Author Topic: Do people seriously believe this team can go to the finals?  (Read 5454 times)

Re: Do people seriously believe this team can go to the finals?
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Short version of "why did this happen?":

Young players don't handle changes in their roles well.

Kyrie is not very good at being the emotional leader of a young team.

The media is always going to try to generate stories and conflict out of the fact that the best player on the team is about to enter FA.

Hayward was always the key to the team taking a leap to contention and he just wasn't ready.

Guys playing for their next contract aren't necessarily focused on what's good for the team.

Smart and Horford, as great as they are, don't have enough cred in the locker room to get guys to follow their lead.

Brad has not been able to get a handle on how to deal with all of the above.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2019, 10:47:47 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
TBH...this has been a disaster of a season. From Stevens, to Kyrie's drama, to Hayward looking like a shell, to the young guys not buying in, to the lazy play on the court.

Expectations were high and should have been and it is pretty obvious that this team is just flawed. They are a chore to watch.

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
TBH...this has been a disaster of a season. From Stevens, to Kyrie's drama, to Hayward looking like a shell, to the young guys not buying in, to the lazy play on the court.

Expectations were high and should have been and it is pretty obvious that this team is just flawed. They are a chore to watch.

The most annoying aspect of it is the feeling I get that they don't really care sometimes, or they pick and choose which nights to care and put the effort in. If they don't care, why should we as fans?

Nobody on this team is playing like they have something to prove, all the time. Sometimes they do, sometimes they play like they feel their success has been pre-ordained just because they are talented. Maybe that's why they're not very likable, in comparison to less talented teams that tried harder.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2019, 10:59:11 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

The most annoying aspect of it is the feeling I get that they don't really care sometimes, or they pick and choose which nights to care and put the effort in. If they don't care, why should we as fans?

Nobody on this team is playing like they have something to prove, all the time. Sometimes they do, sometimes they play like they feel their success has been pre-ordained just because they are talented. Maybe that's why they're not very likable, in comparison to less talented teams that tried harder.

Agree with everything you are saying. Even within games it is frustrating because they just don't play hard for stretches or look like they are totally lost. The lazy, get mine offense makes it hard. They for the most part don't play hard possession to possession.

« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2019, 11:25:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
From Twitter:

@FishKzor

The thing about the Celtics, is we all know what is going on, and understand why there isn't a simple fix. The team's superstar (supposed leader) actually has zero leadership ability, and is continually attempting to lead by cutting down teammates instead of building them up.

Because he won a ring, he has a certain pedigree, and he's decided to use that as justification for his constant guidance and wisdom. It's having the complete opposite effect as these other players were able to accomplish more without him healthy, than they are with him playing.

And then THEY are the one's getting blamed for losses by him. Multiply that by the fact that he's a free agent this summer, and has wavered on his preseason commitment to the team longterm, the team is basically waiting out this marriage.

For as good as an individual NBA-talent that he is, the Boston Celtics pride themselves in their culture, and franchise harmony. From ownership, to the front office, down to the coaching staff and (until this season) their players, Boston know what it takes to build a dynasty.

Kyrie craves so much to be the father-figure to these Celtics with the same amount of energy as he despised LeBron and the media for trying to turn James into a father figure for Kyrie. Luckily for them, Boston knows they can lose Kyrie, while simultaneously losing little else.

You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2019, 12:47:05 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
This has certainly been one of the most bizarre seasons I can recall from ANY team. They have the talent to dominate (and show flashes of that... whether it’s a quarter, a game, or a week), but then come out flat and lifeless other nights.

Boneheaded plays by smart players. Bad misses on easy shots. Defensive lapses. Questionable coaching by a great coach.

Truly a Jekyll and Hyde season. Can we make the Finals? Yes. Can we get sent packing in the first round? Yes. Unless they are playing coy and actually working on things and not fretting over seeding, this team needs to do a 180 both in the locker room and on the court.

Playoffs aren’t far away, so we will know soon enough if they have that switch. The team is too talented and well-coached to not be able to come together to make some noise once things get serious.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2019, 01:04:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'd believe anything from this team. A run to the finals won't surprise me a but. Neither would a first round bounce.

My best guess is a second round exit.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2019, 01:16:51 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
From Twitter:

@FishKzor

The thing about the Celtics, is we all know what is going on, and understand why there isn't a simple fix. The team's superstar (supposed leader) actually has zero leadership ability, and is continually attempting to lead by cutting down teammates instead of building them up.

Because he won a ring, he has a certain pedigree, and he's decided to use that as justification for his constant guidance and wisdom. It's having the complete opposite effect as these other players were able to accomplish more without him healthy, than they are with him playing.

And then THEY are the one's getting blamed for losses by him. Multiply that by the fact that he's a free agent this summer, and has wavered on his preseason commitment to the team longterm, the team is basically waiting out this marriage.

For as good as an individual NBA-talent that he is, the Boston Celtics pride themselves in their culture, and franchise harmony. From ownership, to the front office, down to the coaching staff and (until this season) their players, Boston know what it takes to build a dynasty.

Kyrie craves so much to be the father-figure to these Celtics with the same amount of energy as he despised LeBron and the media for trying to turn James into a father figure for Kyrie. Luckily for them, Boston knows they can lose Kyrie, while simultaneously losing little else.

Well, if it's on Twitter, it must be true.  ::)

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2019, 01:37:58 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Be lucky get out in 1st round
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
From Twitter:

@FishKzor

Who the heck is fishKzor and why should he be given any credence over just some other poster on this site? The only thing I found was he is a tattoo artist. Is that right?

« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't know what all the handwringing is about, we're clearly tanking for the 6 seed so the Sixers can't duck us.

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
No, and right now it seems like they want to be done ASAP.

well part of the team seems disconnected at this point.  Seems like mainly players who expect to get traded or not resigned.  Unfortunately for them teams remember how you finish out a season.

Jayson Tatum has suffered the most from the drama and chemistry issues this season. Still a young kid who is going to be a big-time star in this league.
Personally, I hope he becomes that star with the Celtics, but I have full confidence in Danny trading him away.

I understand some players can be fragile, but when you declare for the draft then you have to expect everything that comes with the territory.

Part of that territory is the business side where you can be traded at any moment.

Also, I don't think that's been as big of a factor. I just think Tatum has regressed this year and still needs alot of work on his defense.