Author Topic: Star Wars: Episode IX  (Read 29499 times)

Re: Rise Of Skywalker
« Reply #120 on: December 19, 2019, 12:25:57 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Who cares about reviews the movies the critics like usually don't so well in the box office.  It was bound to suffer without George Lucas loving careful touch folks.   Imitators rarely excel above the original and Abrahms is guilty of trope farming and using the same all gimmicks.
Well the prequels were pretty mediocre and Lucas was all over that. Star Wars has kind of mostly been mediocre outside of maybe one or two films. I think this new trilogy's problem, although it has many,  was that it was even less coherent.
Lol. Ironically, the Star Wars products I enjoy the most (Kotor 1&2, Clone Wars, Mandalorian to name a couple) are not the films.

I'd trade in this whole trilogy for a new Kotor game :(

I demand Rogue Two! And Duo.

I'm watching it regardless but reviews seem not great. Except for a Tweet I saw which said like "If I explained the actual plot of it to you you'd think I'd was making it up" which makes me extremely optimistic. Let's get weird, people!

« Reply #121 on: December 19, 2019, 12:37:02 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Who cares about reviews the movies the critics like usually don't so well in the box office.  It was bound to suffer without George Lucas loving careful touch folks.   Imitators rarely excel above the original and Abrahms is guilty of trope farming and using the same all gimmicks.
Well the prequels were pretty mediocre and Lucas was all over that. Star Wars has kind of mostly been mediocre outside of maybe one or two films. I think this new trilogy's problem, although it has many,  was that it was even less coherent.
prequels were mediocre? Lol wow

How can anyone watch this and say it’s mediocre

https://youtu.be/gibqPYT8Vis

« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2019, 12:40:57 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
If you want to get picky about Star Wars Lucas blew it with casting Hayden Christensen as Anakin.  Revenge of the Sith had the potential to be an all time classic film but that went down the tubes because Christensen couldn't act.

I actually liked the first two films of the current trilogy - as individual films - but there wasn't much continuity between them. The current arc of the story doesn't have me chomping at the bit to see the Rise of Skywalker.

On the other hand I was pumped to see Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith.

« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2019, 02:16:43 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
prequels were mediocre? Lol wow

How can anyone watch this and say it’s mediocre

https://youtu.be/gibqPYT8Vis

It's a testament to the prequels that I legit can't tell if you mean "actually they're awesome" or "actually they're awful"

« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2019, 02:29:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If you want to get picky about Star Wars Lucas blew it with casting Hayden Christensen as Anakin.  Revenge of the Sith had the potential to be an all time classic film but that went down the tubes because Christensen couldn't act.

I actually liked the first two films of the current trilogy - as individual films - but there wasn't much continuity between them. The current arc of the story doesn't have me chomping at the bit to see the Rise of Skywalker.

On the other hand I was pumped to see Return of the Jedi and Revenge of the Sith.
Hard disagree about Christensen. I believe he acted exactly as it was written for him to act. I actually think, given what Anakin is essentially all about (struggling to suppress his emotions given he was taken in by the Jedi quite old, and thus becoming quite a volatile man) that Christensen was alright in hindsight.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2019, 05:11:39 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Hayden Christensen was a great actor. His chemistry with Ewan mcgregor was perfect. I’m sure lot of people would agree with me

« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2019, 05:22:22 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
 A lot of folks I know, think Revenge of the Sith was a great movie.

People go into these movies with what they think should happen and when it doesn't they complain.   It is the way consumers are now.

« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2019, 08:54:20 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
People may dislike the prequels, at least from certain perspectives, but they present a consistent, coherent narrative, full of wonderful, unforgetable characters with clear and logical motivations. Oh, and lots of characters actually die, there are high stake situations, unlike in the new movies, where you just know everyone will survive.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 08:59:48 AM by CelticsPoetry »

« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2019, 08:59:33 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Early reviews are pretty bad for this one. Screw it, though, I’ll still be there Thursday.

What doesn’t make sense to me is that JJ Abrams and Rian  Johnson were allegedly coming at the story from completely different angles. How does that happen on a project this big?  How can you not at least have a broad outline to work from? Several of the reviews indicate the new movie is disjointed, as Abrams seems to be correcting “mistakes” from the second movie. That just seems extraordinarily sloppy for a multi-billion dollar franchise.

Overall, I enjoyed the last Jedi, despite some fairly large errors. However, iit is sounding like the entire thing was a giant waste of time, as it may not have forwarded the plot at all, other than killing off the most iconic hero in the Star Wars universe.
thats because the person above them at the top. (Kathleen Kennedy) is terrible at her job. Mismanagement is the reason for this non organized trilogy with no story arc whatsoever.

George Lucas wasn’t even invited to the premiere by Disney. He was banned from coming actually. George was reportedly extremely upset that Disney brought back palpatine because it negates the entire story arc of the original trilogy... which is true.

Does anyone even have any emotional investment in characters like rey? If she died in episode 9, I could care less

But we all know she will defeat everyone with her eyes closed. They’re more concerned with Gender equality than actual story telling

I'm not so sure that it's a gender thing as opposed to just bad storytelling in general.  I think that any hero / heroine who is flawless is going to be tough to build a good story around.  There's nothing to hold the audience's interest, nothing relatable, no suspense.  And the villain is equally boring, although I think for different reasons.

That said...  I've enjoyed both movies.  It's Star Wars on the big screen, and seeing Luke in action again was entertaining, even if it wasn't the way I would have done things.  But, if I'm being honest, they would have been way better off just filming the Timothy Zahn movies, because there's something crappy about a Star Wars where Han and Luke are both dead.
It very much is a gender thing, since Kathleen and company have been stressing the importance of women in these films (and behind them). They prance around wearing The Force is FEMALE shirts and you can see how women are portrayed in these movies (Admiral Purple hair whatever her name is scolding Poe, Rey just being better than everyone at anything, even though she's had no training). When Daisy Ridley was confronted about her charactet being a Mary Sue, she said that's sexist, becuase a male counterpart of Mary Sue does not exist. It very much is a gender thing...

« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2019, 09:02:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
but they present a consistent, coherent narrative,
Only if you like dialogue that sounds like its bad live journal fan fiction. All from GOOD actors who were directed into sounding like some sort of big budget  high school production.

George is a wonderful special effects and big idea guy, he's proven pretty bad at film making as a whole when he has total control.

All of the first three had a lot of contributors who steered the movies in directions that made them classics. The 3 prequels where he had carte blanche and total control....yikes.

« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2019, 09:25:27 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
but they present a consistent, coherent narrative,
Only if you like dialogue that sounds like its bad live journal fan fiction. All from GOOD actors who were directed into sounding like some sort of big budget  high school production.

George is a wonderful special effects and big idea guy, he's proven pretty bad at film making as a whole when he has total control.

All of the first three had a lot of contributors who steered the movies in directions that made them classics. The 3 prequels where he had carte blanche and total control....yikes.

The originals had a great overall story arc and narrative journey, were 80% fantastic, and 20% cringe. The prequals were hot garbage. I have not seen episode 9, but I personally thought that episode 7 hit the desired balance of homage, faithfulness to the spirit of episode 4-6, new special effects, and slightly new direction to launch a new trilogy. If there was any critique of it, it was mainly that it might have been too much of a rehash of prior movies; if the subsequent movies didn't break new ground, it would just be seen as a rehash. I very much liked episode 8; it made some (relatively) bold choices, brought some new direction.

I'm trying not to get episode 9 spoilers, but based on the general reviews, it sounds like it suffered from overall episodes 7-9 not having a bold single unified vision and arc, and basically re-writing on the fly to please a bunch of loud internet people and give them their beats.

« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2019, 10:09:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Hayden Christensen was a great actor. His chemistry with Ewan mcgregor was perfect. I’m sure lot of people would agree with me

Outside of the Christensen family?  I'm not so sure about that.   His acting in AOC, especially, was pretty cringe worthy.   

Doesn't really help that Lucas has never been much of a writer when it comes to character development, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2019, 10:45:30 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I think he was fine. The writing was terrible. But Star Wars has never had great writing.

« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2019, 10:46:22 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Outside of the Christensen family?  I'm not so sure about that.   His acting in AOC, especially, was pretty cringe worthy.   

Doesn't really help that Lucas has never been much of a writer when it comes to character development, though.

Not just bad character development writing. Literal bad dialogue. There's only so much you can do with that script.

« Reply #134 on: December 19, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Not just bad character development writing. Literal bad dialogue. There's only so much you can do with that script.

Absolutely.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team