Author Topic: Perk should be traded this off-season  (Read 13464 times)

Re: Perk should be traded this off-season
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 04:30:30 PM »

Offline ajgoodman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • 'Cause there ain't no fours!
You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Kendrick was having a career year, and he hits a rough patch and suddenly he has no business on this team at all? He's the backbone of our defense. He'll have a good game and everyone will hop back on the bandwagon.

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 06:06:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Even if this is what Perk is for the rest of his career.  Why would you trade him?

What if, when he is a free agent, he wants about $3 million/year more than (what you think) he's worth to a longer contract than (you think) is wise and there will be teams willing to overpay him?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 06:15:47 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I love Perk, too...within reason.

I don't get it.  Eddie "Brick" House is a one-dimensional player (shooting) and marginal in other areas, and there are many people that not only are willing to let him go, but would drive him straight to Logan themselves on a 1-way trip, without an expectation to get very much in return.

We have Perk, who is also a one-dimensional player (post defense) and marginal-to-average in other areas, but who probably has a very high trade value and could return a starting-quality player at almost any position plus a pick, but somehow many vehemently argue he shouldn't be traded unless it's for Wade or something...

What gives?

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 07:03:33 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I don't get it.  Eddie "Brick" House is a one-dimensional player (shooting) and marginal in other areas, and there are many people that not only are willing to let him go, but would drive him straight to Logan themselves on a 1-way trip, without an expectation to get very much in return.

We have Perk, who is also a one-dimensional player (post defense) and marginal-to-average in other areas, but who probably has a very high trade value and could return a starting-quality player at almost any position plus a pick, but somehow many vehemently argue he shouldn't be traded unless it's for Wade or something...

What gives?

I never said that.

All I said is you don't make a panic move and trade him because you are afraid he is going to cost to much with the next contract before you even know what the salary rules are going to be at that point.

If you can trade Perk for better talent (just like any player on the Celtics) you explore the opportunity. 

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 07:14:21 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

What gives?

I never said that.

All I said is you don't make a panic move and trade him because you are afraid he is going to cost to much with the next contract before you even know what the salary rules are going to be at that point.

If you can trade Perk for better talent (just like any player on the Celtics) you explore the opportunity. 

Huh?  Did I (or anyone) suggest you said any of that?  Sorry if that was implied, as it was not intentional.  I get antsy when an idea is misrepresented later in a thread, too, but I don't see where that happened in relation to my post.

The "what gives" was general, not mentioning anyone specifically, in wondering why Eddie would be driven to the airport (and probably given a few bucks for drinks on the plane), while Perk, comparably one-dimensional, in this and other recent threads, is valued so incredibly highly.

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Given what even mediocre centers make in this league, if Perk is only going to command 8 million or so a year, he's a bargain. 

Is he mediocre on offense?  Sure, but he's serviceable.  And as far as defense is concerned, he may be the best defensive center in the league not named Duncan or Howard.  Might Camby and Chandler block more shots?  Sure, but neither are physical enough to challenge guys like Howard. 

A guy who is a dominant defensive presence in the middle isn't something you look to trade. 

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 07:40:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
Given what even mediocre centers make in this league, if Perk is only going to command 8 million or so a year, he's a bargain. 

Is he mediocre on offense?  Sure, but he's serviceable.  And as far as defense is concerned, he may be the best defensive center in the league not named Duncan or Howard.  Might Camby and Chandler block more shots?  Sure, but neither are physical enough to challenge guys like Howard. 

A guy who is a dominant defensive presence in the middle isn't something you look to trade. 

I hear what you're saying, however...

There is only one guy like Dwight Howard.  One.  We don't need him against the other 28 teams.  I think his value in defending Howard is true, but there's only one of him.  And his teammates don't get him the ball.  If we keep him primarily out of fear of Dwight Howard, that's not a smart move.

And you mention the guys getting more blocks.  It's because of their excellent help-side defense.  Perk is good, and above average, but his not dominant in that way because of his limited athleticism.

So on balance, saying he's a dominant defensive presence means valuing post defense (needed against one guy, sometimes) more than help-side defense/shot blocking (protecting the rim from all of those excellent drive to the hoop players that blow past Rondo, Ray, et. al.).  I can't go with you on that.  He's certainly a top defender, but not a dominant defensive presence.

His trade value probably exceeds his real value, but I think his real value is overstated.  It would probably be worth shopping him.  I'd take one of those other, "lesser" shot-blocking centers (who are all better offensively due to better mobility/hands) and a nice high draft pick in a second.

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 07:49:01 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385

There is only one guy like Dwight Howard.  One.  We don't need him against the other 28 teams.  I think his value in defending Howard is true, but there's only one of him.  And his teammates don't get him the ball.  If we keep him primarily out of fear of Dwight Howard, that's not a smart move.

And you mention the guys getting more blocks.  It's because of their excellent help-side defense.  Perk is good, and above average, but his not dominant in that way because of his limited athleticism.

So on balance, saying he's a dominant defensive presence means valuing post defense (needed against one guy, sometimes) more than help-side defense/shot blocking (protecting the rim from all of those excellent drive to the hoop players that blow past Rondo, Ray, et. al.).  I can't go with you on that.  He's certainly a top defender, but not a dominant defensive presence.

His trade value probably exceeds his real value, but I think his real value is overstated.  It would probably be worth shopping him.  I'd take one of those other, "lesser" shot-blocking centers (who are all better offensively due to better mobility/hands) and a nice high draft pick in a second.

I hear you to an extent.  I think the NBA was partly ruined by teams trying to draft "Shaq stoppers" in the '90s.  Consequently teams wasted draft picks on talentless 7-0 300 lbs oafs like Todd Fuller and Sagana Diop hoping that the select few games a year they played Shaq, they'd help.  Consequently, they hurt the team other games and certainly made Shaq's job easy on the defensive end, as they posed no threat to score. 

However, Perk's not one of those guys. 

In today's league, even with deflation, 8 million dollars is the going rate for a starting center, and actually a bargain for, at a minimum, one of the top 10 centers in the league. 

It'd be one thing is he was a shooting guard, small forward, or even a power forward, but centers are rare commodities.  Outside of some G.M. doing some crack and trading some up and coming star for him, I don't see how we'll ever get equal value. 

And while I don't think Perk's value is solely in guarding Howard, we need to remember that Dwight is still very young and will be around a very long time.  If we hope to continue to contend for the next couple year and beyond, we may see a lot of him in the playoffs.  Having someone like Perk shouldn't be underrated. 

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen

I hear you to an extent.  I think the NBA was partly ruined by teams trying to draft "Shaq stoppers" in the '90s.  Consequently teams wasted draft picks on talentless 7-0 300 lbs oafs like Todd Fuller and Sagana Diop hoping that the select few games a year they played Shaq, they'd help.  Consequently, they hurt the team other games and certainly made Shaq's job easy on the defensive end, as they posed no threat to score. 

However, Perk's not one of those guys. 

In today's league, even with deflation, 8 million dollars is the going rate for a starting center, and actually a bargain for, at a minimum, one of the top 10 centers in the league. 

It'd be one thing is he was a shooting guard, small forward, or even a power forward, but centers are rare commodities.  Outside of some G.M. doing some crack and trading some up and coming star for him, I don't see how we'll ever get equal value. 

And while I don't think Perk's value is solely in guarding Howard, we need to remember that Dwight is still very young and will be around a very long time.  If we hope to continue to contend for the next couple year and beyond, we may see a lot of him in the playoffs.  Having someone like Perk shouldn't be underrated. 

Yeah, I get it.  I wouldn't let him go lightly at all, but I might be more excited about what some other team might trade for him than I am about him. 

Is Dwight worried about guarding him?  Not in the least.  He's more worried about how to guard Sheed on the 18ft jumper from the wing on the pick-and-pop with Ray Allen, and there are quite a few 7-footers that can hit the 18 foot jumper and defend quite well these days.  It would be hard to replace him with someone with similar skills, but on balance, others may be more valuable.

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
Nope.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 09:15:03 PM »

Offline tgreanier

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 154
  • The Patron Saint of Defense
This may be the dumbest post ever. Perk is one of the best defensive centers in the league and is only going to get more dominant.I would hate to see him go.
Bleeding green for 36 37 years.
"Maybe we do suck. But at least we don't wear yellow."

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:16 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Kendrick was having a career year, and he hits a rough patch and suddenly he has no business on this team at all? He's the backbone of our defense. He'll have a good game and everyone will hop back on the bandwagon.

^TP
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach

^TP
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
No disrespect to originator of thread, but when I see threads like this, all I can think of is that Oldy but Goody Song from Roberta Flack back in the day:

"Where is the Love.....where is the love..." lol...

Perk will be fine, folks..no need to trade the man due to a few bad games.

For all we know the man may be injured. You know we have a roster full of players that like to play through injuries (Ray, Perk, KG, etc...)

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
problem is Kg is obviously injured and with him and Perk in the starting linup we are really really slow with our starting frontcourt. So yea he prolly will end up getting traded this offseason. We would need to get back quality though as he is a top defensive center.