Author Topic: 2016 Free Agents  (Read 1641 times)

2016 Free Agents
« on: July 08, 2015, 06:56:38 AM »

Offline rutzan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 85
Durant...highly doubtful we get him
Drummond...very doubtful we get him
MKG...maybe
Beal...doubtful we get him
Jennings...low chance
Gordon...maybe

I just don't see many game changers that we realistically have a chance at...

I think danny will have to pull off a trade to get a star...

Then...maybe attract another star in fa...

I really don't see us pulling two big time fa in 2016...

Re: 2016 Free Agents
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:33:55 AM »

Offline YeezusChrist

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
I really don't see us signing anyone major next year since our roster will be
Crowder, Smart, Young, KO, IT, and AB (sully and zeller if we resign them and use cap) which isn't enough of a squad to attract free agents

Maybe Danny can swing a trade for a star this year but I doubt it. The only 1st tier stars I think will be mentioned in trades this year are Chris Paul and Blake Griffin but that's still highly unlikely unless losing Deandre hurt them on and off the court.

A star I used to mention is now off the table and I am talking about the infamous Demarcus Cousins. Since the Kings pretty much went all in for free agency by freeing cap and trading picks away I don't see them trading Cousins until his contract is about to expire because if they finish below Philly they lose the pick. I know that is unlikely but they won't strengthen those odds by getting rid of their best player.

So I can't see any game changers as of right now but it looks like we might have a lot of cap for more role players next year if Danny doesn't start making moves.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:36:51 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
MKG...maybe
Jennings...low chance
Gordon...maybe

Hmm this is what we are saving our $ for? Seems like nothing there for us.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 08:59:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
MKG...maybe
Jennings...low chance
Gordon...maybe

Hmm this is what we are saving our $ for? Seems like nothing there for us.
Boston isn't saving $, no one better than Amir Johnson wanted to come to Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Its going to be tough for the Celts to sign any star because most teams will also be under the cap when it raises to 90 and 107 million over the next 2 years.. They will have $ to spend but still will not be a destination place to play..

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 09:48:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I wouldn't worry yourself about free agency.

It'll continue to be a let down, regardless of how much cap space the Celts have, until they put together a real core.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 09:54:53 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think a bigger point here is that because there are not that many high caliber FAs next summer, the FAs that do hit the market are going to command a huge amount of money. In other words, FAs like Tyler Zeller will command $10M per year, for example. It is going to make the contracts of Crowder, Bradley, Thomas seem like good bargains.

In any case, while the Cs may or may not be a destination, keep in mind that Danny Ainge has done a nice job of creating flexibility, so that the Cs can do something if the opportunity arises.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I dont care what anyone says... I refuse to give up on the pipedream of Kevin Durant as a Celtic untill he is signed and in at a press conference holding up that Washington Wizards jersey.

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 10:07:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think a bigger point here is that because there are not that many high caliber FAs next summer, the FAs that do hit the market are going to command a huge amount of money. In other words, FAs like Tyler Zeller will command $10M per year, for example. It is going to make the contracts of Crowder, Bradley, Thomas seem like good bargains.

In any case, while the Cs may or may not be a destination, keep in mind that Danny Ainge has done a nice job of creating flexibility, so that the Cs can do something if the opportunity arises.

$10 million will be roughly a tenth of the cap in a couple years, which is equivalent to about $6.5 million now.

So $10 million a year for Zeller sounds like a good deal.

Robin Lopez is going to get approximately $14 million a year for the Knicks.  Zeller is a pretty similar player.  I'd guess he ends up getting closer to $15 million than $10 million.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

$10 million will be roughly a tenth of the cap in a couple years, which is equivalent to about $6.5 million now.

So $10 million a year for Zeller sounds like a good deal.

Robin Lopez is going to get approximately $14 million a year for the Knicks.  Zeller is a pretty similar player.  I'd guess he ends up getting closer to $15 million than $10 million.

Good points, and thanks for doing the math that I didn't do :)

Here are some other FAs in 2016 that people on CB seem to be pining over: Gallinari and W. Chandler.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Other free agents

Wade
Kobe
Hibbert
Noah
Al Jeff
Horford
Nene
Joe Johnson
Deng
Batum
Ryan Anderson
Mayo
Mozgov
Lamb
Henson
Plumlee
Perry Jones
Jeff Green
Courtney Lee

Varying degrees of skill level and age.  I wouldn't mind Horford and Batum for example.  Would fit in well with Boston is doing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
A star I used to mention is now off the table and I am talking about the infamous Demarcus Cousins. Since the Kings pretty much went all in for free agency by freeing cap and trading picks away I don't see them trading Cousins until his contract is about to expire because if they finish below Philly they lose the pick. I know that is unlikely but they won't strengthen those odds by getting rid of their best player.
I disagree here. I think Cousins is as likely/more likely to be traded mid-season as a result of the Kings off season moves. When the Kings are 14-32 around the trade deadline, DMC is dragging up and down the court like he's being forced to play at gun point, and George Karl is crushing Boogie in the media on a daily basis I think he gets moved.

This is the one opportunity the Celtics seem to be positioned for.