Author Topic: Perk should be traded this off-season  (Read 13461 times)

Perk should be traded this off-season
« on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:32 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I think it is pretty clear that he has pretty much maxed out on his potential. It is also clear that he just isn't as good if he doesn't have a dominate PF next to him , and since KG is pretty much done the C's aren't going to have a dominate big man next to Perk. As mentioned in other threads, Perk is great against real big men like Howard and Shaq ,but is not as effective against quicker and longer centers like Bynum and Gasol and that is the way the NBA has become( long quick centers)

So here are some reasons he should be traded

- Perk will command a 8-10 mil extention after next year
- Sell while his value is high, he is not going to have a higher trade value than this off-season
- A trade of Perk and a pick could move us into the lottery where we could grab KG'S replacement

I think there is a good chance he is traded this off-season.

Re: Perk should be traded this off-season
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:59:27 AM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
If that's really how you feel, why wait?

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Will he?

Lets not forget he will be trying to get a new contract under whatever new system is in place.  

It would be silly to just dump him now.

Wait until the team knows the system they will be signing players under.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 12:15:19 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Will he?

Lets not forget he will be trying to get a new contract under whatever new system is in place.  

Well let's say even if he commands 6-8 mil under the new CBA,  it will still take up the same % of our cap space because the cap will be lowered

Danny already offered perk to memphis last year for the # 2 pick, I am not saying just dump him for nothing, but if Danny can get a top 5- 10 pick and he sees a star of the future(like he did with tyreke evans last year ) you have to pull the trigger on that. Perks value isn't going to get any higher.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Why wait until the offseason?

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Why wait until the offseason?

Well, do you see us getting a viable center replacement through a trade right now? 

If it's possible then Danny ought to consider it.  But since such a trade would probably also involve Ray, you have to think about chemistry.  Changing 2 of the starters midway through the season, even if it's a talent upgrade, is pretty risky.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:04 PM »

Online perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Perk is great for a half court, contending team. He reached his potential playing alongside KG. This team is now building around Rajon Rondo and the best kind of big man to go alongside rondo is an athletic big who likes running the floor like Amare.

As much as i love Perk, it just seems like he doesn't fit with the direction this team is moving in.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 12:33:47 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Perk is great for a half court, contending team. He reached his potential playing alongside KG. This team is now building around Rajon Rondo and the best kind of big man to go alongside rondo is an athletic big who likes running the floor like Amare.

As much as i love Perk, it just seems like he doesn't fit with the direction this team is moving in.

I'd like to see us make a trade with GS involving Randolph, even if it's a minor trade.  Randolph could go really well alongside Rondo.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
NO he's a perfect role guy, he's just put together a couple of bad games. But he's a defensively monster and the only person on the team who takes pride in getting rebounds. Plus he's super affordable for what he gives you.

Don't you guys realize what your saying, you just make threads about whoever played bad in the last game...

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Will he?

Well let's say even if he commands 6-8 mil under the new CBA,  it will still take up the same % of our cap space because the cap will be lowered

Danny already offered perk to memphis last year for the # 2 pick, I am not saying just dump him for nothing, but if Danny can get a top 5- 10 pick and he sees a star of the future(like he did with tyreke evans last year ) you have to pull the trigger on that. Perks value isn't going to get any higher.

How do you know that?  Is it a hard cap or soft cap? 

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 12:38:32 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

I completely agree, love Perk,but it doesn't make much sense to resign him if you are building around Rondo, who is at his best in the open court.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Will he?

Well from what I read , I forget where, they are trying to get rid of bird rights or at least limit them.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 12:44:24 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Will he?

Well from what I read , I forget where, they are trying to get rid of bird rights or at least limit them.

And they ripped up the first offer.

There is a lot of foot dragging.

The point is, no one knows what the new agreement will look like.  No point in moving a player because of the next contract when the rules for said contract is not in place.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Will he?

And they ripped up the first offer.

There is a lot of foot dragging.

The point is, no one knows what the new agreement will look like.  No point in moving a player because of the next contract when the rules for said contract is not in place.

I am not saying that perk isn't worth it , I would pay that to him if this was going to be a contending team for the next 3 years,but they just aren't going to be.  Your right Perk is a great role player for a championship team , problem is we aren't one after this year.

Moving forward and building around Rondo is going to be the plan. You have to get Rondo a legit 2nd option. I just don't see Perk and Rondo being a good combo goin forward.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I agree with everybody that is pointing out how much the CBA will affect the future of Perk.  I'm sure that Danny would trade Perk just like anyone else if the right deal came along, but why have a knee jerk reaction?