Author Topic: Will Cleveland drop their game against ATL to stop BOS from getting the 3rd sd?  (Read 4149 times)

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
It will be very interesting to see what Cleveland does.

They will probably rest their guys like they did last year but common sense should convince them to beat Atlanta so they face them in the second round while and Orlando and Boston battle each other. That way, Cleveland will only have to face Orlando OR Boston in the ECF, and not both.
Meh, I think Cleveland is rightfully confident in playing anyone. They need to worry about their own health and rhythm instead of match-ups.

Maybe they are confident in playing anyone but that would be a mistake in my opinion. Sure it's more prestigious to say "we don't fear anyone, everyone should fear us" but if you can get favorable matchups by losing or winning a game you should do it because otherwise it could come back to bite you.

The thing is, who's a favorable matchup to who depends on who you ask. Does anyone in Cleveland truly fear the C's, for example?

If I'm the Cavs coaching staff, I'm not in love with saying to win or lose this game based off very subjective opinion. Or at least, subjective opinion that suggests they throw games just to play this certain team possibly later rather than sooner.

I don't think that anyone on the Celts fear the Cavs either. I'd rather play Atlanta than us in the playoffs anyways, if for no other reason than the possibility that we play better in the playoffs.

Offline GreenNote

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 11
Let's just hope that the seeding does not come down to that last game.

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
I might be alone here but Orlando to me is playing the best basketball in the league. I honestly think we have a better shot at taking out Cleveland in the 2nd round than Orl.

That being said, I think it is forseeable that the Cavs will be resting their players for that game but the decision will have nothing to do with the Celtics.

If anything, they should want the Celtics in the ECF after our old guys have battles through 2 tough series.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I might be alone here but Orlando to me is playing the best basketball in the league. I honestly think we have a better shot at taking out Cleveland in the 2nd round than Orl.

I kind of agree with this too, but for a different reason: a series with Cleveland will likely be very grueling and physical, so it might be better for our old guys to get them while they're still relatively fresh.  Guarding Howard is no picnic, but Orlando overall is a more finesse-oriented team than Cleveland.

Still would prefer the 3 seed though.

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
i think the 3rd seed is best for Boston. I'd take my chances going against Orlando. I think if you are the C's you'd want to avoid Atlanta, yes Atlanta at all costs. I still believe that Perk can neutralize DHoward. And although Matt Barnes could give Pierce fits, I still like Rondo vs Nelson, Allen vs Vince, and KG vs Lewis matchups.
and I do believe that Atlanta can beat Cleveland is a 7 game series.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
i think the 3rd seed is best for Boston. I'd take my chances going against Orlando. I think if you are the C's you'd want to avoid Atlanta, yes Atlanta at all costs. I still believe that Perk can neutralize DHoward. And although Matt Barnes could give Pierce fits, I still like Rondo vs Nelson, Allen vs Vince, and KG vs Lewis matchups.
and I do believe that Atlanta can beat Cleveland is a 7 game series.
Atlanta and Boston are overwhelmingly likely to be on the opposite sides of the playoff bracket. The only way they would play each other is if Atlanta were to make the ECF, which would require them to beat either Orlando or Cleveland. I don't seem them pulling off those upsets.