'll be interesting the perception the Spurs get. When players do this to play with Lebron, they're bashed as "ring chasers".

The Spurs are such a well run organization - it's insane that they've never really gotten this much attention in free agency before. Honestly, I'm happy for them - it's about time the spotlight is on them. As for D.West, I have nothing but respect for him. He was right to call out Larry Bird and Indy for throwing Roy Hibbert under the bus and basically saying the team was moving on from him while he was still on the team. David saw that, realized Indy weren't contending anytime soon and took a significant paycut to join a contender. He's not getting any younger.

I am confused which players would have been called ring chasers for joining Lebron? Obviously Ray Allen got a lot of flack around these parts because it was viewed as personal by some Celtics players, but who are the other players? Guys like Mike Miller, James Jones, Perkins, Marion have all kind of sucked and been irrelevant when they signed to play with Lebron.

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Anyone else really hoping the Cavs pull that trigger for Johnson now?! Cavs-Spurs 2015 nba finals is HOLY SCHNEIKES match up. Seriously, I don't think we'll see two teams loaded with that much talent since the 80s Lakers-Celtics!

Joe Johnson really does not make the Cavs any better. He makes the Nets marginally better because they have so few players that can score. On the Cavs they really don't need slow motion isos when Irving and Lebron are much better at getting and hitting shots at this stage of their career. I also think he is awful defensively.

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 04:48:57 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Can't wait for the Spurs/Cavs Finals.  Should be one of the all time epic series if all the key members are healthy.

Kevin Love will run into the ultimate test against that frontcourt. Man Aldridge, Duncan, West while managing to retain Diaw? Kawhi is definitely capable of playing the 4 as well.

They lost a lot of height with Splitter and a lot of heft with Baynes but that is one of the most skilled frontcourts you could imagine.

Anyone know if that big Croatian they drafted is coming over this season?

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »

Offline Lioney

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 18
Legal cheating or something like that.. Lakers style....Dirty Spurs...

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 04:51:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This off-season belongs to the Spurs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2015, 04:52:14 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Joe Johnson really does not make the Cavs any better. He makes the Nets marginally better because they have so few players that can score. On the Cavs they really don't need slow motion isos when Irving and Lebron are much better at getting and hitting shots at this stage of their career. I also think he is awful defensively.

Think of him taking JR Smith's spot, though.  He would give them better/more consistent 3 point shooting, and another guy that can create his own shot (if they need it)

Sure, he might slow them down, but I think he'd accept a role as a spot up shooter if it gave him a chance at a ring, and the spacing he'd give in that role would be great
I'm bitter.

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 04:52:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Feel bad for Boris Diaw.

Why?  That's a solid 4 man frontcourt unit they've got there and I imagine Boris will get playing time next to all three of the other guys.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

I think they would use him more as offensive firepower to give Lebron and Kyrie rest. Even if he's not what he was, JJ can still put the ball in the hoop. Not to mention with Lebron by his side Johnson would have so many open threes. He'd play the Ray Allen role on the Heat but possibly even better than Ray did.

Not to mention Cleveland's defense came around in the playoffs. They could mask Johnson's inefficiencies.

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 04:54:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
The bullets just keep coming at LeBron.

Spurs

Got this !   ;D