Author Topic: Mike Conley On the block (expiring contract, and first rounder)  (Read 5544 times)

Mike Conley On the block (expiring contract, and first rounder)
« on: February 17, 2010, 05:40:15 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64788/20100217/memphis_willing_to_trade_conley/

"The Grizzlies are willing to deal Mike Conley in exchange for cap relief and a first round pick, according to two sources.

Memphis believes they have the point guard position covered if Conley leaves due to Jamaal Tinsley and O.J. Mayo.

A source cautioned Conley was unlikely to be moved before the deadline."

I've always liked Conley, and would prefer him to Nate Robinson. Thoughts?

Re: Mike Conley On the block (expiring contract, and first rounder)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:40:56 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
[urlhttp://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64788/20100217/memphis_willing_to_trade_conley/[/url]

"The Grizzlies are willing to deal Mike Conley in exchange for cap relief and a first round pick, according to two sources.

Memphis believes they have the point guard position covered if Conley leaves due to Jamaal Tinsley and O.J. Mayo.

Agree entirely.

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:44:03 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
as an osu alum...i would LOVE to get mike

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
as an osu alum...

I've been on Csblog for too long today and getting bleary-eyed. When i saw this quote above, i thought for a second it was some Arabic greeting. I gotta take a break!

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 05:50:29 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
ESPN used the term "Good first round pick" so I'm guessing the C's would not be able to get it done.  But I too would like Conley over Nate if it was possible.  

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
So let me get this straight Grizzlies.... you want a "good" first round pick for a player you're shopping as your 3rd string PG... I could get Nate Robinson for that price!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:59:23 PM by StartOrien »

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
So let me get this straight Grizzlies.... you want a "good" first round pick for a player you're shopping as your 3rd string PG... I could get Nate Robinson for that price!

LOL
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 06:03:56 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
What? Really? I thought Memphis loved Conley.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 06:05:29 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Asking price, I presume.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Portland has already cashed in its expiring contracts, so they'd need a 3rd team to get involved if they are still hot for Conley.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 06:39:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
[urlhttp://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64788/20100217/memphis_willing_to_trade_conley/[/url]

Agree entirely.
Absolutely, I'd be very happy to have Mike Conley here.

I don't believe the initial report though. I can see Memphis trading Conley but for talent not cap flexibility. This is the same that has been willing to part with one of their first round draft picks for a rental of a good reserve player. Not a rebuilding team but a team that is looking to maximize their talent base for a run at the playoffs. Trading Conley for cap flexibility doesn't add up.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 06:42:09 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Agree entirely.

I don't believe the initial report though. I can see Memphis trading Conley but for talent not cap flexibility. This is the same that has been willing to part with one of their first round draft picks for a rental of a good reserve player. Not a rebuilding team but a team that is looking to maximize their talent base for a run at the playoffs. Trading Conley for cap flexibility doesn't add up.

There's another report on Real GM about how interested the Grizz are in Mason Jr. I would like to see Memphis in the playoffs with OJ at the point and Mason Jr. at the 2.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 06:43:09 PM »

Offline ajgoodman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • 'Cause there ain't no fours!

Agree entirely.

Possibly the Grizzlies are looking for cap room in order to solidify the resigning of Rudy Gay next summer.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

Agree entirely.

Possibly the Grizzlies are looking for cap room in order to solidify the resigning of Rudy Gay next summer.
Memphis only has $47 million on the payroll prior to re-signing Rudy Gay. They can easily afford him without making a salary dump and without getting anywhere close to the luxury tax threshold. It's not a factor.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »

Offline ajgoodman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • 'Cause there ain't no fours!

Agree entirely.

Memphis only has $47 million on the payroll prior to re-signing Rudy Gay. They can easily afford him without making a salary dump and without getting anywhere close to the luxury tax threshold. It's not a factor.
I stand corrected.